UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Crosby (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30877)

ClaytonFlyerFan 04-17-2017 09:41 PM

Crosby

According to DDN, granted release today.

I guess some of you got your wish. Good luck wherever you end up, I for one had not given up on you.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...rQgLI4vV0XFfO/

Also from the same article, Kuwik still working hard and impressing Grant, and Grant hopes to have staff named yet this week

Smitty10 04-17-2017 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 504098)
According to DDN, granted release today.

I guess some of you got your wish. Good luck wherever you end up, I for one had not given up on you.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...rQgLI4vV0XFfO/

Also from the same article, Kuwik still working hard and impressing Grant, and Grant hopes to have staff named yet this week

Wow, that sure puts a huge damper on the offseason. While he's had his critics, I don't remember anyone wishing he'd leave at this point. I had hope that he'd mature at the right time and lead us next season.

I find it odd that he doesn't look at this as a golden opportunity, seems the way the offseason has played out, it played perfectly for Crosby.

jumpin' joe 04-17-2017 09:48 PM

It will be interesting to see where he ends up. He's a great young man. Unfortunately, I don't think he was ever going to be ready to quarterback our team.

jumpin' joe 04-17-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 504100)
I don't remember anyone wishing he'd leave at this point.

Oh, yes there were some. :angryfire:

jack72 04-17-2017 09:54 PM

Hopefully he is not leaving because of some of the things said on this site. Some were brutal. How ironic he leaves and we have no point guards.
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyerBob 04-17-2017 09:55 PM

From the same article- Along with dealing with the current players, Grant has tried to build a bond with the four high school players who had committed to UD and has visited each in their home state .

“I’m grateful to Jordan Davis (6-foot-4 guard from Irmo, S.C,) and Jordan Pierce (7-footer from Scotch Plains, N.J. and their decisions to stay with the program,” he said.

Wow- maybe I missed this earlier but this is great news.

Smitty10 04-17-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 504103)
Hopefully he is not leaving because of some of the things said on this site. Some were brutal. How ironic he leaves and we have no point guards.
Posted via Mobile Device

He played some brutal basketball for the majority of the season. I certainly had hopes that he would still turn into a very good PG for us once given the responsibility this upcoming season. If he's leaving because his brutal play was brutally critiqued than this kid has real issues. I'm guessing that he was certainly a player here because of the coach and now has to find another one that suits him

PerrymanFan 04-17-2017 10:02 PM

I wish Crosby well, he always had good character as a Flyer. Can't imagine why he made that decision given the opportunity in front of him, but best wishes to him.

On another hand, this quote jumped out at me about the Jordans:

“I’m grateful to Jordan Davis (6-foot-4 guard from Irmo, S.C,) and Jordan Pierce (7-footer from Scotch Plains, N.J. and their decisions to stay with the program,” he said.

Did I miss where Pierce said that he is definitively staying?

Smitty10 04-17-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerBob (Post 504104)
From the same article- Along with dealing with the current players, Grant has tried to build a bond with the four high school players who had committed to UD and has visited each in their home state .

Wow- maybe I missed this earlier but this is great news.

Wow, that's news to me. Davis of course we knew about but I heard nothing about Pierce.

ClaytonFlyerFan 04-17-2017 10:04 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

I would sure like to think he was a bit thicker skinned than that, but given how big of an @$$ some were with comments about him, who knows. Hopefully they were just keyboard warriors and no one said anything in person. I honestly felt like he had the potential when he was out of Schoochies shadow.

FlyerBob 04-17-2017 10:06 PM

Perryman, I think he may not have had the brash confidence that one needs in a PG. I recall an interview where he essentially said to the effect that you go to the next level expecting to be the best player, and then you find out that's not the situation... I'm sure I've butchered it but you get the drift.

TA111 04-17-2017 10:10 PM

AG is looking for a grad transfer and this tells me something is about to happen. Could it be Simmons?

jack72 04-17-2017 10:16 PM

If Simmons comes here now, then Crosby may be going because he felt recruited over. So be it.
Posted via Mobile Device

CvilleFlyer 04-17-2017 10:26 PM

Wow, that is a surprise! Personally, I wish him good luck because oftentimes a change in scenery is all a player needs. It is unfortunate because I felt he would show a big improvement next season. I know that Archie probably instructed him time after time not to drive down the lane and just stop with no idea what to do next! Finally, towards the end of the season, he seemed to figure it out and his turnovers went down!

It is good that there seems to be many graduate transfers out there because AG certainly needs to go after and get a good pt. guard with this latest news of Crosby leaving.

shapanud 04-17-2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 504115)
If Simmons comes here now, then Crosby may be going because he felt recruited over. So be it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Michigan people saying Simmons was on a visit to UM this weekend.

C-time 04-17-2017 10:30 PM

Well at least there won't be anymore Crosby sucks threads!

Plus it's not like his production will be that difficult to replace, and I won't have to point out in the game threads when he does something good anymore.

Flyer1986 04-17-2017 10:32 PM

Crosby may have simply been a terrible fit for the new offense. This will give Grant the chance to get both a one and done and a freshman to fit his system. I wish Crosby stayed as he seemed like a good kid just trying to figure things out. He would flourish under a run and gun system like UNCW or Central Michigan. A point guard who shoots under 50 percent from the line can be a real liability. I wish him well and hope for a couple home runs from AG.

hawkoooo 04-17-2017 10:37 PM

You Crosby haters happy now? We literally do not have a point guard. When I asked who will play PG next year in the 2017-18 thread I was mocked. Anyone still want to mock me?

Smitty10 04-17-2017 10:39 PM

The streak continues starting in 2005 and will now last until 2020. The Flyers have had a Point Guard transfer out that we could either anticipate following on another team while they sat out one year or follow while they played for another team. Meacham, Thomas, Staten, Price and Crosby. That's 15 straight seasons that a former Flyers' point guard still has NCAA eligibility.

C-time 04-17-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkoooo (Post 504125)
You Crosby haters happy now? We literally do not have a point guard. When I asked who will play PG next year in the 2017-18 thread I was mocked. Anyone still want to mock me?

Grant will find a couple point guards just wait it out. It's not like Crosby was some All American who can't be replaced. Heck most of this board had replaced him with McKinley Wright a month ago. There are a ton of grad transfers and jucos out there who want playing time and guess what. Dayton has plenty of it available.

TA111 04-17-2017 10:45 PM

There are a lot of very good pg's available on the transfer market. The Flyers will be just fine. I wish JC nothing but the best in the future, but this may be best for both parties.

hawkoooo 04-17-2017 10:49 PM

So we're going to land two grad transfer PGs? I just don't have this capacity for blind faith ya'll seem to possess.

MNFats 04-17-2017 10:52 PM

Sorry to see Crosby go. Hearing Pierce is staying is HUGE. Wonder if the massive gap at PG would be appealing to McKinley Wright...

C-time 04-17-2017 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkoooo (Post 504133)
So we're going to land two grad transfer PGs? I just don't have this capacity for blind faith ya'll seem to possess.

Just one Grad transfer and then either a Juco or a freshman.

Smitty10 04-17-2017 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 504135)
Sorry to see Crosby go. Hearing Pierce is staying is HUGE. Wonder if the massive gap at PG would be appealing to McKinley Wright...

That thought crossed my mind and I was part of the camp that said "no way does he sign back to UD". I still doubt it but it might make the role seem more appealing.

TA111 04-17-2017 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 504135)

It's going to be appealing to a lot of players. Wait for the announcements shortly.

OSU Flyer 04-17-2017 11:13 PM

Maybe he got the news about some guys coming in and that factored into his decision.

WarriorPride 04-17-2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 504139)
Maybe he got the news about some guys coming in and that factored into his decision.

Total guess on my part: AG mentioned working out players one on one. Perhaps that didn't go well. Also factor in the fact that Griffen is no longer on the staff and perhaps the grass is greener somewhere else.

maddog07 04-17-2017 11:41 PM

Could not be happier. While I wish him well somewhere else, he had to know that he was way over his head at this level. I'm certain the AG will have no problem bringing in a couple of grad transfers that will serve us well.

OSU Flyer 04-17-2017 11:45 PM

We're a little behind the 8 ball
Posted via Mobile Device

Smitty10 04-17-2017 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog07 (Post 504144)
Could not be happier. While I wish him well somewhere else, he had to know that he was way over his head at this level. I'm certain the AG will have no problem bringing in a couple of grad transfers that will serve us well.

Man, you are so full of it. Do you still wish that Darrell Davis leave also since you continually said he was over his head throughout his sophomore and part of his junior season? Or can it be that you aren't the expert evaluator of future returns that you try, badly I might add, to portray yourself?

Glen Clark 04-18-2017 12:11 AM

Crosby leaving - maddog staying
Boy, this sucks . . .

FlyingArrow 04-18-2017 12:23 AM

Not happy that Crosby is leaving. But not that upset, either. There's a chance he could turn it around and be a solid D1 point guard, but we only saw flashes of that last year. The fact that he wasn't eager for a wide open starting position (or eager to fight for it if a grad transfer shows up) indicates that it's probably better that he leaves. If he doesn't think it's a good fit for him to be a starting PG here, he's probably right.

DallasFlyer 04-18-2017 12:40 AM

Really though... who even needs a PG when you can just start 5 small forwards? And I say 5 because the rules say you can't start 6.

shocka43 04-18-2017 05:45 AM

Not wishing he left by any means, but we can only hope that his reason for leaving was due to being recruited over. At least that means there is a PG body on the way in the door.

steve 04-18-2017 06:28 AM

For all we know Grant told JC he's NOT automatically the heir apparent to be the #1 PG and that he's bringing in at least one PG and maybe even a combo G and there will be real competition.Maybe he told him he will see limited minutes based on the workout he put him through and the game clips that Grant has obviously watched of JC and all the current players..For all we know JC now has a full understanding of the new system being brought in and does not like it....

Cardsflyer 04-18-2017 07:09 AM

Can Jordan Davis play the point? I know he is a great shooter who can create shots, but can he handle the ball well enough to be a point for a year if needed with DD backing him up at times?

Go Flyers!

priceg75 04-18-2017 07:30 AM

You guys are right, we should be terribly saddened about a transferring player who proved mostly that he cannot play at this level just because he is at a position of need. Thanks for your deep insights.

Alberto Strasse 04-18-2017 08:00 AM

A New UD

University of Disarray is upon us. Good luck next year.

rollo 04-18-2017 08:02 AM

Crosby was never going to be a make-or-break player at UD so I'm filing this behind the Sammy Smith and Stephen Thomas files.

Browns 04-18-2017 08:12 AM

I'm guessing Archie probably assured him of a spot at IU.

Gazoo 04-18-2017 08:17 AM

He proved he can't play at this level. . . just like London Warren proved it in his freshman and sophomore seasons.

Uh, no. He proved nothing in his first 2 years, positive or negative, except that he can shoot a little bit and he has some potential that he may (or may not) be able to tap into as a junior.

I think AG worked him out and told him things he didn't want to hear. For example, maybe he told him "I expect my PG to score less than 5 PPG so you don't need to practice shooting all those 3's, you need to work on conditioning and ball handling only." I'm not suggesting that, just an example of something JC might not have wanted to hear.

Or the opposite: Maybe he told JC he's a better scorer than PG so maybe AG said he's going to make him the backup SG. Maybe JC fancies himself as only a PG and said no way.

jerseyflyer09 04-18-2017 08:19 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

I don't mean to sound too much like Rollo but if a kid was leaving based on UDPride posts he was never going to be successful. I think we need to get a grip

T-Bone 84 04-18-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpin' joe (Post 504102)
Oh, yes there were some. :angryfire:

No question about that, Joe. And while I was certainly frustrated a lot by his play, and voiced some of that frustration, I was only wishing for him to improve, not leave. Sort of like when you have a relative with a problem (drinking, drugs, bad life choices in general). You want to see them turn it around, and stop making the same mistakes all over again.

Good luck to you, John Crosby, wherever you land.
Posted via Mobile Device

jumpin' joe 04-18-2017 08:22 AM

When Grant was hired Crosby was quoted as saying:
“The core group, I think we’re going to stick together,” Crosby said. “We want to make some big runs. All we’re talking about is getting back and winning the A-10.”

I do think we will find out in the next couple weeks why Crosby changed his mind. In AG I trust.

oldfan 04-18-2017 08:30 AM

Disappointed,

I do not know whether Crosby would be a starter, a part time player or and end of the bench nobody on the team next year.

My take is that Crosby had a good pedigree. He was an honorable mention for McDonalds All American in high school as I recall and was recruited for some time by Maryland. How much I do not know but even to be considered gives some indication that he was considered more than a serviceable point guard in high school.

His play this year left something to be desired but then again he had the misfortune and we got the privilege of comparing him directly to the best point guard UD has had in over a generation.

My take is he had potential to be a vital part of the 2017-2018 team. But regardless of my ability to see talent I am disappointed.

My disappointment comes from his having attended UD for the past two years and not wanting to make it his home for his entire college career regardless of his playing time.

jerseyflyer09 04-18-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfan (Post 504184)
Disappointed,

I do not know whether Crosby would be a starter, a part time player or and end of the bench nobody on the team next year.

My take is that Crosby had a good pedigree. He was an honorable mention for McDonalds All American in high school as I recall and was recruited for some time by Maryland. How much I do not know but even to be considered gives some indication that he was considered more than a serviceable point guard in high school.

His play this year left something to be desired but then again he had the misfortune and we got the privilege of comparing him directly to the best point guard UD has had in over a generation.

My take is he had potential to be a vital part of the 2017-2018 team. But regardless of my ability to see talent I am disappointed.

My disappointment comes from his having attended UD for the past two years and not wanting to make it his home for his entire college career regardless of his playing time.

There are a thousand honorable mentions for mcdonalds game, literally. And besides Dayton his best scholarship offer was Rutgers, then WKU, then South Florida. I don't talk bad about players/kids but this won't have a dramatic impact. He will be replaced with, at a minimum, an equal player but hopefully one or 2 better.

TXFlyerFan 04-18-2017 08:39 AM

There's little to be gained by speculating why Crosby is leaving. We may never know the stated (or real) reason(s). For whatever complaining I did about him in games, I also continued to hope he would improve next year. He also seemed like a really good kid, so I wish him well wherever he goes. Not to rehash the who's leaving/staying confirmed thread, but

SG Davis, Davis
SF Mikesell, Williams, Landers
PF Cunningham, Kostas
C Miller, Pierce

You may or may not have Svoboda, no one seems to know. So there are currently 3 openings, potentially 4. Since we have no PG, we need at least two, preferably a grad transfer and maybe a juco. I'd go so far as to say possibly 3, with an incoming freshman PG too. But, we also have Miller and Landers injured, and Mikesell might need a procedure over the summer. That's going to eat into conditioning/workout time (maybe Rollo can catch them up). Assuming Josh is fully recovered by fall and both he and Kostas are staying, and Miller/Landers/Mikesell are also recovered, if we get the PG's we need, we should have a good team, perhaps one that can battle for the A10 championship.

T-Bone 84 04-18-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 504127)
The streak continues starting in 2005 and will now last until 2020. The Flyers have had a Point Guard transfer out that we could either anticipate following on another team while they sat out one year or follow while they played for another team. Meacham, Thomas, Staten, Price and Crosby. That's 15 straight seasons that a former Flyers' point guard still has NCAA eligibility.

Should we call it The Meacham Curse, since he's the one who started it all?

As for Crosby, there was one part of his skill set that irritated the cr@p out of me, that might be hard for him to correct at this point in his career, and that was his high dribble. As last season wore on, the difference in his ball-handling skills and Scoochie's became more and more apparent to me. Scoochie's dribble was almost always from the waist down, and often the ball would barely get above his knee. Crosby's dribble, on the other hand, would often come up to or above the waistband of his jersey, regardless of whether he was surveying the defense or attacking it. It was no wonder he got his pocket picked as much as he did.

Sorry to be picking on the kid. I honestly wish he was staying, because he does seem like a good guy, a good teammate, and a credit to the program. But maybe, as others have said, his workout with AG didn't go all that well, and he saw that his skill set didn't mesh with AG's system, so he decided to make the jump now. Regardless, best wishes to you, wherever you end up, John Crosby. And fix that high dribble! ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

ClaytonFlyerFan 04-18-2017 08:48 AM

"With all of our size and no point guard we will be a match up nightmare for opponents" Said no one ever.

DallasFlyer 04-18-2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 504188)
"With all of our size and no point guard we will be a match up nightmare for opponents" Said no one ever.

Full court lobs. Every play. No dribble offense. But seriously I am confident PGs and assistant coaches will be added to the roster.

CoffeeCan 04-18-2017 09:06 AM

Crosby Facts

1. Looks like we will see if DD can still bring the up the ball.
2. And by DD I mean Derrick Dukes
3. Hard to imagine the offense would be that different from last year
4. And if he didn't want to make a change w AG, guess what, he is making one now
5. Maybe he liked playing for a former PG?
6. Conspiracy theory: AG asked him to leave so MW sees that the show is all his?
7. More likely: JC asked if he was the man now, AG could not guarantee it
8. Hard to imagine that UDPride had anything to do with this
9. It does not matter who wants him to stay or wishes him luck or is glad he is leaving
10. Everyone's opinions matter, not just yours

ud2 04-18-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseyflyer09 (Post 504185)
There are a thousand honorable mentions for mcdonalds game, literally. And besides Dayton his best scholarship offer was Rutgers, then WKU, then South Florida. I don't talk bad about players/kids but this won't have a dramatic impact. He will be replaced with, at a minimum, an equal player but hopefully one or 2 better.

There is information that contradicts your post.

It is too bad that he is leaving, I wish him well.

Below sites indicate that Indiana, Maryland, and Rhode Island, among others, were recruiting him.

Maryland also offered him, and he took an official visit to Maryland.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Joh...cruitInterests

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...official-visit

Scout is indicating that he also had offers from VCU, SMU, and George Mason among others.

http://www.scout.com/player/170374-j...ting?year=2014

jerseyflyer09 04-18-2017 09:12 AM

mine MAY have been just based off his hs year, not prep year. Verbal Commits I think is the most viable, and that throws stanford in but leaves maryland out.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/john-crosby

San Diego Flyer 04-18-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardsflyer (Post 504168)
Can Jordan Davis play the point? I know he is a great shooter who can create shots, but can he handle the ball well enough to be a point for a year if needed with DD backing him up at times?

Go Flyers!

A D1 point guard who is capable of NCAA T level excellence year after year, has to be in the Scoochie mold or better. Jordan Davis would fit in the DD or Kyle category at pg from what I have seen and read. So yes, he could play point until we find the right one, and then switch to his natural position.

DallasFlyer 04-18-2017 09:26 AM

He will go to Maryland Eastern Shore or Towson or somewhere like that. His confidence was shaken. He needs to get that back up. Despite the opportunity in front of him, my hunch is that John felt it in his best interest to take a year to learn a new offense (which he was going to have to do at Dayton anyway) without game pressure, get his confidence up, and then hopefully have success. I believe he may also be academically driven so getting a year of grad school paid for may hold some appeal.

CoffeeCan 04-18-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 504194)
He will go to Maryland Eastern Shore or Towson or somewhere like that.

100% agree. Or the UMBC Retrievers, baby!

CT Flyer 04-18-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoffeeCan (Post 504199)
100% agree. Or the UMBC Retrievers, baby!

Or the Loyola Greyhounds

Buster Goode 04-18-2017 10:38 AM

Those options are much better for JC, I wish him well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Flyer Al 04-18-2017 11:44 AM

At one time in the past, Kostas played point guard. Just sayin'. ;)

IndianaFlyer 04-18-2017 01:04 PM

I had the privilege of talking to John at a couple of different flyer functions. He was a polite and well spoken young man. I am sorry to see him go and wish him the best.

SLUFLYER 04-18-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

OK, I will take the bait. Even at this late stage, I believe we will be fine and will have a legit point guard for 2017/18 - one that will probably be improved over what we've seen from Crosby and what most believe we would see from Crosby. Dayton is a very attractive situation and I am confident AG & Co. (whoever that Co. is) will figure it out. IMO, Crosby leaving suggests that AG & Co. probably already have it figured out and we'll have those details in due time.

I wish Crosby well. I think he could have been a contributing player for us, but there was still a lot of work to be done before he was getting the car keys from anyone.

DallasFlyer 04-18-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer Al (Post 504210)
At one time in the past, Kostas played point guard. Just sayin'. ;)

Ryan Mikesell played point guard in high school.

longtimefan67 04-18-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 504243)
Ryan Mikesell played point guard in high school.

Actually- there were times this year where I felt he was running the offense- not like Schooch but who does?
Posted via Mobile Device

Smitty10 04-19-2017 12:01 PM

Maybe this is a clue to the reason. McKinley Wright who's never had so much as a Flyers jersey gets 5 pages, over 2 since he announced his release, while John Crosby, who's played 2 seasons with the team, can't get a full page and has his thread start to die less than 2 days after his release is announced.

SLUFLYER 04-19-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 504387)
Maybe this is a clue to the reason. McKinley Wright who's never had so much as a Flyers jersey gets 5 pages, over 2 since he announced his release, while John Crosby, who's played 2 seasons with the team, can't get a full page and has his thread start to die less than 2 days after his release is announced.

That's silly.

NorthwestFlyer 04-19-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER (Post 504389)
That's silly.

No doubt. There isn't much to say other than we wish him the best in his future endeavors. It's odd that he would leave given the opportunity in front of him, but one can only speculate at this point. I was certainly rooting for him to shore up his skill set for his upperclassmen seasons. He did have a nice shot from the perimeter.

Smitty10 04-19-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER (Post 504389)
That's silly.

Kind of tongue in cheek. But does seem to reflect a percentage of fans' opinion on him. Losing a key junior player would normally have this place hopping for more than 24 hours. I find his leaving shocking and a negative, even though I have been less than impressed with his play so far. I had hopes that once he was handed the responsibility by default, he would improve.

31770 04-19-2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

YES... Not like we were going to have a point guard next season with him here unless we get a transfer or recruit!

:D

Lowd&ProUD 04-19-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 504265)
Actually- there were times this year where I felt he was running the offense- not like Schooch but who does?
Posted via Mobile Device

One of the first things I noticed about Mikesell was his ability to make really good entry passes to the post. Yes, seems like such a simple thing, but too many players have trouble with it. He does it so flawlessly and consistently, it's easy to overlook or take for granted.

OSU Flyer 05-03-2017 08:45 PM

Some Twitter buzz of a return

C-time 05-03-2017 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 506126)
Some Twitter buzz of a return

I have seen the same.

As a noted critic of Crosby's in game performance I would be happy to see him come back. I have tried to be positive when I can with him (George Mason game), and I hope that he can improve with more consistent playing time. A fresh start with a new coaching staff and system could also be good for him. I think he may have read too many tweets and message board posts and gotten down on himself and just wanted out. I hope he understands that nobody who was critical of his play disliked him as a person. UD fans on here and twitter just want UD to win and sometimes our passion comes out in a negative way. At no point do I think anybody wishes anything bad upon any UD player.

So if you're reading this JC I'd welcome you back with open arms, but please don't read the game threads because I tend to get upset when things aren't going well for the Flyers.

Lowd&ProUD 05-03-2017 09:34 PM

Heard a story last week about the reason behind Crosby leaving. As soon as I heard it, my first thought was that if this is true, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he tries to come back.

I'd rather not share the story since it was handed down at least 2 times before it got to me. But I'll say it involved Crosby getting ticked off in the heat of a moment to a form of discipline from the new regime.

The problem AG has - if all this is true - is that he has no history with Crosby to know if this is his MO or a unique one time occurrence. IMO, easier to forgive and forget if it's a one time thing vs. a pattern of behavior.

DallasFlyer 05-03-2017 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 506130)
I have seen the same.

As a noted critic of Crosby's in game performance I would be happy to see him come back. I have tried to be positive when I can with him (George Mason game), and I hope that he can improve with more consistent playing time. A fresh start with a new coaching staff and system could also be good for him. I think he may have read too many tweets and message board posts and gotten down on himself and just wanted out. I hope he understands that nobody who was critical of his play disliked him as a person. UD fans on here and twitter just want UD to win and sometimes our passion comes out in a negative way. At no point do I think anybody wishes anything bad upon any UD player.

So if you're reading this JC I'd welcome you back with open arms, but please don't read the game threads because I tend to get upset when things aren't going well for the Flyers.

Heard this a couple days ago but didn't want to post. But now quite a few others are hearing the same. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

shwag33 05-03-2017 11:02 PM

How about we just post the rumors and not talk cryptically about it? Just say it's a rumor and no harm... no need to talk like it's a secret society, its a fan message board.

TerryK_67 05-03-2017 11:09 PM

There is no doubt in my mind that John Crosby has more upside than any of the potential recruits being talked about.... It would be AWESOME were he to comeback!

Lowd&ProUD 05-03-2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shwag33 (Post 506139)
How about we just post the rumors and not talk cryptically about it? Just say it's a rumor and no harm... no need to talk like it's a secret society, its a fan message board.

If you're cool with posting rumors about college kids in public places ... have at it.

I'm not.

I shared enough for anyone to get the gist of what happened. (Lost his cool, walked out.)

DallasFlyer 05-03-2017 11:44 PM

I don't have other info just was told by someone who heard from someone else he may be having regrets. I shrugged it off and didn't give it much thought until I started seeing the stuff on twitter, suggesting to me, there may be something to that. Stay tuned I suppose.

MNFats 05-04-2017 12:18 AM

I would love to see him back. Has the physical tools. Just needed to cut down on the mental errors.

Smitty10 05-04-2017 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowd&ProUD (Post 506132)
Heard a story last week about the reason behind Crosby leaving. As soon as I heard it, my first thought was that if this is true, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he tries to come back.

I'd rather not share the story since it was handed down at least 2 times before it got to me. But I'll say it involved Crosby getting ticked off in the heat of a moment to a form of discipline from the new regime.

The problem AG has - if all this is true - is that he has no history with Crosby to know if this is his MO or a unique one time occurrence. IMO, easier to forgive and forget if it's a one time thing vs. a pattern of behavior.

I don't want to ask you to get into more specifics. I do however wonder what kind of control would the new regime have to discipline a player during the offseason. I guess what I'm saying is it seems to me that any discipline coming toward him would be from outside the basketball program.

steverino015 05-04-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowd&ProUD (Post 506144)
If you're cool with posting rumors about college kids in public places ... have at it.

I'm not.

I shared enough for anyone to get the gist of what happened. (Lost his cool, walked out.)

You are doing the right thing... all I need to know is lost his cool and walked out.... hope he returns

CE80 05-04-2017 08:54 AM

I would think a decision on JCs and UDs part needs to be made in short order. Either way, AG needs to know whether he is going forward with or without JC.

FLYER5 05-04-2017 09:03 AM

This situation may point to why the other JC has not given an interview. Growing pains under the new authority?

DallasFlyer 05-04-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 506163)
I would think a decision on JCs and UDs part needs to be made in short order. Either way, AG needs to know whether he is going forward with or without JC.

Not really. With or without JC, PG is our top target and we'd probably like 2. The pitch right now is we have no one at the position. JC coming back doesn't help the pitch. May not hurt it terribly but doesn't help. If we land a guy or two, and schollies get low, then gotta have our answer.

CE80 05-04-2017 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 506168)
Not really. With or without JC, PG is our top target and we'd probably like 2. The pitch right now is we have no one at the position. JC coming back doesn't help the pitch. May not hurt it terribly but doesn't help. If we land a guy or two, and schollies get low, then gotta have our answer.

Sure PG is top priority. Incoming freshman is an absolute but if JC is coming back, I don't think a grad transfer is absolutely necessary. Sure if you can get a quality one take him but can be pickier if we know JC will be here.

hawkoooo 05-04-2017 09:45 AM

Any human being that self identifies as a PG and comes with a pulse and some eligibility is welcome at this point. Crosby fits the bill.

BeckysTXA 05-04-2017 09:55 AM

Crosby returning helps this program next year. New coaching staff putting the guys through tough discipline/regiment helps this program for a long time. I like where this thread is going if all the pieces fall into place. And AG and Crosby ironing out a transition back can all be worked out. 20 year olds make mistakes and they can learn from them.

Viperstick 05-04-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkoooo (Post 506173)
Any human being that self identifies as a PG and comes with a pulse and some eligibility is welcome at this point. Crosby fits the bill.

I think I'll self identify as a PG today, maybe an offensive tackle tomorrow, perhaps experiment with being a horse Saturday. That's cool these days, right?

ClaytonFlyerFan 05-04-2017 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viperstick (Post 506175)
I think I'll self identify as a PG today, maybe an offensive tackle tomorrow, perhaps experiment with being a horse Saturday. That's cool these days, right?

My Browns could use a Quarterback if your free on Sundays

CT Flyer 05-04-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 506156)
I don't want to ask you to get into more specifics. I do however wonder what kind of control would the new regime have to discipline a player during the offseason. I guess what I'm saying is it seems to me that any discipline coming toward him would be from outside the basketball program.

I think if a player is on scholarship or is considered a returning member of the team that the current coaching staff has all the rights to discipline a player for off-season actions.

m21eagle45 05-04-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 506156)

Why wouldn't a coaching staff (New or not) not be able to discipline a player if the incident took place under the new staffs watch? It would make no sense for them not to be able to.

DallasFlyer 05-04-2017 10:40 AM

Not sure anything discipline-worthy here. New relationship between AG and all these guys. Everyone trying to get on the same page still. AG and Crosby may not have gotten off to a good start, but there's plenty of time yet for them to patch things up and move forward if that is what everyone wants to do.

Lowd&ProUD 05-04-2017 10:44 AM

After sleeping on this, there are more details I can share without throwing anyone under the bus.

Again, I'm not saying this happened. Someone with ties to the program is telling this story.

Story goes like this: Multiple players blew off multiple classes. (I'll leave it at that.) AG found out and called a team meeting. Had them run. And run. And run some more. At some point during all the running, Crosby had enough.

My hunch is that Crosby was not one of the players that skipped classes, hence why he took special offense. But that's total speculation on my part.

My first thought when I heard the story was that once he finds out the market for his services aren't what he wants, and once he reminds himself we are without a pg, he might be enticed to come back and beg for his spot back.

And now here we are with rumors of his return. Makes me think the story might have some elements of truth to it.

Lowd&ProUD 05-04-2017 10:48 AM

If Crosby does end up returning, all this will end up acting as a brilliant marketing campaign for Crosby.

Even the haters are rolling out the red carpet and welcoming him with open arms.

BeckysTXA 05-04-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT Flyer (Post 506180)
I think if a player is on scholarship or is considered a returning member of the team that the current coaching staff has all the rights to discipline a player for off-season actions.

I think there is a difference between only if it happened while SCHOOL is in session (i.e. Enrolled in classes, which could include summer classes) versus something happening outside of being in session. And even then, if your actions hurt the University's image/public standing, they simply don't renew your scholarship because they are all legally one year agreements.

BeckysTXA 05-04-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowd&ProUD (Post 506189)
After sleeping on this, there are more details I can share without throwing anyone under the bus.

Again, I'm not saying this happened. Someone with ties to the program is telling this story.

Story goes like this: Multiple players blew off multiple classes. AG found out and called a team meeting. Had them run. And run. And run some more. At some point during all the running, Crosby had enough.

My hunch is that Crosby was not one of the players that skipped classes, hence why he took special offense. But that's total speculation on my part.

My first thought when I heard the story was that once he finds out the market for his services aren't what he wants, and once he reminds himself we are without a pg, he might be enticed to come back and beg for his spot back.

And now here we are with rumors of his return. Makes me think the story might have some elements of truth to it.

Most coaches discipline the entire team when something like this happens. It promotes the team leaders and the entire team to self-discipline from within. Several years ago one of the volleyball players came home a little too loud after a night out. She wasn't trying to cause trouble, but she was loud. Neighbors called campus security. Coach was notified of the issue. Team enjoyed 5 am practices for about two weeks because of it.

CE80 05-04-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viperstick (Post 506175)

So if you identify yourself as a PG, are you allowed to use the PG restrooms?

SeasonTicketFan 05-04-2017 11:18 AM

We can speculate all we want.

First, discipline matters should remain internal and not public; with a notable exception of felony criminal activity

Second, Let's wait for official word on anything. We will all know one way or another in ample time. I know it is the time of the instant Internet, but the first basketball game is months away. That is time frame to have roster, etc. all worked out.

CraSch 05-04-2017 11:26 AM

In a way, I understand Crosby saying "enough is enough" if he was getting disciplined for something he didn't do. NOBODY likes that. However, if this is truly what happened, then I feel he blew a great chance at showing some leadership. Point guards should be leaders, IMHO. This was a chance to show leadership in accepting the punishment because he is part of the TEAM, but to also get on those guys that caused it to point out such conduct that causes punishments is unacceptable and he will do his best to help them avoid such conduct and to hold them accountable. However, if story is true, he may have just lost a lot of respect from his teammates. I can imagine some of the others, especially those that also were not part of the issue and thus "unfairly" punished, saying "why do I want to follow this guy? When the going got tough, he quit. Screw him, he's no leader, nor team player".

So if true, and he comes back, he may have to earn everyone's respect again, because, simply put, you do not quit on teammates and expect to easily come back from it. So in a way, I'm hoping this story is incorrect and he left for a reason that, if he returns, would seem more acceptable to his teammates. Just my 2 cents....

Radar 05-04-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan (Post 506197)
Second, Let's wait for official word on anything. We will all know one way or another in ample time. I know it is the time of the instant Internet, but the first basketball game is months away. That is time frame to have roster, etc. all worked out.

STF: do you realize you're on UDPride?