UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Golden Undefeated Award - N. Florida (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32507)

rollo 11-08-2018 05:26 AM

Golden Undefeated Award - N. Florida

You know the concept...when My Flyers win, we vote for the Royal Player of the Game. When we lose, blame must be placed accordingly! No snowflakes allowed!

There were a couple excellent efforts last night, so today's poll will have a nice mix. One player performed exactly as expected, 2 others had royally great stats and neither was expected...so vote away...the Golden Poll ends on Saturday morning.

Go Flyers! My Flyers!!

King Rollo the Royal Pollster...OUT!

Kevinob15 11-08-2018 06:39 AM

Not downplaying obi’s offensive output as he was great on that side of the ball, but his defense in the post lost my vote. If he can’t guard the big man from North florida he is going to be in big trouble in the Bahamas tournament and in conference play. Has got to show some more strength and fight down there. Jordan Davis got my vote for showing the aggressiveness on both sides of the ball.
Posted via Mobile Device

longtimefan67 11-08-2018 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinob15 (Post 561233)
Not downplaying obi’s offensive output as he was great on that side of the ball, but his defense in the post lost my vote. If he can’t guard the big man from North florida he is going to be in big trouble in the Bahamas tournament and in conference play. Has got to show some more strength and fight down there. Jordan Davis got my vote for showing the aggressiveness on both sides of the ball.
Posted via Mobile Device

From what I saw, there wasn’t a Flyer last night that could contain that guy- who the announcer said was all- conference last year. It may have been different with JC out there but that guy was a senior and definitely could play. He kept them in the game. $.02 view
Posted via Mobile Device

rollo 11-08-2018 07:14 AM

Davis needs to hit the boards more, especially in a game where Cunningham is out...FWIW, his 1 accidental rebound is unacceptable.

Flyers98 11-08-2018 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 561234)
From what I saw, there wasn’t a Flyer last night that could contain that guy- who the announcer said was all- conference last year. It may have been different with JC out there but that guy was a senior and definitely could play. He kept them in the game. $.02 view
Posted via Mobile Device

I thought (hoped) while I was watching the game that maybe Grant told Obi “don’t foul out” given that Josh was out and Frankie is apparently not ready for minutes. I didn’t even see him challenge in post one time.

NJFlyr71 11-08-2018 08:25 AM

Mikesell a close 2nd. Welcome back!

IndianaFlyer 11-08-2018 08:41 AM

It was Obi's first ever real college game. Good chance he will improve, so probably deserves the benefit of the doubt.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jeff 11-08-2018 09:18 AM

Not going to pick apart an 18 - 10 effort by a freshman. Hope all our incoming freshman are at that point.

Bet the Dayton area is sold out of sweater vests now that Mikesell looks to be in good form.

lhsgolf19 11-08-2018 09:36 AM

I'm giving Obi a pass on his defense... A Few things:

-He played a lot of minutes for his 1st Game

-Horchler is no slouch... Returning starter and He averaged a double double in conference play last year

-He will get better

Flyers98 11-08-2018 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 561269)
Not going to pick apart an 18 - 10 effort by a freshman. Hope all our incoming freshman are at that point.

Bet the Dayton area is sold out of sweater vests now that Mikesell looks to be in good form.

Not picking him apart at all. To the contrary, I was offering a plausible explanation. Unless he is being mindful of staying on the floor, I refuse to believe that a kid with that much athletic ability and competitive intensity wouldn't challenge the post moves he saw last night. I'll take what Obi gave last night 30 more times this season knowing that Josh in the lineup changes the ability to defend the post dramatically.

As for the vests, I was disappointed to see the lower bowl empty with 5 minutes left in what turned out to be a somewhat competitive game.

sabo2 11-08-2018 09:57 AM

Lots of great news. Mikesell looks healthy and showed a nice outside touch. Obi is a mobile big man who can run, shoot and jump. A double-double in his first game. Trey has the same passion and shows even more confidence. Crutcher had an outstanding floor game but is he expected to play 38 minutes a game? Cohill showed his promise and will get better with experience. Matos is a good bench player. Davis went to the hoop strong.

Weakness? With one injury, we are 7 players strong. If Crutcher is injured or in foul trouble, we appear to have no answer at present.

Strong effort. Six turnovers. Win

jack72 11-08-2018 10:10 AM

Hard to pick one guy, as all five of the nominees played great most of the time, but also had some weak moments. I give it to Landers, because he made the least mistakes mentally and physically.

Wow, how impressed are we with Obi in his first game. He is so long, strong, coordinated and quick. Not sure we have had any player physically close to him, and don't say Kostas. Love how much Davis has improved. He can now take it to the rim or shoot from anywhere and plays excellent D. He seems quicker. Very pleased with Cohill. He is an excellent freshman guard, and maybe the best defender on the team. Cohill looked fine in his limited time at point guard.

CT Flyer 11-08-2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabo2 (Post 561290)
Crutcher had an outstanding floor game but is he expected to play 38 minutes a game?

I said this is another post long ago during the off season that I feel like Grant thinks Crutcher is the type of player that can play huge minutes every night and I predicted he will average over 35 minutes per game this year. Many people poo poo'd that statement but I just got that feeling last year that Grant really trusts Crutcher and will use him early and often throughout his career. There are some guys that have that capability to play long minutes without wearing down and Crutcher seems like one of those to me.

TXFlyerFan 11-08-2018 10:30 AM

Toppin on top. For a freshman first game, with Josh out, yeah, he earned that.

CE80 11-08-2018 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT Flyer (Post 561306)
I said this is another post long ago during the off season that I feel like Grant thinks Crutcher is the type of player that can play huge minutes every night and I predicted he will average over 35 minutes per game this year. Many people poo poo'd that statement but I just got that feeling last year that Grant really trusts Crutcher and will use him early and often throughout his career. There are some guys that have that capability to play long minutes without wearing down and Crutcher seems like one of those to me.

If Crutcher is going to play those kind of minutes, Grant will need to have someone else bring the ball up the court more often - and start sooner. Davis did it a few times. One time he took is straight to the hoop.

Medford 11-08-2018 10:50 AM

He's come up with cramps two games in a row, seems like a guy that could use a bit more rest. CAG doesn't really have another PG option on the team at the moment; he used Davis to bring the ball up the court on several occasions in the send half to give Crutcher a bit of a spell for 6-8 seconds at a time.

CvilleFlyer 11-08-2018 12:29 PM

Obi rose to the occasion. Despite the pressure of starting for the first real game of his Flyer career he had the added pressure of filling in at center for Josh. He performed admirably and if he continues to improve the sky is the limit!

jack72 11-08-2018 01:24 PM

Hard to believe the trainers, and doctor, are not all over this cramp issue. Of course they may advise guys to drink certain minimum water amounts or take mineral supplements, but you know how kids are, and you even know how adults are. Hopefully the team learned a lesson about taking the trainers advice. Proper hydration is not a pre-game issue, it is an all day, every day issue.

CE80 11-08-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 561357)
Hard to believe the trainers, and doctor, are not all over this cramp issue. Of course they may advise guys to drink certain minimum water amounts or take mineral supplements, but you know how kids are, and you even know how adults are. Hopefully the team learned a lesson about taking the trainers advice. Proper hydration is not a pre-game issue, it is an all day, every day issue.

Maybe the training staff could come up with a drink. Call it something like Flyerade.

jack72 11-08-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 561359)
Maybe the training staff could come up with a drink. Call it something like Flyerade.

Love the name, but rumor is a Flyer fan already registered that name for a marijuana drink to be sold in the arena.

rollo 11-08-2018 02:17 PM

This combination should be enough

Beatty Town Coach 11-08-2018 07:23 PM

Voted for OBI, but several deserved it as well. Overall I was impressed with the team and coaching staff offensive preperation. I suspect the standard UD weakness of not having enough bigs will show its self in Bahamas, but that doesn't mean with Josh back, OBI more experienced, and the contribution of Frank, Mikesell, and Landers, that Flyers cannot improve, improvise, and give Charlie Hustle effort, to make it work.

I believe this team can challenge for the A10 CHAMPIONSHIP.

rollo 11-09-2018 09:33 AM

Opinions wanted...

3 more royal votes needed for 100! :beermug:

Swampy Meadows 11-09-2018 10:02 AM

Tom Archdeacon in The DDN says trainer Mike Mulcahey has the answer to the cramping issue: pickles:

https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sp...jiIinuZHPsBIJ/

Bill202 11-09-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabo2 (Post 561290)
Obi is a mobile big man who can run, shoot and jump.

"Shoot" is tbd in my book. Dunks and layups may not be as available against the better defensive big men he'll encounter.

Buckleyma 11-09-2018 03:53 PM

I vote for Mikesell😁. He is playing himself into a Grant coaching dilemma. He may be too good to not have on the floor just as Landers is too good not to have on the floor.

It’s either Obi in or Mikesell or its Davis in or Mikesell?

Foot speed on defense is Mikesell Achilles heel. If he can play shooting guard and play a smaller player then maybe his length (6’7”) can help him out? Even though some blogger said that he played some point guard in high school; I don’t see that happening in division 1 college.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClaytonFlyerFan 11-09-2018 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckleyma (Post 561466)
I vote for Mikesell😁. He is playing himself into a Grant coaching dilemma. He may be too good to not have on the floor just as Landers is too good not to have on the floor.

It’s either Obi in or Mikesell or its Davis in or Mikesell?
]

Despite the Fake news numbers the so called King posted in the poll above, Mikesell did lead the team with 6 assists, more than what our point guard had. However I do not see him playing point. Thus Davis and Mikesell I do not see competing against each other for minutes.

Obi and Mikesell yes. 120 minutes available at the 3,4, and 5 spots, so if we divide that time by 4 players, Obi, Josh, Landers and Mikesell that is 30 per game each, more than enough man power and minutes to go around. Matos may take a few minutes at the 3 as well.

mikeymo85 11-09-2018 04:21 PM

before Wednesday's game i would have said Josh was the player we could least afford to lose(hurt or fouls), now it is all about Jalen Crutcher. my new man crush

BeckysTXA 11-09-2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows (Post 561425)
Tom Archdeacon in The DDN says trainer Mike Mulcahey has the answer to the cramping issue: pickles:

Many NFL teams have players drink dill pickle juice on the sidelines. It really does work.

Jeff 11-09-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows (Post 561425)

Gotta try that one on the M........better not go there.

Beatty Town Coach 11-09-2018 11:06 PM

Mikesell can pretty much play every position. I'm just about not kidding. If anything were to happen to Crutcher, I would have no problem with Ryan being moved to the point. He has a "Point-Forward" nature about his well rounded court savy.

Flyer2 11-10-2018 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach (Post 561508)
Mikesell can pretty much play every position. I'm just about not kidding. If anything were to happen to Crutcher, I would have no problem with Ryan being moved to the point. He has a "Point-Forward" nature about his well rounded court savy.

I noticed Grant yelling to Mikesell what plays to call- not surprised

FlyerBob 11-10-2018 08:09 AM

My daughter’s ultimate Frisbee team drinks pickle juice during games to prevent cramps. Scientific proof!