UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   On to 2018-19 (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31988)

Lifelong Flyer Fan 07-10-2018 08:44 AM

summer workout video posted this am
https://www.facebook.com/DaytonMBB/v...7372/?sk=h_chr

MNFats 07-10-2018 01:06 PM

Here is my first guess at minutes for the year:

PG: Crutcher (30), Cohill (10)
SG: Davis (20), Cohill (10), Matos (10)
SG/SF: Mikesell (15), Landers (10), Davis(5), Matos (5), Policelli (5)
PF: Toppin (15), Landers (15), Policelli (10)
C: Cunningham (30), Toppin (10)

By Player:
Cunningham (30)
Crutcher (30)
Landers (25)
Toppin (25)
Davis (25)
Cohill (20)
Mikesell (15)
Policelli (15)
Matos (15)

Assuming AG wants to get out and run, I tried to go no more than 30 for anyone. Cunningham/Crutcher are probably better off in the 27 minute range, but I didn't want to get into that math.

Cohill could easily earn more minutes, but when in doubt I leaned on guys we've seen before. Mikesell is a wild card here - not sure if he will have any limitations or how he will look when he gets back on the court.

For now I'll go with starters being: Crutcher, Davis, Landers, Toppin, Cunningham

Feel free to disagree with me - that's half the fun!

CT Flyer 07-10-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 554408)

By Player:
Cunningham (30)
Crutcher (30)
Landers (25)
Toppin (25)
Davis (25)
Cohill (20)
Mikesell (15)
Policelli (15)
Matos (15)

Assuming AG wants to get out and run, I tried to go no more than 30 for anyone. Cunningham/Crutcher are probably better off in the 27 minute range, but I didn't want to get into that math.

Cohill could easily earn more minutes, but when in doubt I leaned on guys we've seen before. Mikesell is a wild card here - not sure if he will have any limitations or how he will look when he gets back on the court.

For now I'll go with starters being: Crutcher, Davis, Landers, Toppin, Cunningham

I see Crutcher more in the mid 30 mpg range and I would guess Landers will also play more than 30 mpg.

MNFats 07-10-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT Flyer (Post 554412)
I see Crutcher more in the mid 30 mpg range and I would guess Landers will also play more than 30 mpg.

Based on talent and competition at the position I agree, the reason I brought them down was under the assumption that we want to get out and run. No way we can expect Crutcher to run a fast paced offense for more than 30 minutes a night.

If we are OK playing slower, then I agree.

CT Flyer 07-10-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 554414)
Based on talent and competition at the position I agree, the reason I brought them down was under the assumption that we want to get out and run. No way we can expect Crutcher to run a fast paced offense for more than 30 minutes a night.

If we are OK playing slower, then I agree.

I agree that it seems like AG wants to get up and down the floor which makes sense for Crutcher to play less. But it also seems like AG trusts Crutcher a lot and wants to play the guys he trusts. Plus I feel like Crutcher plays a lot like Scoochie in that he never seems to play too fast even when we are playing fast. Some guys just have the ability to know how to pace themselves better without losing the ability to get up and down the court and Crutcher seems that way to me.

San Diego Flyer 07-10-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 554408)

By Player:
Cunningham (30)
Crutcher (30)
Landers (25)
Toppin (25)
Davis (25)
Cohill (20)
Mikesell (15)
Policelli (15)
Matos (15)

I think the above allocation is as good as any---through Atlantis, and maybe through ooc.
But not for the whole season. I can't guess beyond ooc, other than the returning players, how all the playing time will play out. I just think the cream will rise to the top and there will be some players that will excel and their contributions will not be denied. A little like Trey's career. It has to be at the expense somebody.

TA111 07-10-2018 02:34 PM

MNFats, I think you’re underestimating Mikesell. If he is truly healthy he will either be starting or first off the bench and will see much more than 15 min per game. Remember, prior to him having his hip difficulties he was a contributor on 2 NCAA teams.

Shawnee2 07-10-2018 03:11 PM

TA111 you are absolutely correct!!! Mikesell will be the starting 4 and will play 25 minutes a game if he is healthy! He stronger and bigger than folks want to give credit for??

CE80 07-10-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA111 (Post 554437)
MNFats, I think you’re underestimating Mikesell. If he is truly healthy he will either be starting or first off the bench and will see much more than 15 min per game. Remember, prior to him having his hip difficulties he was a contributor on 2 NCAA teams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee2 (Post 554442)
TA111 you are absolutely correct!!! Mikesell will be the starting 4 and will play 25 minutes a game if he is healthy! He stronger and bigger than folks want to give credit for??

Keyword IF

steve 07-10-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee2 (Post 554442)

Mikesell is an excellent passer and facilitator......Archie ran alot of offense thru him a couple years ago and that was with him coming off a hand injury that really affected his shooting..I remember that game at St Bonnie in 2017 where he looked like a 1st team A10 player getting to the hoop, hitting short jumpers, etc..

Basically, because he was not available last year, he's the one "recruit" that is a wildcard here and with his added strength can be big for UD. Depending on his health and conditioning (which should not be an issue) I can easily see him logging 23-24 mpg....

Flyer 86 07-10-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 554377)
summer workout video posted this am
https://www.facebook.com/DaytonMBB/v...7372/?sk=h_chr

is the big guy Toppin, in a lot o f the video?

The Fly 07-10-2018 04:17 PM

That’s Toppin next to Grant right as the video begins. He’s filled out nicely. The reports on him being 6-9, 220 may be accurate.

MNFats 07-10-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA111 (Post 554437)

I think SDF put a good disclaimer on my post - it's my thoughts to start the year. It becomes very fluid after that based on who's playing well, how guys develop, match ups, etc.

I like Mikesell and hope he contributes. At the same time, he's coming off a couple of surgeries and hasn't played competitive basketball in a while. I definitely see his minutes increasing as the year goes on if he stays healthy.

The real question is - if you give him more than 15 minutes, whose minutes is he taking?

As I thought about the minutes, I started to feel like the talent gap between our best player and worst player may be the smallest gap we've seen in a while. This team lacks a star player, but may end up with 9 guys that can play and compete every night.

San Diego Flyer 07-10-2018 05:12 PM

It's every coach's dream to have competition at every position, not just a backup. Josh is the only starter who won't be pushed by the backup.

I would like to see the Red and Blue with Jordan, Jaylen, Josh, Mikesell, and Trey scrimmage against Cohill, Toppin, Matos, Frankie Bowl-of-Jelly, and Ibi Watson :)

Lifelong Flyer Fan 07-10-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fly (Post 554449)
That’s Toppin next to Grant right as the video begins. He’s filled out nicely. The reports on him being 6-9, 220 may be accurate.

I was at Cronin today and passed Obi and Ibi in the hall. Obi certainly seems much bigger, more muscular than last year. Both seem taller than in pictures when you stand next to them. Polite young men too.:D

Flyer 86 07-10-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Really good size then! Much taller than Josh.

longtimefan 07-10-2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 554450)
The real question is - if you give him more than 15 minutes, whose minutes is he taking?

Maybe the question should be - who could take Mikesell's minutes? I see him as a starter.

frisco flyer 07-10-2018 07:50 PM

Obi One? Dayton announces player numbers for 2018-19 season

maddog07 07-10-2018 09:25 PM

Amazing all the hope/hype for Mikesell. For a kid who has averaged a whopping 1.6 baskets per game, has had considerable physical challenges and won't have played in 20 months, it seems some are expecting a stunning metamorphosis. Hope it happens.

San Diego Flyer 07-10-2018 10:42 PM

He is a smart player who will keep the ball from freezing in someones hands. We were short on that at times last year. I see him as a good contributor all around with possibly a better stroke from 3pt this year. He should contribute.

frisco flyer 07-11-2018 01:16 AM

Mikesell is not the most physically gifted player on the team, but he has a high basketball awareness and his presence on the court will make everyone better. It is also reasonable to expect his personal stats to improve. He showed a lot of promise as a freshmen, then his stats dropped off his sophomore year because he was playing with the hip problem all season. It is reasonable to expect him to make positive contributions without undergoing a stunning metamorphosis.

jack72 07-11-2018 08:58 AM

Obi and Frankie are both big looking kids, who will give us some size upfront.

OSU Flyer 07-11-2018 10:34 AM

My understanding from a DDN article posted earlier in the season and what other posters have said is that Mikesell is back and moving around at 100% now. So I think we should expect him to be full go next year

He is a guy that experience and has had productive games at the college level. Unless one of the newcomers take the world by storm I'd expect him to play some major minutes

To SDF's point 3 point shooting the DDN article said his hip really hampered his shooting his sophmore year so him being a 33%+ shooter from 3 is very possible

Lifelong Flyer Fan 07-11-2018 04:43 PM

Jablonski tweeted he was going to do a series of articles. This is the first . Landers Cunningham and Mikesell giving their impressions of the new team.
https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sp...52reKewB8l7pK/

sabo2 07-11-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog07 (Post 554459)
Amazing all the hope/hype for Mikesell. For a kid who has averaged a whopping 1.6 baskets per game, has had considerable physical challenges and won't have played in 20 months, it seems some are expecting a stunning metamorphosis. Hope it happens.

There is a lot more to the game than baskets scored. How many baskets did Trey score his freshman year? We have seen Mikesell play and he is a well rounded player. He has two years of experience and as coaches say" you can't teach experience." We all hope and say " if healthy." MS was our first sub last year and the game was just too fast for him. Mikesell will be a quality upgrade.

On the subject of hope and hype, a fan lives on hope and hype, especially in the off season. I need it.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 07-11-2018 06:31 PM

OSU Flyer 07-11-2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 554528)

Last year, Dayton often played the starters 35-plus minutes. It wasn’t uncommon for some starters to play all 40 minutes. That didn’t help the defense.

“It kind of wears on you,” Landers said. “At the end of the day, you’re going to try to fight through it, but you’re not always going to be 100 percent. I don’t make no excuses. We did what we did. But it’s a learning experience.”

Jaco2112 07-11-2018 07:46 PM

One other big element that was impacted by the non-existent bench was offensive rebounding. I'm pretty sure it was by design to just get back on (defense) and not risk the extra foul trouble and energy expenditure. AM did a similar thing in one of his short bench years.

All of those game elements aside, I'm most looking forward to a season without a gaggle of head-cases sitting on the bench...drawing negative attention. Wouldn't it be awesome to get through a season without some bizarre drama?

Gazoo 07-12-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog07 (Post 554459)

I think you will be disappointed all year long, MD. You want Chris Wright to come walking through those doors.

The rest of us already see what Mikesell is, and is not. Good passer, good ball handler, good shooter, good rebounder, good defensively (particularly positioning), good court awareness, good etc. Great at any one of those things? Probably not even 1, maybe court awareness.

A player with no real holes in his game, despite no exceptional skill in any one area, is a great add to the team.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 07-13-2018 02:06 PM

If anyone is interested, David Jablonski has links to 3 or 4 interviews (videos) and an article or two on his twitter page.
Interviews are the new Coach Streit, Cunningham, Landers and Mikesell.
JUst scroll down the tweets to find them.
https://twitter.com/DavidPJablonski

marco red eagle 07-13-2018 03:19 PM

Trey Landers is my favorite UD player.

He gets it. He will be successful in life.

He has no excuses AND he is concerned about how the team needs to get better.

https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sp...u6OGf7qaVpwhP/

lhsgolf19 07-13-2018 03:55 PM

Trey will be a co-captain this year along with Josh.... 100% Lock

T-Bone 84 07-13-2018 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyGola (Post 548562)
I get it, BRob, and I agree with you. It was brilliant.

Make me a 5%-er, too. Great post! :D
Posted via Mobile Device

T-Bone 84 07-13-2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Physically, Obi reminds me of Terry Ross, Class Of ‘78. Tall and lean, but strong. And, from what I can recall, Terry was a class act, and a good teammate. Obi already has that part down.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lifelong Flyer Fan 07-16-2018 07:24 PM

Trey Landers article from a few days ago, don't think it was posted anywhere.
https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sp...u6OGf7qaVpwhP/

OSU Flyer 07-21-2018 12:01 PM

a couple things I've been thinking about in the positive department for next season

-changes in NCAA rules give coaching staffs increased access to the players over the summer for things like practice. With a young team and several newcomers this can only be a positive

-assuming Davis, Crutcher, Landers and Josh are getting major minutes again they're only going to have better chemistry on the court after playing together a year and knowing the system. Last year AG had to put in a new system and none of these guys had played together before. On court chemistry and just knowing the guys you're playing with is an underrated part of success