UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mikesell update (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32234)

cj 07-16-2018 11:59 AM

Mikesell update

CJ43 07-16-2018 01:22 PM

We're going to need him this coming year. He needs to be quick enough to guard the guards and strong enough to pound down low with the bigs. If he can do those two things, hes going to be good.

San Diego Flyer 07-16-2018 02:42 PM

The article is behind the DDN wall. Is it good news or bad news about Ryan?

CE80 07-16-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 554875)
The article is behind the DDN wall. Is it good news or bad news about Ryan?

I was able to get the article by clicking the link. I think it was all good. he seems to be healthy. I forgot but he was essentially practicing with the team since November.

maddog07 07-16-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ43 (Post 554862)
We're going to need him this coming year. He needs to be quick enough to guard the guards and strong enough to pound down low with the bigs. If he can do those two things, hes going to be good.

He's never been either. Lot of hope.
Posted via Mobile Device

MNFats 07-16-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog07 (Post 554900)
He's never been either. Lot of hope.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good to see Captain Sunshine showed up!

You are using his previous performance to judge him, which for a lot of players is a fair way of looking at it. He was dealing with a fairly serious hip issue that required surgery. He now feels better than he ever has. Even in High School he had hip stiffness.

Whether or not that translates to a significant improvement is yet to be seen. But there is an actual reason for optimism, not just blind hope.

Flyers98 07-16-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 554901)
Good to see Captain Sunshine showed up!

You are using his previous performance to judge him, which for a lot of players is a fair way of looking at it. He was dealing with a fairly serious hip issue that required surgery. He now feels better than he ever has. Even in High School he had hip stiffness.

Whether or not that translates to a significant improvement is yet to be seen. But there is an actual reason for optimism, not just blind hope.

I really like Mikesell and “hope” he can help shore up some holes from last year, but quick enough to guard the guards and strong enough to bang down low sounds like a pretty good description of LeBron James. That’s a big ask, even relative to the college game.

San Diego Flyer 07-16-2018 07:11 PM

I think it is worth pointing out that Ryan, as a Freshman, played 8 minutes a game behind
Cooke, Dyshawn, Scoochie, Kyle, Kendall, DD. In limited play he shot 49%. His A/TO ratio of 1.7 was excellent. He was a savvy player, but it was hard to get onto the court behind that group. He was skinny, and that didn't help.

Clearly, his Sophomore year he was not himself, and later we found out part of the reason why.

Now, supposedly healthy, he is postured to help in many ways. Not all-league help. But savvy seasoned help, filling up the stat sheet. We need it.

ClaytonFlyerFan 07-16-2018 07:22 PM

Watch Mikesells movement and actions away from the ball and you quickly see how high his basketball IQ is.

I look for a very solid two seasons out of Ryan, and as SDF said, he will fill the stat sheet.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 07-16-2018 07:29 PM

interview with Ryan posted a few weeks ago on youtube, worth watching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=v5B4v9vRnfM

Jeff 07-16-2018 09:30 PM

Averages 10 pts + for year!

CT Flyer 07-17-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 554914)

Interesting that he classifies Archie as a his way or the highway coach and AG as more patient with players and giving them a chance to figure things out. On this board you would think it was completely opposite of that.

Flyer2 07-17-2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 554914)

What is disturbing to me is that it took until the middle of his sophomore season to finally take a MRI. Why not wait until he can’t walk without a cane.
Hats off to the training staff, team doctors, and coaches.

I know he said they tried different things such as dry needling, acupuncture, a healer, and other things to reduce pain but 2 years to do a MRI.

Treatment before diagnosis is always a great plan. Maybe he was hiding how much pain he was in but still the the staff are supposed to be trained individuals.

oldfan 07-17-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT Flyer (Post 554994)
Interesting that he classifies Archie as a his way or the highway coach and AG as more patient with players and giving them a chance to figure things out. On this board you would think it was completely opposite of that.

Some players probably need to be told exactly what to do in no uncertain terms. They are unable to handle any leeway or freedom. They actually perform better if they do not have to think or self motivate. Boot camp on steroids can make a dumbass teen into a soldier but he can flop back into his old ways once he is out of the service.

We all need discipline, some more than others need it to come from outside themselves.

SeasonTicketFan 07-17-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer2 (Post 555011)
What is disturbing to me is that it took until the middle of his sophomore season to finally take a MRI. Why not wait until he can’t walk without a cane.

I know he said they tried different things such as dry needling, acupuncture, a healer, and other things to reduce pain but 2 years to do a MRI.

Treatment before diagnosis is always a great plan. Maybe he was hiding how much pain he was in but still the the staff are supposed to be trained individuals.

When you are young, you don't want to admit injuries, especially if it impacts playing time. He is not the first player to say, "I can play through this."

You won't believe the injuries that Flyers had while on the court. Kendall Pollard had a break in his hand and played against Syracuse.

UDGutter2 07-17-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer2 (Post 555011)

Not sure how it works with college basketball, but did you ever try to get an MRI through insurance? My doctor ordered an MRI for me several times, only to have the insurance company say no. When it was finally approved and a surgeon saw it he ordered surgery a week later.

Flyer2 07-17-2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 (Post 555089)
Not sure how it works with college basketball, but did you ever try to get an MRI through insurance? My doctor ordered an MRI for me several times, only to have the insurance company say no. When it was finally approved and a surgeon saw it he ordered surgery a week later.

I found out that if you have an internist as your primary Dr. or as a referral from your primary Dr. they usually go thru without a problem. Had two this year.... lumbar spine is under $800 and the sacrum is $2500 to lay there for an hour and 20 minutes without moving. Wide mouth MRI.

Whenever you have one get a Cd of the scan before you leave and a few days later call for a hard copy of the radiologist actual report not what your family Dr. gives you. I can read an X-ray but not an MRI. The report that the radiologist makes is easy to read.

And..... the most important thing is to get a second or third opinion. I went from full spinal fusion (never do that ) to a roto ruter

Jeff 07-18-2018 06:28 PM

Could be a fractured ulna.....

Piqua Flyer '66 07-18-2018 09:44 PM

Ryan Mikesell = Jim Paxson

pmcmullen 07-18-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 (Post 555172)

Hopefully!

CE80 07-19-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Seriously? Paxson was the number 12 pick in the NBA draft and played 12 years in the NBA. I like Mikesell but don't see him matching that.

maddog07 07-19-2018 10:26 AM

We should find other comparisons like Mikesell and Paxson. How about Johnny Davis and John Crosby, or Ryan Perryman and Sam Miller. Seems that whole class matches up just as well.

longtimefan 07-19-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Style of play - yes. Talent - no.

springborofan 07-19-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Perhaps you want to be like Donald Trump and make a correction the next day..I'll help you out:

Jim Paxson > Ryan Mikesell

I like Ryan but be serious...

ClaytonFlyerFan 07-20-2018 08:14 AM

Quote:

Yo, bartender, give me what this guy is drinking or smoking :)

Seriously, I would love to be the first one in line at the all you can eat crow buffet as you laugh your ass off at all of us who poked any fun at your comment about Mikesell = Paxson.

Early indications BB IQ wise might be close, raw talent was not there. The game is much faster and different these days. But a new and improved and healthy Mikesell who knows. I will try the buffalo style crow first.

OSU Flyer 07-21-2018 12:10 PM

Mikesell has to be one of a hand full of players in the league to record a double/double against a NCAA tourney team (Vandy sophomore year)

I don't think he's a the savior of the program but for him to be successful he doesn't have to be

If you look back at some of his games his first two years he's shown some flashes of being a really productive player. Bama, Vandy and St. Bonnaventure as a Soph, SEMO as a freshman

If he can put up 8 to 10 ppg and grab 5/6 boards while providing some hustle plays I that would go along way to getting the team back on track

San Diego Flyer 07-21-2018 01:13 PM

That said, and I agree about Ryan, someone needs to break out as a scoring leader. My vote would be Trey. We can't have a team of role players. By the A10 season, maybe Cohill.

springborofan 07-21-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 555365)
That said, and I agree about Ryan, someone needs to break out as a scoring leader. My vote would be Trey. We can't have a team of role players. By the A10 season, maybe Cohill.

I could see Jordan Davis in that role this year. He showed flashes of scoring ability throughout his first season and then, I think, he grew tired near the end. I would not be surprised with him averaging 12-13 ppg this year.

OSU Flyer 07-21-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springborofan (Post 555366)
I could see Jordan Davis in that role this year. He showed flashes of scoring ability throughout his first season and then, I think, he grew tired near the end. I would not be surprised with him averaging 12-13 ppg this year.

Agree on Davis

If the guards can the ball to him consistently I think Cunningham could average nearly 20 points a game

Landers, Crutcher and Davis all seem like they could be capable of being double figure scorers to me. I don't think among the starters at least there's going to be a guy who's a blackhole on the offensive end

San Diego Flyer 07-21-2018 06:24 PM

We have 700+ shots available from the guys who left us, so plenty of opportunity for the incumbents and the newbies. That includes several hundred 3 pt chances.

I hope Jordan goes to the hole more this year to balance out his spot-up 3's. If he would do that I could see him replacing DD's lost production.

CT Flyer 07-23-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 555365)

I've said it before, I think Crutcher is going to be a score first point guard the next three years and don't be surprised to see him as the leading scorer. He has that type of makeup in my opinion. That's not to say I don't think he's going to also share the ball but he certainly looks to have a scorer's mentality.

steve 07-23-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 555368)
Agree on Davis

If the guards can the ball to him consistently I think Cunningham could average nearly 20 points a game

Landers, Crutcher and Davis all seem like they could be capable of being double figure scorers to me. I don't think among the starters at least there's going to be a guy who's a blackhole on the offensive end

If this team buys in then he could easily average at least 18-19 a game...He gets plenty of scrap/junk buckets just by his ability to rebound...It simply can't be just a perimeter offense but one that penetrates and dishes, dumps it in, etc. and with another year in the program by the young ones AND the BB IQ of Mikesell there will be plenty more touches/shots for JC.

JC was very efficient a year ago with over a 16 ppg average on just a tad over 9 FGA per game and I'd say at least 2 of those FGA's were shots off of offensive boards or loose balls..

Flyer 86 07-23-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 555374)
We have 700+ shots available from the guys who left us, so plenty of opportunity for the incumbents and the newbies. That includes several hundred 3 pt chances.

I hope Jordan goes to the hole more this year to balance out his spot-up 3's. If he would do that I could see him replacing DD's lost production.

HOPEFULLY - without the turnovers and silly unforced errors!

San Diego Flyer 07-23-2018 02:59 PM

I think with a healthy Mikesell, and a stronger Obi, Josh may have to share the boards more than last year. Factor Trey in there as well. They stick backs may not be as plentiful.

Shawnee2 07-23-2018 03:55 PM

You guys really confuse me we have 2 players who averaged double figures and 2 freshman that nearly averaged double figures, then you throw Mikesell and Obi in the mix we could quite easily have 5 guys averaging double figures and that is really strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buckleyma 07-23-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee2 (Post 555420)
You guys really confuse me we have 2 players who averaged double figures and 2 freshman that nearly averaged double figures, then you throw Mikesell and Obi in the mix we could quite easily have 5 guys averaging double figures and that is really strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawnee2: i am confused by these guys as well. Last year, this team struggled to get rebounds. This year, this roster will continue to struggle getting rebounds. Even with Josh Cunningham playing under-sized, rebounds will be hard to get. If Cunningham is out of the game ( injury or foul trouble) then this roster will depend on Landers for rebounds. Landers is a guard, no matter what a cut physical specimen he is. If you can not rebound defensively then it is difficult to run the fast break. Then we must run set plays. How well Davis, Crutcher, Landers and Cunningham run set plays will determine our success. I hope that we are under control and not chucking up 3 pointers. If we are then we will score less than 35 percent of the time and we will have mixed results.

Of those of you watching practice, can Toppin get 8 rebounds per game? If he can, then this will make the difference!
Posted via Mobile Device

Lifelong Flyer Fan 07-23-2018 05:23 PM

San Diego Flyer 07-23-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckleyma (Post 555424)
Shawnee2: i am confused by these guys as well. Last year, this team struggled to get rebounds. This year, this roster will continue to struggle getting rebounds.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not seeing the rebounding crisis you describe. We return two thirds of our rebounding this season. Subtracting DD, Xeyrius, and Kostas--- but adding a Mikesell who is 27 lbs heavier than when went under the knife, and Obi who is athletic and stronger.

Our rebounding was equal to our opponents, but not satisfactory. We have Mikesell at a real 6'8", and Obi as well. Both of them an honest 25+ lbs heavier. We have Josh and Trey and Cohill who can all jump. Good rebounding guards in Jordan and Jaylen, both with decent height and hops.

I see a challenge, but not a crisis.

marco red eagle 07-23-2018 09:55 PM

I have yet to hear anyone say this ... so here goes ... I know AG likes every player to be able to play every position ... I can see Mikesell ... if he has to ... not the original plan for a game .. I can see Mikesell play a minute or two at center ... he is 27 pounds heavier, quicker than a center?, a real 6'8" ... not ideal but servicable if Josh needs to sit with foul trouble for a few minutes ... with a smaller line up on the floor.

Runnin' Rebel 07-24-2018 08:08 AM

Where did the "real" 6'8" come from?

He looks like a legit 6'6" to me (he was listed as 6'7" on Dayton's roster the last 2 years)

Buckleyma 07-24-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel (Post 555438)

He looks like a legit 6'6" to me (he was listed as 6'7" on Dayton's roster the last 2 years)

Runnin’Rebel: i concur. Mikesell is not a division 1 Center. If he is our backup center then ....???
Posted via Mobile Device

ud2 07-24-2018 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 555431)
Good rebounding guards in Jordan and Jaylen, both with decent height and hops.

Jalen, not Jaylen, lol.

http://daytonflyers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7912

Lowd&ProUD 07-24-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco red eagle (Post 555434)
I have yet to hear anyone say this ... so here goes ... I know AG likes every player to be able to play every position ... I can see Mikesell ... if he has to ... not the original plan for a game .. I can see Mikesell play a minute or two at center ... he is 27 pounds heavier, quicker than a center?, a real 6'8" ... not ideal but servicable if Josh needs to sit with foul trouble for a few minutes ... with a smaller line up on the floor.

Per Golden State terminology, that would be our "Death lineup".

Thing is, I'm not sure whose demise would be imminent.

San Diego Flyer 07-24-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel (Post 555438)

From his mom.

San Diego Flyer 07-24-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckleyma (Post 555441)
Runnin’Rebel: i concur. Mikesell is not a division 1 Center. If he is our backup center then ....???
Posted via Mobile Device

Not that many starting A10 centers match up with Josh. It's pretty much a given that their second string center is not any better than a strong forward like Mikesell in limited minutes as a sub center. At that point we are playing 3/2 or 2/3 guards and wings without a traditional 5 anyway.

Semantics.