UDPride Discussion Forums    
     

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

» Log in
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Current roster (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32132)

TXFlyerFan 05-07-2018 10:27 PM

Current roster
 
Crutcher - So
J Davis - So
Landers - Jr
Cunningham - Sr
Mikesell - Jr
Watson - So (transfer sit)
Chatman - So (transfer sit)
Toppin - Fr (partial qualifier - 4 yrs available)
Pollicelli - Fr
Matos - Jr
Cohill - Fr

By class
Fr - 3
So - 4
Jr - 3
Sr - 1

Seems to be fairly balanced classes except Sr. Given where we are, I wouldn't be shocked if we still got a grad transfer PG and held 1 scholarship, leaving 3 for 2019.

Correct if any of these are wrong.

OSU Flyer 05-07-2018 10:34 PM

Could take a grad transfer big since it wouldn't tie up a scholarship for 19.

Could punt on a grad transfer PG and roll with Cohill

If Obi/Frankie aren't the future bigs if a big is available it would nice to get him a year of experience before Cunningham left assuming there's anything left on the board

Viperstick 05-08-2018 09:01 AM

Unless we’re planning on playing in a 6’5” and under rec league, we need some beef.

TheDuke2003 05-08-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viperstick (Post 550002)
Unless we’re planning on playing in a 6’5” and under rec league, we need some beef.

With out current roster we're going to have to rely on Toppin and/or Policelli for minutes down low, and that might be a disaster with as young and thin as they are currently.

Justin 05-08-2018 11:31 AM


BRob2Perryman3 05-08-2018 07:58 PM

Is anyone else disappointed with all this? Where is the 6'10 240lb. guy? We have plenty of guards and skinny forwards....we need some height and beef. Please AG....PLEASE.......go get a big body!!

lhsgolf19 05-08-2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 550119)
Is anyone else disappointed with all this? Where is the 6'10 240lb. guy? We have plenty of guards and skinny forwards....we need some height and beef. Please AG....PLEASE.......go get a big body!!

No... We Still have 2 Schollies left... Trust the Process lol

San Diego Flyer 05-08-2018 08:32 PM

I may be the contrarian here, but we are at some risk by scraping the bottom of the barrel for a beefy big. There are more than one Jordan Pierce's out there. What I'm hoping is that Coach Grant doesn't just settle. We just unloaded "settle".

In the A10 we can be competitive with what we have. We have Josh and Trey and a gaggle of others who can jump. Where we can get hurt is in Atlantis depending on our draw. And in the NCAA's if we are fortunate enough to have all the other skills covered without the beef.

That big beefy do everything centerpiece may not be there for us. Syracuse seems like they always have long lanky guys who can board, defend and dunk. I want one or two of those.

Whacker 05-09-2018 09:28 AM

Skill & speed beat size every time.

Buckleyma 05-09-2018 10:20 AM

Anthony Grant’s dilemma: option a) if he recruits Mr. Clean Big Body given what Dayton can recruit then the guy will be a “project” freshman or transfer needing several years to develop and will not help next year. Someone asked, but isn’t Dayton better than that? No, historically we are not. Dayton in the past has not been able to recruit straight up against the top five conferences for a Big. If a Big is any good, they 100 percent of the time go to a big state school. There have been studies on why the rich schools always get the talent. Or opption b) he recruits Mr. Got Issues Big Body with a lot more skills but with either social or criminal record history. This could be either a freshman or a transfer. But, with my own eyes, i have seen the Flyer fans on this blog respond emotionally about how inappropriate it would be to recruit someone who does not have a pristine record. The backlash from fans and the administration would be immensely overwhelming. Both the coaching staff and the kid would walk into a fire storm. This would probably be unfair for the kid, as well. So, what is an appropriate level of baggage? Apparently, being a partial academic qualifier is appropriate for the fan base but a criminal record on a kid invokes memories of dumb and dumber from Columbus Northland high school. Or opton c) recruit an undersized skilled player and “coach em’ up” and hope for the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

steve 05-09-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckleyma (Post 550153)
Anthony Grant’s dilemma: option a) if he recruits Mr. Clean Big Body given what Dayton can recruit then the guy will be a “project” freshman or transfer needing several years to develop and will not help next year. Someone asked, but isn’t Dayton better than that? No, historically we are not. Dayton in the past has not been able to recruit straight up against the top five conferences for a Big. If a Big is any good, they 100 percent of the time go to a big state school. There have been studies on why the rich schools always get the talent. Or opption b) he recruits Mr. Got Issues Big Body with a lot more skills but with either social or criminal record history. This could be either a freshman or a transfer. But, with my own eyes, i have seen the Flyer fans on this blog respond emotionally about how inappropriate it would be to recruit someone who does not have a pristine record. The backlash from fans and the administration would be immensely overwhelming. Both the coaching staff and the kid would walk into a fire storm. This would probably be unfair for the kid, as well. So, what is an appropriate level of baggage? Apparently, being a partial academic qualifier is appropriate for the fan base but a criminal record on a kid invokes memories of dumb and dumber from Columbus Northland high school. Or opton c) recruit an undersized skilled player and “coach em’ up” and hope for the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

Or D) Focus your sights on a good, young, BIG project (Archie did with Big Steve) and recruit the hell out of him and show him love every single day and hope, in turn, he remembers all that and has the type of personality where the smaller school is a better fit..
He did not need several years to develop as he was quite effective his first year eligible.

E) Hope to heck a couple local Dayton BIG kids are eating healthy food at Krogers, come from good genes, and UD can stay on "said" kid all 4 years in HS by attending every single HS BB game...

longtimefan 05-09-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckleyma (Post 550153)
But, with my own eyes, i have seen the Flyer fans on this blog respond emotionally about how inappropriate it would be to recruit someone who does not have a pristine record. The backlash from fans and the administration would be immensely overwhelming. Both the coaching staff and the kid would walk into a fire storm. This would probably be unfair for the kid, as well.

I see you're still trying to recover from your post #1010 on the 2018 recruiting thread. There is a big difference between having a "pristine" record and having three arrests in the last year.

San Diego Flyer 05-09-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whacker (Post 550151)
Skill & speed beat size every time.

I agree mostly, but not every time. Not if you are up against one of the elite programs who have speed, skill, AND good bigs. Like, say, an ELITE 8 team, or a holiday tournament where you are playing 3 games in 4 days. We saw our bouncy squad lose their legs against a bigger Florida team.

Of course there are exceptions to the above, like when we handled Stanford's big men with our quickness and big buts.

jack72 05-09-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckleyma (Post 550153)
Anthony Grant’s dilemma: option a) if he recruits Mr. Clean Big Body given what Dayton can recruit then the guy will be a “project” freshman or transfer needing several years to develop and will not help next year. Someone asked, but isn’t Dayton better than that? No, historically we are not. Dayton in the past has not been able to recruit straight up against the top five conferences for a Big. If a Big is any good, they 100 percent of the time go to a big state school. There have been studies on why the rich schools always get the talent. Or opption b) he recruits Mr. Got Issues Big Body with a lot more skills but with either social or criminal record history. This could be either a freshman or a transfer. But, with my own eyes, i have seen the Flyer fans on this blog respond emotionally about how inappropriate it would be to recruit someone who does not have a pristine record. The backlash from fans and the administration would be immensely overwhelming. Both the coaching staff and the kid would walk into a fire storm. This would probably be unfair for the kid, as well. So, what is an appropriate level of baggage? Apparently, being a partial academic qualifier is appropriate for the fan base but a criminal record on a kid invokes memories of dumb and dumber from Columbus Northland high school. Or opton c) recruit an undersized skilled player and “coach em’ up” and hope for the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

We have had this discussion before. How about option C, a guy who is a good citizen, needs one to two years to develop and turns into one of the multitude of decent big man examples not at a Big5 schools. Richmond has now had two straight, Dayton had one in Steve, Loyola has one, VCU has had a couple, Davidson has one, Bonnie's had one, etc.

hawkoooo 05-09-2018 11:10 AM

I know I'm in the minority here, but I would much rather see an eligible PG than an eligible big (if we can't have both).

lhsgolf19 05-09-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkoooo (Post 550168)
I know I'm in the minority here, but I would much rather see an eligible PG than an eligible big (if we can't have both).

Don't be surprised if Jabali Leonard is an emergency PG... With the Chatman arrival, I will be surprised if they go after another Guard

hawkoooo 05-09-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkoooo (Post 550168)
I know I'm in the minority here, but I would much rather see an eligible PG than an eligible big (if we can't have both).

That makes me feel better, though I've no knowledge of his ball handling skills. And if that is the case, why not just make him a scholarship player?

Sounds like a "Why buy a cow when you can get the milk for free?" situation.

shocka43 05-09-2018 11:26 AM

Being a post player I would like to see a nice post addition. But when I look at many successful teams, a bunch of forwards and guards can get the job done as well.

It all depends on how they are going to be used. If AG adjusts based on personnel, then one big body isn't going to help if he plans on using speed and pressure. When that big goes down to fouls, etc...now you are pot committed from a philosophy standpoint.

I am not hating on it simply because I want to see how it is used.

longtimefan 05-09-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 550169)
With the Chatman arrival, I will be surprised if they go after another Guard

Unless it's a one year grad transfer PG. But there may not be any of those out there.

flyerfan4life 05-09-2018 12:15 PM

Like I've said all along...Cohill can play back-up minutes at the point this year if necessary. So can Jordan Davis.

TXFlyerFan 05-09-2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life (Post 550181)
Like I've said all along...Cohill can play back-up minutes at the point this year if necessary. So can Jordan Davis.

If Crutcher is all you have, then it will be necessary, but that certainly doesn't make it desirable. I like Crutcher but I doubt he can play 37 mpg for every game.

CE80 05-09-2018 12:29 PM

I am not worried about a big for the 18-19 season. I am more concerned about having another one with experience for the 19-20 season after Cunningham graduates.

CE80 05-09-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan (Post 550182)
If Crutcher is all you have, then it will be necessary, but that certainly doesn't make it desirable. I like Crutcher but I doubt he can play 37 mpg for every game.

Not to mention those games where he gets in foul trouble and only plays 25 min.

flyerfan4life 05-09-2018 12:38 PM

We'll need 6-8 minutes of rest for Crutcher. I'm confident in Cohill and/or Jordan Davis running the point for that amount of time to give him a blow. I'd rather do that and keep people happy w/ playing time than sign some marginal grad transfer like the kid from Murray State everyone was wanting for some reason.

OSU Flyer 05-09-2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life (Post 550186)
We'll need 6-8 minutes of rest for Crutcher. I'm confident in Cohill and/or Jordan Davis running the point for that amount of time to give him a blow. I'd rather do that and keep people happy w/ playing time than sign some marginal grad transfer like the kid from Murray State everyone was wanting for some reason.

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Philosoraptor.jpg

OSU Flyer 05-09-2018 12:51 PM

If you're gonna have an open roster, may as well take a grad transfer versus leaving a scholarship open. Playing with house money

OSU Flyer 05-09-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 550169)
Don't be surprised if Jabali Leonard is an emergency PG... With the Chatman arrival, I will be surprised if they go after another Guard

Wouldn't Jack Westerfield be ahead of him?

Lifelong Flyer Fan 05-09-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 550191)
Wouldn't Jack Westerfield be ahead of him?

Probably, but it would depend on how he is in practice.
With Westerfield and Leonard along with the transfers sitting out, Watson and Chatman, the team should have a very good scout squad to go against in practice.

flyerfan4life 05-09-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 550190)
If you're gonna have an open roster, may as well take a grad transfer versus leaving a scholarship open. Playing with house money

Disagree. Why take a grad transfer who will ruffle the feathers of some of the other guards you have on scholarship? Unless it's truly a good grad transfer that would warrant 20 minutes a game I see no point in ruffling those feathers. Let the kids you recruited for 4 years see court time.

steve 05-09-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life (Post 550207)
Disagree. Why take a grad transfer who will ruffle the feathers of some of the other guards you have on scholarship? Unless it's truly a good grad transfer that would warrant 20 minutes a game I see no point in ruffling those feathers. Let the kids you recruited for 4 years see court time.

Yes but you better be sold on the kid that's going to be there for 4 years. In recruiting it's never the kids you don't get that get you in trouble but the kids you do get that don't pan out. Nothing about UD's current situation (coming off a terrible year with all the transfers at this stage, etc. ) reeks normal right now so you get the BEST player you can. Give me experience all day long at this juncture.....

OSU Flyer 05-09-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life (Post 550207)
Disagree. Why take a grad transfer who will ruffle the feathers of some of the other guards you have on scholarship? Unless it's truly a good grad transfer that would warrant 20 minutes a game I see no point in ruffling those feathers. Let the kids you recruited for 4 years see court time.

I think as far as the grad transfer you'd want to look for someone who's a good chemistry fit. My fear would be that if there are 9 scholarship players as stands now for next season, someone gets injured and misses some time that's a pretty big strain on the remaining guards

Buckleyma 05-09-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan (Post 550159)
I see you're still trying to recover from your post #1010 on the 2018 recruiting thread. There is a big difference between having a "pristine" record and having three arrests in the last year.

Longtimefan: you are correct. I only knew about the one arrest and didn‘t know about the rest of the stuff on this 7’1” 265 pound person who looked so good on utube. But, that’s why i asked on this blog if anybody knew anything about the guy. What surprised me was how adamant udpride people were against recruiting anyone with blemishes or maybe very bad mistakes on their records. The transfer wire is full of kids who made mistakes. Each one has a different story.
Posted via Mobile Device

Columbia Blue 05-10-2018 08:47 AM

Xavier has 3 grad transfers coming in. If chemistry is right, I'm all for it. I trust our coaches.

https://gradtransfertracker.com/2018...-basketball-1/

6'10" Malik Martin from coach Gregory's program?
https://twitter.com/russhoops/status...542962688?s=11

San Diego Flyer 05-10-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 550194)
Probably, but it would depend on how he is in practice.
With Westerfield and Leonard along with the transfers sitting out, Watson and Chatman, the team should have a very good scout squad to go against in practice.

Hoping for the next large shoe to drop. Right now the game would be small ball against small ball.

Whacker 05-10-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 550160)
I agree mostly, but not every time. Not if you are up against one of the elite programs who have speed, skill, AND good bigs. Like, say, an ELITE 8 team, or a holiday tournament where you are playing 3 games in 4 days. We saw our bouncy squad lose their legs against a bigger Florida team.

Of course there are exceptions to the above, like when we handled Stanford's big men with our quickness and big buts.

Yes, when the skill & speed are comparable then size can be the difference.

Dayton was efficient on offense and with a stable of play-making wings that AG alluded to, Flyers could be even more dangerous. With the steady diet of side PNRs AG's offense appears predicated on wings that can dribble, pass and shoot. Even with improvements on that side, any substantial gain in the win column will come from an improvement on defense. I'm curious to see how radically the defense looks. Being able to slow other teams at the point of attack will be early barometer for how the season will go.

San Diego Flyer 05-10-2018 03:05 PM

I can't recall all the specifics of our recruits, but one said he loves defense. Another had a similar quote. Seems to be an emphasis on quickness and just plain ballers throughout these recruits.

Feels a bit like a VCU recruiting path.

Hobopotamus1 05-11-2018 11:35 PM

Did anyone notice Malik Martin's hometown? Miami. This has to help. If we could get this guy, it would be very helpful. He doesn't need to score a point. He just needs to rebound and be 6'10 on d.

Buckleyma 05-12-2018 08:20 AM

[QUOTE=Whacker;550315]Yes, when the skill & speed are comparable then size can be the difference.

Whacker: Concur, in the Rhode Island vs Duke NCAA game, clearly, the difference in the game was size. Rhode Island was too small. Both teams were well coached. Both teams played as well as they could.
Posted via Mobile Device

OSU Flyer 05-12-2018 10:46 AM

[QUOTE=Buckleyma;550465]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whacker (Post 550315)
Yes, when the skill & speed are comparable then size can be the difference.

Whacker: Concur, in the Rhode Island vs Duke NCAA game, clearly, the difference in the game was size. Rhode Island was too small. Both teams were well coached. Both teams played as well as they could.
Posted via Mobile Device

Carter and Bagley had field day on their man defense. Granted those two guys are lottery picks and Duke is a really good team but that's what you face in the tourney.

Duke this year is a tough team to zone unless you've got a really effective one like Syracuse with those tall, long guys they can always put at the top of the zone.

Duke had to end playing zone for the first time this year because they couldn't defend people with two bigs out there. So having size can have some downsides.

I want to be hopeful that with Obi, Policelli and healthy Mikesell that there are the people to defend bigger 4s like a French from St. Louis. Even in the Archie era skilled stretch 4s like Tyler Cavanaugh, Peyton Aldridge, Wantanabe and TJ Cline at Richmond seemed to have field days against us.

Ibi is the guy that to me is the most intriguing guy on the team defensively. With his height and athleticism he might be able to defend bigger guys especially if we use a small ball lineup.

Going forward Taylor Funk for St. Joes, Hassan French at SLU, Sean Mobley at VCU seem like the type of 4s that have given defensive problems in the past

BRob2Perryman3 05-12-2018 10:58 AM

[QUOTE=OSU Flyer;550476]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckleyma (Post 550465)

Carter and Bagley had field day on their man defense. Granted those two guys are lottery picks and Duke is a really good team but that's what you face in the tourney.

Duke this year is a tough team to zone unless you've got a really effective one like Syracuse with those tall, long guys they can always put at the top of the zone.

Duke had to end playing zone for the first time this year because they couldn't defend people with two bigs out there. So having size can have some downsides.

I want to be hopeful that with Obi, Policelli and healthy Mikesell that there are the people to defend bigger 4s like a French from St. Louis. Even in the Archie era skilled stretch 4s like Tyler Cavanaugh, Peyton Aldridge, Wantanabe and TJ Cline at Richmond seemed to have field days against us.

Ibi is the guy that to me is the most intriguing guy on the team defensively. With his height and athleticism he might be able to defend bigger guys especially if we use a small ball lineup.

Going forward Taylor Funk for St. Joes, Hassan French at SLU, Sean Mobley at VCU seem like the type of 4s that have given defensive problems in the past

'member that that time Dayton or more specifically Dyshawn Pierre made a laughingstock out of Syracuse' vaunted zone?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement System V2.6 By   Branden

     
 
Copyright 1996-2012 UDPride.com. All Rights Reserved.