UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   UDPride Articles (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NEW ARTICLE: Our Freshman Year In Volleyball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16022)

UDBrian 11-30-2010 03:19 PM

Our Freshman Year In Volleyball

"My first year has been fun, intense, busy but manageable" was the general consensus when I met with Allyson Morey, Shayne Brown and Megan Campbell to discuss their first year playing at UD. Unfortunately Samantha Selsky was not available for this interview.

There are some very obvious changes in your first college year. You are possibly away from home for the first time. You are learning to do some things that might not have been considered important as you were growing up like cooking (how do I make instant mac and cheese), laundry and time management. As college athletes your table is much fuller because your time management skills (or lack there of) will be tested. Athletes in volleyball, soccer and football receive the toughest test because they immediately begin practicing when arriving on campus.

Allyson was the first to point out the great job that the academic advisors do to help them with study habits and time management skills. Vera Gomes was even at the volleyball selection event over the weekend. She is a huge part of this team's success.

There are many reasons players choose a particular school. Here are the reasons which Megan, Allyson and Shane gave me for choosing UD:

Megan: Volleyball and academics excellence. The atmosphere is insane.

Allyson: Overall atmosphere and intense practices. The program is headed in a great direction and the small campus fit me.

Shayne: Academics were a huge part of my decision but I also wanted to be part of an up and coming prorgram that would travel to play against other great teams.

I asked the new players if anything had really stood out as a positive surprise in their first year and here are their responses:

Megan: Volleyball team is better than I expected at this time, didn't think the team would be this good for another year or two.

Allyson: Great academic advisors and a team with the potential to make a big tournament run.

Shayne: Even though everyone talked about how good the team was going to be it is still a little surprising when it happens.

UD has truely arrived as a nationally respected volleyball program. Credit is deserved by coach Horsmon for getting the program pointed in the right direction and by coach Sheffield for pushing the current team toward it's potential. You don't spend week after week in the top 20 without talented players who work and play hard. When I asked the current players what they would tell future UD recruits this is what they said:

Megan: Must bring it in practice or be left behind. Preseason is toughest because it is all practice and no true matches.

Allyson: The team is on a mission to accomplish something, you will be doing more here than simply earning a degree.

Shayne: You will be challenged, if you are not willing to be challenged this isn't the place for you. Everything is great with the community here.

There is usually someone along the way who made a huge impact on each player to help them realize their potential. When I asked who the players would like to thank for helping them reach UD here are their responses:

Megan: I would like to thank my mom. She drove me 1 1/2 hours (while I could sleep) to my last year of club ball. Mike Langfelter my club coach did an awesome job.

Allyson: I would like to thank my parents for their support. I nearly quit after having two knee surgeries and two wrist surgeries between my freshman and senior year. My father asked me "Will you regret quiting" which made me realize I still wanted to play.

Shayne: I would like to thank Tom Pasco my club coach for two years.

Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions, it was my pleasure talking to you. As someone once said 'It is a tough job but somebody has to do it'. I will try to reach Samantha for her thoughts this week.