UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   UD Arena Fire! (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32267)

NJFlyr71 08-06-2018 07:12 AM

UD Arena Fire!

I monitor WHIO radio over the internet at times and this morning I understand that a small roof fire was discovered in a portion of the arena this morning at about 6 AM.

I also heard that they attempted to put it out using a fire extinguisher but needed a fire hose. It appears that a large fire response was made regrading the situation. As of 7 AM I believe the fire is out and they had to peel back about a 6 foot section of roofing material.

That's all I know at this time!

Not as bad as when part of the steel structure collapsed when I was there in 1968/69! :eek:

Radar 08-06-2018 08:11 AM

As firefighters worked to get to the roof of the arena, construction workers on site successfully used fire extinguishers to put out the flames.

“It was an isolated, small fire that was knocked down quickly”, said Jeff Payne, Dayton Fire Chief.

Officials say a preliminary investigation reveals that the temperature difference in the steel from structural work being done on the roof may have ignited the roofing material.

There were no injuries, and the confirmed cause of the fire is still under investigation.

The fire is not considered suspicious, officials say.

Ready Action 08-06-2018 08:26 AM

First material on roof of the new CareSource building ignited now UD Arena. Best be mo' careful with open flames I reckon!

Figgie123 08-06-2018 08:49 AM

The fire seems to occurred on the existing roof on the top of the east side 400 seats, near where the HVAC (?) ducts are at. Here's a quick zoomed in picture from the south side of the arena. (with the watermark moved for jack72):

http://static.figstats.net/images/20...hters-800w.jpg

I have a few more pictures from the east side that I'll get up onto Figstats later tonight.

Figgie

ClaytonFlyerFan 08-06-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figgie123 (Post 556187)
The fire seems to occurred on the existing roof on the top of the east side 400 seats, near where the HVAC (?) ducts are at. Here's a quick zoomed in picture from the south side of the arena. (with the watermark moved for jack72):

http://static.figstats.net/images/20...hters-800w.jpg

I have a few more pictures from the east side that I'll get up onto Figstats later tonight.

Figgie

So this looks like a picture of the new FIGSTATS.COM Arena?

Remember all the little people in your life since the arena has been named after you.

Viperstick 08-06-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 556191)

Remember all the little people in your life since the arena has been named after you.

Beat me to it

jack72 08-06-2018 09:58 AM

Sounds like, fortunately the fire was no harm, no foul.

Figgie123 08-06-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 556191)

"THE Figstats.net Arena" - including the Rooftop Royal Roundtable!

First things first .... Coca-Cola products (including Coke Zero) instead of Pepsi! :)

NJFlyr71 08-06-2018 10:11 AM

Quote:

First things first .... Coca-Cola products (including Coke Zero) instead of Pepsi!
Today 09:58 AM
RUM and Coke!

Does anyone know if Figgie is a beat reporter for WHIO? I think he was jollie on the spot before the DDN was.

rollo 08-06-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figgie123 (Post 556198)

First things first .... Coca-Cola products (including Coke Zero) instead of Pepsi! :)

How the hell did I get outbid? Or is Sir Figgie a hacker???

I demand my Arena back! Go to www.KingRolloArena.xxx and sign the petition!

Better yet, contribute to my Corporate overthrow thru GoFundMe: "KingRollo>FiggieStats"

steve 08-06-2018 10:25 AM

I believe the root cause of the fire was the insanely hot 3 point shooting opponents put up last year...

Figgie123 08-06-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 556202)
I believe the root cause of the fire was the insanely hot 3 point shooting opponents put up last year...

But only from that side of the arena. :)

sheg 08-06-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 (Post 556199)
RUM and Coke!

Does anyone know if Figgie is a beat reporter for WHIO? I think he was jollie on the spot before the DDN was.

He's sleeping in his car in the parking lot, taking a new picture every time a worker turns a screw. The smoke woke him up.

rollo 08-06-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheg (Post 556206)
He's sleeping in his car in the parking lot, taking a new picture every time a worker turns a screw. The smoke woke him up.

Cousin Figgie...
http://wearebrewstuds.com/wp-content...ith-a-beer.gifCousin

Figgie123 08-06-2018 01:34 PM

"Chimney's full."

NJFlyr71 08-06-2018 02:05 PM

I did not know that Figgie smoked cigars!

CE80 08-06-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 (Post 556215)
I did not know that Figgie smoked cigars!

He smokes Figarillo's.

sabo2 08-06-2018 05:47 PM

I remember being at the arena with my son about 30 years ago sitting in the cheap seats. Suddenly the fire alarm went off. I told my son not to worry since it was probably a mistake. Then the PA announcements asked to vacate the building. Now I'm worried. From the movement of the crowd, I could see that we really weren't going to make it out. Finally the all clear. It appears a half time baton twirler was practicing with burning ends and set the alarm off.

Figgie123 08-06-2018 09:31 PM

I've uploaded 4 other pictures to Figstats.

NJFlyr71 08-07-2018 09:20 AM

Thanks Figgie!

Your continued up-dates on anything to do with the construction on the Arena is much appreciated. Looking at pictures on the changes being made real time is better than some stock video of what it will look like when it is complete (barring any further construction excitement :eek:).

You are the roaming reporter for UD Pride!

TommyGola 08-07-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 556201)
How the hell did I get outbid? Or is Sir Figgie a hacker???

I demand my Arena back! Go to www.KingRolloArena.xxx and sign the petition!

Better yet, contribute to my Corporate overthrow thru GoFundMe: "KingRollo>FiggieStats"

Do we have a new King? Oh my, I never thought I would ever see Rollo's kingdom dismantled!!

OSU Flyer 08-07-2018 10:52 AM

Any danger this significantly delays work

Lifelong Flyer Fan 08-07-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 556239)
Any danger this significantly delays work

All reports I have heard say no impact on schedule.

Flyer68 08-07-2018 12:17 PM

Let the word go out to the A-10 teams that with our new coach, team and incoming recruits, the Dayton Flyers are on fire. Watch out, we are coming to burn you.

UDGutter2 08-07-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figgie123 (Post 556198)

Noooooooooooooo! Wait, will there still be Miller Lite served at the Arena? Then I'm good.

Flyer2 08-07-2018 08:12 PM

Roof fires can be a nightmare for firefighter on an old building. I was an engineer at the old Frigidaire Plant an while I was in the office there was a huge explosion. Went to look and the main floor was filling with smoke so i boogied my butt out of there. Called the superintendent to let him know the general area and he told me to go back in and see what happened..... right... I told him I didn't know what the smoke was from and stayed outside. One of the main plant air compressors blew and caught the roof on fire. Initially they were able to contain the fire but it soon went horizontal between one of the six layers of roofing. Took them most of the day to get everything under control.

UACFlyer 08-07-2018 09:17 PM

Also....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer2 (Post 556259)
Roof fires can be a nightmare for firefighter on an old building. I was an engineer at the old Frigidaire Plant an while I was in the office there was a huge explosion. Went to look and the main floor was filling with smoke so i boogied my butt out of there. Called the superintendent to let him know the general area and he told me to go back in and see what happened..... right... I told him I didn't know what the smoke was from and stayed outside. One of the main plant air compressors blew and caught the roof on fire. Initially they were able to contain the fire but it soon went horizontal between one of the six layers of roofing. Took them most of the day to get everything under control.

Also, in the old days roofs were sealed with a highly flammable material that provided fuel for a fire below in the building proper. One of the most famous industrial fires in history was fueled that way....the GM hydra matic transmission plant in Lavonia MI...around the mid-1950s as I recall. The plant was not sprinklered and was totally destroyed. It was the only GM plant making hydra matic transmissions.

rollo 08-08-2018 07:29 AM

That's Sir FIggie on my left...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyGola (Post 556233)
Do we have a new King? Oh my, I never thought I would ever see Rollo's kingdom dismantled!!

https://78.media.tumblr.com/ee4902a0...urwbo1_500.gif