UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sam Miller back for second semester???? (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31231)

ClaytonFlyerFan 09-19-2017 05:39 PM

Sam Miller back for second semester????

OK, did I miss something? I thought last I heard he was done for at least 1 year, but reading this article posted an hour or so ago by Jablonski it sounds like the option still exists to come back?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...L3Jke1fDotWTO/

Smitty10 09-19-2017 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 514739)
OK, did I miss something? I thought last I heard he was done for at least 1 year, but reading this article posted an hour or so ago by Jablonski it sounds like the option still exists to come back?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...L3Jke1fDotWTO/

I think the assumption was that since he won't be scholarship eligible until next year, that he would miss the whole season. If he pays his own way, I'm guessing he could be a walk-on for half a season. All depends on if the school is looking at his scholarship punishment and basketball punishment as two different entities.

If Sam has the option to play on his own dime for half a season, other pertinent questions.
Sam must decide if he wants to give up half a season of eligibility to play this season and Grant must ask himself if he wants to commit to Sam for 2018-2019.

ruechalgrin 09-19-2017 07:25 PM

Always been an option for Sam to return for the 2nd semester, but unclear what AG has said he needs to do to return in mid December. I do not see Sam ever receiving a scholarship again, but possible he might play again for UD. No inside information here.

shocka43 09-19-2017 11:07 PM

Surely hope the decision is made based on principle and not on need...

Don 09-19-2017 11:19 PM

Sam scholarship

The rules may have changed, but I seem to recall hearing that the NCAA rule is that once you recruit a player, whether he ends up with a scholarship or not, if he's on the team he counts against the scholarship limit. And recruiting is defined as ANY contact with a prospective player by a representative of the university. Even a fan otherwise unconnected with the university who contacts a player to try and influence him to come to your school is a "representative of the university" and the contact constitutes "recruiting."

If this is still correct,Sam would count against the scholarship limit next season (2018-19) even if he pays his own way. Thus, another scholarship would not be available. The only way it would be available is if Sam is not on the 2018-19 roster. This makes me think there is no way in H that Sam will be on the 2018-19 roster if an attractive recruit is available.

This rule makes sense because otherwise a team could load up on players that "pay their own way" (read: lucrative summer employment or lucrative employment for a parent) while still have the full compliment of scholarships available for other players. A team could have a 15-20 man roster of players.

TerryK_67 09-19-2017 11:35 PM

My recollection of the Miller punishment was suspension from school for a semester, and suspension from the team for a year. Has something changed?????

DallasFlyer 09-20-2017 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don (Post 514767)
The rules may have changed, but I seem to recall hearing that the NCAA rule is that once you recruit a player, whether he ends up with a scholarship or not, if he's on the team he counts against the scholarship limit. And recruiting is defined as ANY contact with a prospective player by a representative of the university. Even a fan otherwise unconnected with the university who contacts a player to try and influence him to come to your school is a "representative of the university" and the contact constitutes "recruiting."

If this is still correct,Sam would count against the scholarship limit next season (2018-19) even if he pays his own way. Thus, another scholarship would not be available. The only way it would be available is if Sam is not on the 2018-19 roster. This makes me think there is no way in H that Sam will be on the 2018-19 roster if an attractive recruit is available.

This rule makes sense because otherwise a team could load up on players that "pay their own way" (read: lucrative summer employment or lucrative employment for a parent) while still have the full compliment of scholarships available for other players. A team could have a 15-20 man roster of players.

No rule is in place that says you can't kick a guy off the team. And there is no rule that you have to give him back his scholarship. Many guys have given up scholarships and become walkons. It happens. Doug McDermott at Creighton is one example. Pitino exploited this one year and had 2 "walk on" starters. I posted a long list of examples in another thread. The one thing Dayton can't do is give Sam an academic scholarship and let him walk on. If he is on scholarship and playing basketball, he HAS to be on a basketball scholarship. The NCAA prohibits in this way teams sliding in guys under academic scholarships. That is what seems to trip people up. But if you have a guy who will pay his own way, that's an advantage that is well within the rules.

San Diego Flyer 09-20-2017 11:04 AM

When principle turns into principal

Quote:

Originally Posted by shocka43 (Post 514766)
Surely hope the decision is made based on principle and not on need...

More often than not, the decision in sports leans toward the PRINCIPAL needs of the team. Like how critical is the principle we are addressing, and how severe are the needs. (exhibit 1, #35)

superfan99 09-20-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don (Post 514767)

My guess is that this wouldn't become a widespread problem. What good would it do to have a 20 man roster? You can still only play 5 at a time. Even with a 12 man roster it is common to have players that are unhappy with their playing time. Imagine how unhappy the majority of the team would be with 20 players.

ruechalgrin 09-20-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryK_67 (Post 514768)
My recollection of the Miller punishment was suspension from school for a semester, and suspension from the team for a year. Has something changed?????

I read the initial announcement and follow-ups as very precisely worded. Miller was suspended for Fall Semester and loses his scholarship for the 2017-2018 school year. Never said Miller could not play 2nd semester as a non-scholarship player.

UD93 Steve 12-18-2017 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin (Post 514812)
I read the initial announcement and follow-ups as very precisely worded. Miller was suspended for Fall Semester and loses his scholarship for the 2017-2018 school year. Never said Miller could not play 2nd semester as a non-scholarship player.

I wonder if Sam is enrolling for next Semester? Haven’t heard anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

shocka43 12-19-2017 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UD93 Steve (Post 525611)
I wonder if Sam is enrolling for next Semester? Haven’t heard anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rumor going around he has...but...it is a rumor.

Buckleyma 12-19-2017 09:00 AM

If Sam Miller comes back to the team for the second semester, i would bet that he is way way way out of shape. It could be february before he would be able to play any significant minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device

rollo 12-19-2017 09:04 AM

Buckleyma 12-19-2017 09:08 AM

In particular, Sam would be out-of-shape if he comes to my house for the XMAS holidays and partakes in the feast that we are planning. Baby, wow! Steak and Turkey with all the accoutrements. I am looking forward to it.

Psst: Don’t tell my doctor that i am eating red meat. Psst!
Posted via Mobile Device

m21eagle45 12-19-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckleyma (Post 525652)
If Sam Miller comes back to the team for the second semester, i would bet that he is way way way out of shape. It could be february before he would be able to play any significant minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am pretty sure Sam is done from the team for the entire year. If he comes back next semester it is for school only.

Alberto Strasse 12-19-2017 03:28 PM

He is Done For a Year

The year is the 2017-18 UD Men's basketball season. A new calendar year begins 1/1/2018. I believe Sam has the opportunity to apply for reinstatement to the University in 2018 as a student. That would permit him to return to the University as a student. Reinstatement to the basketball team is a totally different consideration.

Bucketnight 12-19-2017 05:51 PM

Is it possible for him to practice with the team, not play, and maintain his eligibility? If AG said you he could come back next year as a walk-on, could he "red shirt as a walk-on" the second semester for conditioning/learning the system purposes?

Lifelong Flyer Fan 12-19-2017 06:19 PM

I recall Coach Grant saying his scholarship was revoked for a year. I never thought that precluded him from joining the team as a walkon for the rest of the season if all conditions (whatever they may be) were met. I have heard that he is enrolled.

San Diego Flyer 12-19-2017 06:28 PM

Forget basketball for a minute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 525776)
I recall Coach Grant saying his scholarship was revoked for a year. I never thought that precluded him from joining the team as a walkon for the rest of the season if all conditions (whatever they may be) were met. I have heard that he is enrolled.

He's older now. But has he grown up? He was not exactly a role model on or off the bench.

He has a lot to prove to himself, his family, his teammates.

I'm rooting for him to be a good citizen first.

shocka43 12-19-2017 07:03 PM

Scholarship revoked and paying his way to get some classes in are two different things...

UACFlyer 12-19-2017 07:34 PM

Question

Do we need this guy?

shocka43 12-19-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UACFlyer (Post 525784)
Do we need this guy?

Negative...and the guys that have been busting their butts since fall don't need the distractions and don't deserve to potentially lose time for someone who didn't walk the line after multiple warnings.

Part ways...best thing for the current players and the program. Sam should have thought about Sam when he acted a fool.

maddog07 12-19-2017 08:41 PM

absolutly not

Quote:

Originally Posted by UACFlyer (Post 525784)
Do we need this guy?

We have a lot of needs, but a soft, defensive liability, with baggage isn't one. We need the open scholarship to rebuild. Taking Sam back would be going backwards. We need players with the potential to be all A10.

UACFlyer 12-20-2017 07:00 PM

Miller

....did AM leave us with an essentially empty cupboard? Just asking.

SeasonTicketFan 12-20-2017 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UACFlyer (Post 526204)
....did AM leave us with an essentially empty cupboard? Just asking.

No. He left a roster full of A10 All Stars.

It is all Anthony’s fault.

Piqua Flyer '66 12-21-2017 11:15 AM

sure, AM fault
Steve, RIP
Mikesell surgery
Sam drunk
Mr. Minn goes to CO
All AM fault

116 Chambers 12-21-2017 03:36 PM

Not Archie's fault, but let's not kid ourselves with the talent and inexperience on this team. Archie would not be faring much better here verses Grant, just look at Indiana's record...

Archie's biggest failure appears to be the first large recruiting class he brought in (Miller, Mikesell, Xeyrius, Crosby). This class hasn't panned out, at least not yet (maaaaybe next year?)... And Archie's reluctance to go after big recruits wouldn't have given us Cohill.

Jeff 12-21-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shocka43 (Post 525791)
Negative...and the guys that have been busting their butts since fall don't need the distractions and don't deserve to potentially lose time for someone who didn't walk the line after multiple warnings.

Part ways...best thing for the current players and the program. Sam should have thought about Sam when he acted a fool.

Agree. Already have enough big guys attempting threes.