UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Major upgrades coming to the Arena (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30923)

longtimefan 05-15-2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 507460)
What UD really needs to do is an audit of how many actual parking places they have versus how many passes are issued. It is obvious based on the number of unused spaces even at sold out games that those numbers don't match.

This. Seems so simple yet they don't do it.

UACFlyer 05-15-2017 08:43 PM

Semantics

Quote:

Originally Posted by UD62 (Post 507496)
But it is a sport that the current administration has listed as a sport that has been selected to compete on a national scale. You are correct on Kissell. but that was then.

Although Kissell is gone I'll bet Neil would confirm the meaning of Ted's strategy for UD athletics. When Ted identified M/W BB and soccer and VB as our "Tier 1" sports, so to speak, he meant that those sports would be funded and emphasized so as to be able to compete for national championships. That means expectations for those five include regular participation in the NCAAs against the top Div 1 programs in the country.

In football programs identified like that incl tOSU, ND, et al., not Drake, San Diego etc.

That does not mean that baseball, softball, football, etc., are unimportant. Indeed, we have excellent facilities for essentially all sports. But, the Tier 1 sports are fully supported as regards scholarships, for example, whereas the others mentioned are not.

Ted was the first AD in UD history to map out and implement a strategy for athletics. While he is gone, his successors have followed his blue print.

As regards football, I heard Ted say that the only models that have a "chance" to make any sense financially are the top tier Div 1 (now FBS) level and the non scholarship level (FCS non schollie, Div III). Other models are guaranteed money losers, big time,....a well known fact is that many of the FBS programs lose bundles as well.

To be able to consistently field a FB team that is close competitively to the legacy Ivies for as little as ~$1 million is no small trick. And average attendance of about 3500
in a suitably-sized facility would be a very nice atmospheric, indeed. That same crowd in an 11,000 seat facility is of an atmosphere similar to Temple playing before 20,000 in 70,000 seat Lincoln Financial Field, for example.

I'm not at all lobbying for a new FB stadium...merely stating the obvious. (Sure would fit nicely on the Fairgrounds property though, wouldn't it?)

C-time 05-15-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UACFlyer (Post 507502)
I'm not at all lobbying for a new FB stadium...merely stating the obvious. (Sure would fit nicely on the Fairgrounds property though, wouldn't it?)

Come on UAC. You and I both know UD and MVH are not going to waste the fairgrounds land on a football stadium.

OSU Flyer 05-15-2017 09:29 PM

Welcome Stadium isn't that bad

FlyerinChicago 05-15-2017 09:52 PM

Back to stadium upgrades, does anyone know if the east AND west wings will be glass enclosed? I've only seen renderings showing one side with glass.
Posted via Mobile Device

priceg75 05-16-2017 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 507460)
What UD really needs to do is an audit of how many actual parking places they have versus how many passes are issued. It is obvious based on the number of unused spaces even at sold out games that those numbers don't match. Also the fact that Red Scare often offers free D-lot passes to encourage student attendance tells me that they do have extras.

Seemed like they might be going down that path with the "tearoffs" at the bottom of the parking passes. But I don't think anything is happening with those tearoffs, and I don't think that's very practical to do any kind of audit. Think the tearoffs were just to make it harder to counterfeit the passes... but even so, I doubt the parking staff are doing any kind of vetting of passes.

THirt 05-16-2017 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priceg75 (Post 507515)
Seemed like they might be going down that path with the "tearoffs" at the bottom of the parking passes. But I don't think anything is happening with those tearoffs, and I don't think that's very practical to do any kind of audit. Think the tearoffs were just to make it harder to counterfeit the passes... but even so, I doubt the parking staff are doing any kind of vetting of passes.

They caught a counterfeiter this season through the use of the tear offs. So they certainly are looking at them.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClaytonFlyerFan 05-16-2017 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priceg75 (Post 507515)

Tear offs are useless, on more than one occasion in C lot they would just wave a bunch of cars through when traffic back ups were the worse.

It is much simpler to drive through the two (that I know of) empty areas in the lot just before halftime and count empty spots, the old fashioned way.

BRob2Perryman3 05-16-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THirt (Post 507516)
They caught a counterfeiter this season through the use of the tear offs. So they certainly are looking at them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats awesome. I hope if they are a season tix holder they revoke their tix. Drop the hammer on those people. They are responsible for this parking mess.

THirt 05-16-2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 507518)
Thats awesome. I hope if they are a season tix holder they revoke their tix. Drop the hammer on those people. They are responsible for this parking mess.

https://twitter.com/aktschuor/status/834193886193020928

https://twitter.com/aktschuor/status/834194376331034625
Posted via Mobile Device

priceg75 05-16-2017 08:44 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Don't want to make this the "complain about parking in Lot O" thread, but I didn't know they were doing anything like that.

Seems labor intensive and not very efficient, but at least they are trying to do something.

rollo 05-16-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THirt (Post 507519)

'B' lot is the absolute WRONG place to be making fake parking passes. The rich and famous amongst us won't tolerate the common folk infiltrating their borders.

mikeymo85 05-16-2017 09:12 AM

if they are counting the parking stubs and there are "many" spots open even during sell outs,
WTF?

ud2 05-16-2017 09:51 AM

I hope they do an audit of the cash for the parking too.

That should not be hard to do, just multiply the cost times the number of cars. Right?

A friend, who was a UD grad, of a friend, told me that he was pocketing some of that money when he was working as a parking attendant. That is a real, real scummy thing to do IMO.

C-time 05-16-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THirt (Post 507516)
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by THirt (Post 507519)

If you look closely at the thread it's not like UD really caught Richard(Dick) Cummings. The name, barcode, & account # were all faked as Adam Tschuor admitted in the thread, and he also said they only scan them after the fact. So do they tell the parking attendants to look for Dick Cummings on every pass so they can catch the culprit? That won't happen and even if they do Dick Cummings can just start changing the name and account # on the pass for every game.

I'm pretty sure Ben Dover, Mike Litoris, Dick Champion, Joe King, and their cousins will show at some games too.

The only way to actually catch the people making the fake passes is to scan every single pass upon entry just like they scan your ticket to go into the game. That would be an absolute nightmare.

mikeymo85 05-16-2017 10:53 AM

even with the fake passes there are "many" empty spaces.

ud2 05-16-2017 10:54 AM

http://i68.tinypic.com/20seic7.jpg

Or just equip, anybody who is handling cash, with a handheld parking receipt printer. That would make audits much, much easier by leaving a paper trail.

I do not think that would slow things down, people already have to stop and pay to begin with.

mikeymo85 05-16-2017 10:56 AM

I don't need a B lot pass with all the elites. Make their passes holograms. Just SELL me a D lot pass.

longtimefan 05-16-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 507539)
http://i68.tinypic.com/20seic7.jpg

Or just equip, anybody who is handling cash, with a handheld parking receipt printer. That would make audits much, much easier by leaving a paper trail.

I do not think that would slow things down, people already have to stop and pay to begin with.

At what lot(s) do people stop and pay?

UD_Earl 05-16-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymo85 (Post 507540)
I don't need a B lot pass with all the elites. Make their passes holograms. Just SELL me a D lot pass.

All of the talk of the "Elite's" is very tiring. I have taught my kids to never envy anyone. If some one has more than them, I want my kids to understand that generally they or someone before them worked hard for it. I teach them not to begrudge anyone for what they have, or look down upon anyone for what they do not have. Life is full of decisions.

For better or worse, the reality is that those "elite's" pay not all, but a lot of the "freight" through donations, ticket costs, and seat licenses. Without "them" - there would have not been a top 10 salary offer to Archie.

If you do not like your station in life, do something about it, but don't begrudge anyone...it is not very manly in my opinion.

ud2 05-16-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan (Post 507546)
At what lot(s) do people stop and pay?

First Four games now IINM...The regular season games IINM used to feature at least some cash parking a while ago...I assume that was when the friend of a friend, that I was referring to, was doing the stealing of the parking money.

https://daytonhoopla.com/tickets/parking/

During the NCAA Tournament First Four, all parking lots are either pass only ($10.00 each night, or $15.00 for a two-night pass) or cash only ($10.00) on the day of the game. To secure a parking pass in these lots, you must do so on a first-come, first-served basis. Please contact the University of Dayton ProSoure Ticket Office for a list of all available locations around UD Arena – by calling (937) 229-4433 or via email to FlyerTickets@udayton.edu.

longtimefan 05-16-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 507558)
First Four games now...The regular season games IINM used to feature at least some cash parking a while ago...I assume that was when the friend of a friend, that I was referring to, was doing the stealing of the parking money.

Ok. I didn't think there was any cash parking for regular season games. The First Four is a completely different scenario. I think the complaints are about regular season games.

Gazoo 05-16-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris R (Post 507432)
They just installed a brand new natural grass system at Baujan a cpl years ago anyway.

What, exactly, is a natural grass "system"? Seed + water + dirt + sun? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 507517)
Tear offs are useless, on more than one occasion in C lot they would just wave a bunch of cars through when traffic back ups were the worse.

The IRS audits far less than 5% of tax returns, yet everyone is scared to death of being audited.

Still think it's useless unless you tear off every last ticket stub? I think not.

mikeymo85 05-16-2017 01:24 PM

i think they take cash at the shuttle lot.

shocka43 05-16-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 507534)
If you look closely at the thread it's not like UD really caught Richard(Dick) Cummings. The name, barcode, & account # were all faked as Adam Tschuor admitted in the thread, and he also said they only scan them after the fact. So do they tell the parking attendants to look for Dick Cummings on every pass so they can catch the culprit? That won't happen and even if they do Dick Cummings can just start changing the name and account # on the pass for every game.

I'm pretty sure Ben Dover, Mike Litoris, Dick Champion, Joe King, and their cousins will show at some games too.

The only way to actually catch the people making the fake passes is to scan every single pass upon entry just like they scan your ticket to go into the game. That would be an absolute nightmare.

Peter Fitzwell and his buddy Phil McCrevise were using fake passes all season.

rollo 05-16-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shocka43 (Post 507566)

Don't forget about Mike Hunt. :nuts:

CE80 05-16-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shocka43 (Post 507566)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 507567)
Don't forget about Mike Hunt. :nuts:

Sorry for deviating from the topic but do men ever grow up? Is it all men (very much including me) or only some? Seriously, I'll turn 59 this year and when I get together with my UD friends these types of names and such are said all the time, Every year at our fantasy football draft it is just as bad. Will it stop when I turn 60? 70? 80?

mikeymo85 05-16-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UD_Earl (Post 507548)
All of the talk of the "Elite's" is very tiring. I have taught my kids to never envy anyone. If some one has more than them, I want my kids to understand that generally they or someone before them worked hard for it. I teach them not to begrudge anyone for what they have, or look down upon anyone for what they do not have. Life is full of decisions.

For better or worse, the reality is that those "elite's" pay not all, but a lot of the "freight" through donations, ticket costs, and seat licenses. Without "them" - there would have not been a top 10 salary offer to Archie.

If you do not like your station in life, do something about it, but don't begrudge anyone...it is not very manly in my opinion.

you are barking up the wrong tree with me. I never said the elites didn't deserve their B lot spaces. our seats come with a B lot pass, I just don't get to use it. all I'm saying is if there are "many" spaces available in D lot, I will buy one.
I do not get my panties twisted easily, but there was no reason to question my manliness.

CT Flyer 05-16-2017 02:07 PM

There's a guy that lives near me in New England, by the name of Richard Hurtz from Holden, Mass., that went to a few games this year and used a fake pass

rollo 05-16-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 507568)
Sorry for deviating from the topic but do men ever grow up?

You mean we shouldn't think this is funny?

https://i.giphy.com/13N0LaRTECEvK.gif

rollo 05-16-2017 02:22 PM

ClaytonFlyerFan 05-16-2017 02:45 PM

Seriously guys, grow up and get back on topic.

By the way, I just farted! :D

Widget 05-16-2017 02:50 PM

My friend Lou Sassol thinks these are funny

CE80 05-16-2017 02:59 PM

I think Dandy Dan just smiled.

Ready Action 05-16-2017 03:41 PM

Just pull into the lot and whisper you are The Great Ray Harper. I guarantee you'll get to park anywhere you darn please.

C-time 05-16-2017 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ready Action (Post 507578)
Just pull into the lot and whisper you are The Great Ray Harper. I guarantee you'll get to park anywhere you darn please.

That won't work. Everybody knows Ray takes a helicopter to games and lands at Welcome Stadium.

UDGutter2 05-16-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 507580)
That won't work. Everybody knows Ray takes a helicopter to games and lands at Welcome Stadium.

And then takes the secret underground tunnel built just for him.

UDGutter2 05-16-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 (Post 507583)
And then takes the secret underground tunnel built just for him.

Just gave myself an idea, a secret undreground/river tunnel from O lot to the Arena.

longtimefan 05-16-2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 (Post 507584)
Just gave myself an idea, a secret underground/river tunnel from O lot to the Arena.

El Chapo has some guys who could build that for you.

BRob2Perryman3 05-16-2017 05:08 PM

DAMMIT. I had my Ray Harper joke in the chamber and had visions of everyone heartily chuckling at my joke and i was beaten to the punch.............

BRob2Perryman3 05-16-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymo85 (Post 507540)

Im with you here. Its not like "Elites" is a bad term. i think he took it as a deragatory term. And you certainly didnt come across as envious.

MikeF 05-16-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priceg75 (Post 507522)
Thanks for the info guys. Don't want to make this the "complain about parking in Lot O" thread, but I didn't know they were doing anything like that.

Seems labor intensive and not very efficient, but at least they are trying to do something.

The arriving, parking, and departing phases of attending an event are so key, but for whatever reason I think too many "venue operators" for lack of a better term fail to understand that. It's basically a visitor's - a customer's! - first and last impression of their outing.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 05-18-2017 07:08 PM

Beth Keyes, currently VP of Facilities and Campus Operations, will become the project manager for the Arena transformation.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...wZG2v2h9WyIgP/

Flyer2 05-18-2017 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeF (Post 507593)
The arriving, parking, and departing phases of attending an event are so key, but for whatever reason I think too many "venue operators" for lack of a better term fail to understand that. It's basically a visitor's - a customer's! - first and last impression of their outing.

So true... The Nutter Center is an example of the bad. One point is the higher ups "The Boards" are composed of people who don't buy regular tickets, park in lots, and slosh thru the snow.

Remember their opinion is more important because they stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!

UACFlyer 05-18-2017 08:42 PM

Parking structures

Parking is a problem everywhere...at most places more so than at UD. When I look at the acres of parking around the Arena I often wonder what the complaining is about.

UConn's on-campus facility seats 10,400 and is right in the middle of campus. That means fans are competing for parking spaces with university staff and students for available spots on game nights. For many years when we went to games we did not know where we would wind up parking.

Since then UConn has constructed two large parking garages which have helped enormously, i.e.., we always know where we are going to park...in our assigned garage directly across the street from the arena. The garages have six floors of parking with entrances/exits at the top and bottom. If you are on levels 1 or 2, or 5 or 6, you're in good shape. But, God help those that wind up on levels 3 or 4. If you're in the "middle" it can take 45 min, easy, to exit the garage. The solution is to leave the game plenty early...just like the Arena parking lots.

What really frosts my wife is that upon entry to our garage are about 20 spaces that are roped off and guarded....spaces that usually remain unused except for a few. Those spaces are for "Legend" donors...$50K+ annually. I explain to my wife that if a guy gives $50K or more he d@mn well better have a guaranteed space to park when he comes to a game. Still she btiches.

Parking is a fundamental problem. Fans arrive over a period of 30-45 minutes, or so. But everyone wants to leave at the same time, for the most part. That's tough to deal with even under the best circumstances.

Go Flyers!

ud69 06-07-2017 09:57 AM

First week's progress is impressive
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 07-31-2017 09:12 PM

UACFlyer 08-01-2017 12:23 PM

Off topic question...

Sorry to post this question here but I couldn't find the "construction: forum.

Does anyone know if the project to demolish McGinnis and build an apartment complex has begun? If so, what is the current status. Thank you.

rollo 09-13-2017 01:51 PM

Inside scoop good news: The new HD screen was delivered and should be installed soon if not already.

Inside scoop bad news: The project is behind schedule as UD attempts to cut costs...stay tuned.

ClaytonFlyerFan 09-13-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 514401)
Inside scoop good news: The new HD screen was delivered and should be installed soon if not already.

Inside scoop bad news: The project is behind schedule as UD attempts to cut costs...stay tuned.

So why do you install HD screens and new seats during phase I, when tons of concrete to be jack hammered up, walls torn out, etc......in the future phases? The pretty cosmetic things should come last after the dust has settled, not first.

Runnin' Rebel 09-13-2017 01:58 PM

What HD screen are you speaking of?
(thought they already installed the 4 new HD screens over center court)

C-time 09-13-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 514401)

It's not an inside scoop if it was on twitter and youtube on August 18th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl5WDyoXR4A

https://twitter.com/DaytonFlyers/sta...98666742648832

ClaytonFlyerFan 09-13-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 514413)
It's not an inside scoop if it was on twitter and youtube on August 18th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl5WDyoXR4A

https://twitter.com/DaytonFlyers/sta...98666742648832

Your forgetting how old Rollo is. If it is not in the DDN he does not see it.

rollo 09-13-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 514414)
Your forgetting how old Rollo is. If it is not in the DDN he does not see it.

http://screencrush.com/files/2016/02...-talk-gif1.gif

THirt 09-14-2017 06:12 PM

President Spina posted a few photos today... center scoreboard is hung and looks superb. Ribbon boards are new (and functional). Heard things are looking good in there - rave reviews for the new seats.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lifelong Flyer Fan 09-14-2017 06:17 PM

Viperstick 09-14-2017 06:53 PM

So are they leaving the video boards in the corners too?

THirt 09-14-2017 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viperstick (Post 514490)
So are they leaving the video boards in the corners too?

For now yes, but later on they will move them a bit (still in the corners) and angle them so you can see better from the upper Arena. Most folks should be able to see the center video boards, though I think some of the sight lines from up high won't be great to see the center boards.
Posted via Mobile Device

priceg75 09-15-2017 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 514402)
So why do you install HD screens and new seats during phase I, when tons of concrete to be jack hammered up, walls torn out, etc......in the future phases? The pretty cosmetic things should come last after the dust has settled, not first.

You could do that if you were renovating everything at once. But since they have taken the view of doing this over 3 offseasons, they can't afford to not put the place back together again after each season of work.

shocka43 09-17-2017 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priceg75 (Post 514510)
You could do that if you were renovating everything at once. But since they have taken the view of doing this over 3 offseasons, they can't afford to not put the place back together again after each season of work.

That...and the fact that if you are going to request a return on a graduated seat license increase, those with the most to give need to see some benefit out of the gate.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 09-20-2017 04:33 PM

Phase one of the three-year, $72 million renovation of UD Arena remains on schedule. UD Arena Director Scott DeBolt expects the Dayton Flyers will get a chance practice on their home court at least a week before their exhibition games Nov. 4, if not earlier.

“Hopefully, we’ll get them in the building at least to shoot around to get a feel for it a little bit,” DeBolt said Wednesday.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...MubKZ2LkaIChL/

Lifelong Flyer Fan 10-08-2017 09:21 AM

Interesting Archdeacon write up on Larry Connor, who is spearheading much of the fundraising for the transformation.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...u8yJvvPlnhR4I/

Lifelong Flyer Fan 10-23-2017 05:39 PM

NJFlyr71 10-23-2017 08:21 PM

It's been a while since passing by the display along I75 near the arena.
But based upon the comments on this board in other threads that display doesn't work about 99.7 % of the time. Here's hoping the new indoor vid board has got a much better "up-time" .

BTW is something going to be done about that I75 display board . Nothing spells small time better than an outdoor video display that has not worked in years with your name displayed near it! :violin:

C-time 10-23-2017 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 517152)

They spelled LOWD wrong!!!!!

shocka43 10-24-2017 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THirt (Post 514491)
For now yes, but later on they will move them a bit (still in the corners) and angle them so you can see better from the upper Arena. Most folks should be able to see the center video boards, though I think some of the sight lines from up high won't be great to see the center boards.
Posted via Mobile Device

With the center board hung the corner boards will stay the same for this season. Arena staff are going to survey (visually and by asking) fans during the season to see where their eyes are drawn during games and to what boards they look at. This will determine how they are positioned after season 1 of the renovations.

I was told that they may take opposing boards and flip one towards the upper arena and keep the opposite the way it is. I would think with the style of center scoreboard, stat displays will be the same as other places UD travels to with them on the center display...such as Barclays.

The center scoreboard is yuge as seen in the Instagram pictures above. The speakers for the new audio system are impressive as well. It will definitely sound like a modern arena and give people what they want in terms of audio.

The oddest part is seeing the lower arena having seats that are all one color. It plays on the eyes. I thought it looked bigger, as the seats are a darker blue. They look nice. There is a contrast from the dark blue seats and the refinished concrete. The concrete is lighter. May sound odd that the refinished concrete is noticed, but it changes the overall appearance of the lower arena.

I am excited to see the project come together.

N2663R 10-24-2017 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shocka43 (Post 517190)
The oddest part is seeing the lower arena having seats that are all one color. It plays on the eyes.

Do they look like red sweaters? ;)

shocka43 10-24-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2663R (Post 517199)
Do they look like red sweaters? ;)

Guess the red sweaters will contrast nicely with the blue seats...:)

CE80 10-24-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shocka43 (Post 517201)
Guess the red sweaters will contrast nicely with the blue seats...:)

Sounds like they missed the boat on this. The lower bowl seats should have been painted to look like red sweater vests. That way, when everyone heads out early to beat the traffic, the lower arena would still look full.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris R 10-24-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 (Post 517171)
It's been a while since passing by the display along I75 near the arena.
But based upon the comments on this board in other threads that display doesn't work about 99.7 % of the time. Here's hoping the new indoor vid board has got a much better "up-time" .

BTW is something going to be done about that I75 display board . Nothing spells small time better than an outdoor video display that has not worked in years with your name displayed near it! :violin:

Last time I talked to Neil about it the technology to even run the I75 board is antiquated and no longer supported (similar to the old game scores on the end zone boards inside the Arena). There were no specific funds to re-do it right away in the Arena reno, but were savings found during the process, it would be looked into.

Im sure Daktronics makes a solution for it. All it takes is someone with a large enough checkbook.

I agree about the acid-washed/painted concrete inside. Whatever they did or however they did it, it looks 100% better. The old concrete looked dark and dirty like a cell block on Alcatraz.

C-time 10-24-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris R (Post 517227)
I agree about the acid-washed/painted concrete inside. Whatever they did or however they did it, it looks 100% better. The old concrete looked dark and dirty like a cell block on Alcatraz.

I haven't been in there yet but maybe they painted/coated it with a product similar to those garage floor coatings or even a line-x type product. Whatever it is looks 100% better.

Also I'm just waiting for the first person to complain on here that the speakers are too lowd.

runnerup 10-24-2017 05:05 PM

Can't wait to hear the new sound. Under the overhang in lower bowl corner the PA didn't exist for my liking.

shocka43 10-24-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 517229)
I haven't been in there yet but maybe they painted/coated it with a product similar to those garage floor coatings or even a line-x type product. Whatever it is looks 100% better.

Nothing fancy. They ground off all the old seat hardware. Filled the holes/cracks/etc, ground it all down and resurfaced it all and appeared to simply seal it. I was in there before the scoreboard was hung and it was a dust bowl. Gotta think about all the years of dirt, grime, etc that gets worn into concrete. A resurface and a simple sealer will make concrete look brand new.

rollo 10-31-2017 07:13 AM

*and they'll be related to beer...

I was in the arena last night and it looks awesome. All the seats are installed and the scoreboard is nothing short of Royal.

While I was there the staff was rehearsing the team entrance for pregame layup lines, etc... The cheerleaders were just in shorts and t-shirts but the funny part was the 'team' consisted of a bunch of 30-50 year old men who ran out of the locker room behind the cheerleaders just like the team and went straight to layup lines...really, really ugly layup lines. All the while the music was cranked up and highlight videos were playing as if it were gameday.

I can't imagine anyone complaining about the upgrades, but I'm sure we'll hear of a couple* by this time next week.

Radar 10-31-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris R (Post 517227)
Last time I talked to Neil about it the technology to even run the I75 board is antiquated and no longer supported (similar to the old game scores on the end zone boards inside the Arena). There were no specific funds to re-do it right away in the Arena reno, but were savings found during the process, it would be looked into.

Im sure Daktronics makes a solution for it. All it takes is someone with a large enough checkbook.

I find it hard to believe that, with an Arena renovation that will end up north of $100M this can't also be addressed.

marco red eagle 10-31-2017 09:47 AM

On one of those UD sponsored "open houses" at the arena a long time ago ... but RIGHT after the $72 million dollar renovation number was repeated in the paper ... I answered the cost question to another fellow visitor ... But I was corrected by the UD guide (younger UD Sports employee) ... he said the "Renovation is $75 Million". I just kept quiet but I wanted to say ... "Boy it went up $3M overnight".

Widget 10-31-2017 10:17 AM

I don't have tickets to the game Saturday, but would someone please post pictures? I'm dying to see the upgrades.

C-time 10-31-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 517807)
I was in the arena last night and it looks awesome. All the seats are installed and the scoreboard is nothing short of Royal.

While I was there the staff was rehearsing the team entrance for pregame layup lines, etc... The cheerleaders were just in shorts and t-shirts but the funny part was the 'team' consisted of a bunch of 30-50 year old men who ran out of the locker room behind the cheerleaders just like the team and went straight to layup lines...really, really ugly layup lines. All the while the music was cranked up and highlight videos were playing as if it were gameday.

I can't imagine anyone complaining about the upgrades, but I'm sure we'll hear of a couple* by this time next week.

I predict the first complaint will be some people saying the sound system volume is too high. Hopefully they just offer those people some free earplugs instead of turning down the volume.

Flyer Dave 10-31-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 517836)
I predict the first complaint will be some people saying the sound system volume is too high. Hopefully they just offer those people some free earplugs instead of turning down the volume.

I guess I'm one of those people. If you happen to sit in the upper arena, as soon as the pre-game sponsor commercials come on, the volume is doubled, then goes back down for the U. D. announcements and line-up. I hope they turn down the commercials.

Avid Flyer 10-31-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 517807)

Let me be the first to complain about the upgrades.....I won't be able to get there to experience it....wąaaah:frown: