UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kind of off topic - drum banging? (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32827)

Flyer Dave 02-02-2019 05:40 PM

Kind of off topic - drum banging?

St. Joseph game is on right now and one of the students is banging on a bass drum throughout play. Didn't think this was allowed. Any idea on this?

Lifelong Flyer Fan 02-02-2019 05:45 PM

The band can't make any noise with their instruments if the ball is in play. Not sure about other fans.

The Fly 02-02-2019 05:50 PM

Paragraph from NCAA rules regarding cheerleader noise when not in a dead ball situation:

“May cheerleaders bang their megaphones on the floor as part of a cheer activity while the ball is live or during any dead ball? Ruling: No. The megaphones are considered artificial noisemakers when used in this fashion. When used in this manner, their use is permitted only during timeouts and intermissions. When used as intended, they may be used at any time during the game.”

Assuming bands are “artificial noisemakers,” the bass drum banging is off limits. Nonetheless, the refs and band director are letting it continue in that game, so maybe they know more than me. :-)

T-Bone 84 02-02-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 573009)
The band can't make any noise with their instruments if the ball is in play. Not sure about other fans.

True dat. If the kid is a band member, that’s a technical foul. If the kid is not a band member, then the question becomes, how in the #@!! did someone get into the game lugging a Bass Drum?
Posted via Mobile Device

Flyer2 02-02-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 (Post 573014)
True dat. If the kid is a band member, that’s a technical foul. If the kid is not a band member, then the question becomes, how in the #@!! did someone get into the game lugging a Bass Drum?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey the kid was gutsy and who would stop a kid lugging in a base drum as he must be a band member.

flyerfanatic86 02-04-2019 09:47 AM

I've been to Hawk Hill for one of our games (probably 10 years ago at this point) and they were doing it then. I'm not sure how they get away with it every game, but nobody says anything.

T-Bone 84 02-04-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 (Post 573234)
I've been to Hawk Hill for one of our games (probably 10 years ago at this point) and they were doing it then. I'm not sure how they get away with it every game, but nobody says anything.

My guess as to "how they get away with it" may have something to do with where the A-10 Conference offices are located. Think about it, won't you?

NJFlyr71 02-05-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 (Post 573286)
My guess as to "how they get away with it" may have something to do with where the A-10 Conference offices are located. Think about it, won't you?

If its an NCAA ruling then the conference location or status be dam..ed.

However if you are certain schools such as NCSt, Duke and a few blue bloods, please go right ahead and continue on with whatever you were doing ...

Unless someone complains it will continue ..... Oh! BTW last time I looked St Joes wasn't one of those blue blood schools ....

San Diego Flyer 02-06-2019 09:56 AM

Then there is that wacky hawk mascot flapping it's wings tirelessly for two hours straight. I so wanted Rudy to bear hug it and stuff it in a trash can.