UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   2018 NCAA Tournament thread (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32020)

OSU Flyer 03-18-2018 08:30 PM

If you don't believe in the importance of getting transfers look at Nevada. All 5 starters are transfers

cj 03-18-2018 08:43 PM

http://dailym.ai/2GHj5lK

If posted earlier my apologies

Lifelong Flyer Fan 03-18-2018 09:05 PM

I posted the NYT article on Sr. Jean written before the tourney somewhere in this thread. It has a picture of her name on the backs of her custom sneakers.

jack72 03-18-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 544410)
If you don't believe in the importance of getting transfers look at Nevada. All 5 starters are transfers

And they essentially play 6 players, and come back after playing a game two days ago.

As they say, excuses are for losers.

cj 03-18-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 544413)
I posted the NYT article on Sr. Jean written before the tourney somewhere in this thread. It has a picture of her name on the backs of her custom sneakers.

I knew one was referenced earlier but I was too lazy to look it up.

T-Bone 84 03-18-2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 544392)
Many teams are not used to that zone, especially its length. Conference foes see it more and deal with it better. MSU also could not hit the broad side of a barn today. Think about it, they hit that 3 pt banker at the first half buzzer and another banker in the 2nd half. Miss those and they are shooting even worse for that game.

Sort of like BG’s old teams that were all athleticism and no offensive game plan. P5 schools thought they could run us out of the gym, but that’s what BG’s teams did best (whether BG knew it or not). The A-10 teams, however, saw us annually (some of them twice), so they knew how to beat us.
Posted via Mobile Device

frisco flyer 03-18-2018 11:08 PM

X is about to loose. What a shame
Down 3 with 7 tick and FSU has the ball

Beatty Town Coach 03-18-2018 11:13 PM

Queen is out

See ya Natti/X fans...bye...hilarious!

T-Bone 84 03-18-2018 11:14 PM

It’s official. 2 of the 1-Seeds are out!
Posted via Mobile Device

TommyGola 03-18-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach (Post 544432)
See ya Natti/X fans...bye...hilarious!

Couldn't happen to a nicer coach and group of lovely fans.

udx2 03-18-2018 11:15 PM

Cincy had a bad day in Nashville with the Bearcats and X both losing.

cj 03-18-2018 11:15 PM

Just need Puke and Kuntucky to lose.

NCkevi 03-18-2018 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by udx2 (Post 544435)

But I had a great day

Avid Flyer 03-18-2018 11:19 PM

Yes Virginia there is a God... ;)

T-Bone 84 03-18-2018 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyGola (Post 544434)
Couldn't happen to a nicer coach and group of lovely fans.

And Grayson Allen’s evil twin (Macura) had to watch the end of the game from the bench because he’d fouled out. Poor baby! 😆
Posted via Mobile Device

cj 03-18-2018 11:34 PM

Javon Carter = Scoochie

Jay O'Leary 03-18-2018 11:52 PM

I saw all of the games in Pgh. Villanova and Duke were much better than any of the other teams there. They could each have won by 50 if they wanted to. Duke is huge! They had 3 guys playing at once who were all 6'10"+. These were not space eaters, but athletes. Villanova is not as big but they shoot lights out and they defend.
The Duke fans are eletists and love Coach K. It is easy to hate Duke... Coach K is a real donkey's rear end; on a par with Coach Hurley. I have officially added Duke to my most hated teams list (_avier, VCU, and Notre Dame).

Avid Flyer 03-19-2018 12:18 AM

Anyone who read about coach k early days they would put him in the dumpster with a few others.

longtimefan67 03-19-2018 05:53 AM

Happy Monday everyone- Nashville is my new favorite city
Posted via Mobile Device

priceg75 03-19-2018 07:25 AM

I DVRd all the first weekend games. May have to go back and watch the Nashville Sunday games again.

CE80 03-19-2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by udx2 (Post 544435)

That's okay, baseball season is about to start ....oh wait

NJFlyr71 03-19-2018 10:57 AM

With all the up-sets this past weekend an article on ESPN discusses the need to re-seed the teams remaining. In the article they present why or how each team remaining has played .... It seems to indicate there is no ONE way to advance (we most likely agree with) for instance:

Quote:

Folks like to say "defense wins championships," but that notion was challenged in the opening weekend of this year's NCAA tournament. Five of the NCAA tournament teams ranked within KenPom.com's top-12 slots in adjusted defensive efficiency lost.

Nevada, a powerhouse offensive squad that has led the nation in turnover rate and made nearly 40 percent of its 3-pointers this season, beat two of them (Texas and Cincinnati) to advance to the Sweet 16. Cincinnati, No. 2 all season in defensive efficiency behind Virginia, had amassed a 22-point lead over Nevada with 10:50 to play in the game, but Eric Musselman's squad launched a 32-8 run to complete the most thrilling comeback of the NCAA tournament thus far.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...eding-sweet-16

Some have height, some have hi-offensive approach, some have a defensive skill, some just seem to be doing the right thing at the right time (maybe multiple times).

It gives me hope that next years squad will have ironed out their unfavorable s, improve their team chemistry and settle in on those skills that match their ability.

At least that is what I'm hoping!

BTW I really liked Arizona, MSU, rat_avior going down. :beermug:

Cincy take or leave it. I don't hate on them so much.

cj 03-19-2018 11:26 AM

Do NOT reseed.

jack72 03-19-2018 11:31 AM

Great, ESPN all over it as usual. So have a committee, who does such a good job initially, re-seed the teams, so there can be more griping. This can result in more subjective criteria and possible football school favoritism. I guess they are scared that a Nevada and Gonzaga now could be in the Final 4.

superfan99 03-19-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 544505)
Great, ESPN all over it as usual. So have a committee, who does such a good job initially, re-seed the teams, so there can be more griping. This can result in more subjective criteria and possible football school favoritism. I guess they are scared that a Nevada and Gonzaga now could be in the Final 4.

Misleading article title.

This is just an article of ESPN ranking the remaining 16 teams based on how well they have played so far. Nothing that I see in the article is calling for any kind of formal "re-seeding" or changing the matchups. It is just a nice summary of how the teams have played and ranking them from best to worst.

UD62 03-19-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superfan99 (Post 544510)
Misleading article title.

This is just an article of ESPN ranking the remaining 16 teams based on how well they have played so far. Nothing that I see in the article is calling for any kind of formal "re-seeding" or changing the matchups. It is just a nice summary of how the teams have played and ranking them from best to worst.

Agree 71 jumped to a conclusion that wasn't there.

Bill202 03-19-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 (Post 544426)
Sort of like BG’s old teams that were all athleticism and no offensive game plan. P5 schools thought they could run us out of the gym, but that’s what BG’s teams did best (whether BG knew it or not). The A-10 teams, however, saw us annually (some of them twice), so they knew how to beat us.
Posted via Mobile Device

This was most evident in the NIT final where NC covered LWarren past the foul line and opened up the middle for us. No A10 coach had the Jet's outside shot covered. Very poor game plan by the "great" coach.

CE80 03-19-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill202 (Post 544522)
This was most evident in the NIT final where NC covered LWarren past the foul line and opened up the middle for us. No A10 coach had the Jet's outside shot covered. Very poor game plan by the "great" coach.

Well - no disrespect to Dayton, but our season goal was not to win the NIT and therefore I thought we could walk in to MSG and they would hand us the championship trophy because, after all we are North Carolina and I am 'Ol Roy.

Marysville Flyer 03-19-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 544529)
Well - no disrespect to Dayton, but our season goal was not to win the NIT and therefore I thought we could walk in to MSG and they would hand us the championship trophy because, after all we are North Carolina and I am 'Ol Roy.

Over confidence? They had recently beaten us a few years earlier at their place by like 100 points (only 30 but being there it felt like 100). Say what you want about BG but that was simply brilliant strategy to lose by 30 to insure an NIT crown 3 years later.
Posted via Mobile Device

CT Flyer 03-19-2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 544529)

Dadgummit!

CE80 03-19-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer (Post 544536)
Over confidence? They had recently beaten us a few years earlier at their place by like 100 points (only 30 but being there it felt like 100). Say what you want about BG but that was simply brilliant strategy to lose by 30 to insure an NIT crown 3 years later.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ha Ha

Maybe we are the fools. He was halfway through his plan to get us to the Final Four.

Smitty10 03-19-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill202 (Post 544522)

Well, I had no idea that's what NC would do but after watching them play against Rhode Island the previous game, I told two NC alumni that I worked with that NC had no chance in hell of beating the Flyers. If I recall, they had no business beating the Rams. Seriously, those two teams looked like NIT teams playing while the Flyers were playing like a well oiled machine at the time. And the main reason was that CJ was playing like NCAA tournament star.

Also, didn't the A10 teams incorporate a lot of zone defense against us back then? I think the power schools always figured that the "lesser" conferences game plan against them, not the other way around.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 03-22-2018 09:09 PM

Am I the only one watching and cheering on the Ramblers? Another close game. I try not to care who wins but I can't help getting sucked in. 1.4 left in a 1 point game.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 03-22-2018 09:12 PM

On to the Elite Eight!

bigudfan 03-22-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 545346)
Am I the only one watching and cheering on the Ramblers? Another close game. I try not to care who wins but I can't help getting sucked in. 1.4 left in a 1 point game.

Reminds me of the 2014 Flyers run!

CE80 03-22-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

I’ve been watching. Great game.

Michigan blowing out T A&M
Posted via Mobile Device

udx2 03-22-2018 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigudfan (Post 545349)
Reminds me of the 2014 Flyers run!

This is what I love about March Madness.

CT Flyer 03-22-2018 09:46 PM

Did anyone else questions a few of the calls or administration of calls in the Loyola game? One foul on Nevada that should have been a shooting foul called on the floor. I slowed it down and watched again and the refs arm doesn't even go up until after the ball left the players hand. On another foul against Loyola it was called a shooting foul when the Nevada player clearly passed the ball. And adjusting the clock from 1.0 to 1.4 after Loyola already had a chance to inbound the ball, but called timeout instead. Now I understand that no time came off the clock but why didn't they check the clock before they checked it ready for play the first time?

And they missed a travel at the end of the game when the two players bumped knees.

lhsgolf19 03-22-2018 09:48 PM

Go Blue! Too Easy!

TommyGola 03-22-2018 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 545351)
I’ve been watching. Great game.

Michigan blowing out T A&M
Posted via Mobile Device

I love the way the Ramblers make the extra pass. They remind me of the 2014 Flyers and how they frustrated teams with their passing. They are very well-coached.

Flyer69ers 03-22-2018 11:29 PM

Quote:

You were not the only one. We actually have several friends who picked them to go this far !

Lots of high-fiving around here. Basketball gods. (it helps to be a believer)

priceg75 03-23-2018 12:17 AM

Kansas State or Loyola is going to the Final 4.

OSU Flyer 03-23-2018 12:19 AM

Not a McDonald's AA on K-State and down their best player and they pull it off

ud2 03-23-2018 01:58 AM

In the past, I do not recall the Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Sunday schedule for a team changing until the Final 4.

Kentucky, Michigan, Gonzaga, and Loyola all got 1 extra day of rest.

Kansas State, TAMU, FSU, and Nevada all got 1 less day of rest.

Seemed very unfair.

OSU Flyer 03-23-2018 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 545380)
In the past, I do not recall the Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Sunday schedule for a team changing until the Final 4.

Seemed very unfair.

I think it's because of the pod system

ud2 03-23-2018 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 545381)
I think it's because of the pod system

Even so, I do not see why the schedule had to change.

Keep all the Thursday pods in the same regions, same for Fridays.

N2663R 03-23-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 545380)

Seemed very unfair.

Don't worry, the FBI will fix that for next year.

jack72 03-23-2018 10:41 AM

Loyola is an amazing story, so I won't rehash it.

Kansas St going against the big ugly blue was story #2. Undersized, undermanned and disrespected they pull it off at crunch time. Their best player did not play, then so much foul trouble, they play the last few minutes, when they won the game, with five guards. To see the experience and athleticism and confidence of those much smaller, unheralded kids pull it off, was magic. When they spread the court, and that kid made the winning layup between and over very tall McDonald All-Americans was an all-time NCAA moment.

Loyola, K State and Nevada showed you do not have to be huge if you are athletic and quick and can shoot and play D.

sopaw10 03-23-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 545435)
Loyola is an amazing story, so I won't rehash it.

Loyola, K State and Nevada showed you do not have to be huge if you are athletic and quick and can shoot and play D.

And you don’t turn the ball over!

Flyer68 03-23-2018 01:52 PM

I did not see the game but did the Kentucky players and Calipari really walk off the court after the loss without shaking hands with the winner?

SLUFLYER 03-23-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 545382)
Even so, I do not see why the schedule had to change.

Keep all the Thursday pods in the same regions, same for Fridays.

It's never been consistent and I don't anticipate it ever will. If it were to align that way somehow, it would just be pure coincidence.

Once you get past 3 days rest, it's really irrelevant, which is why you don't hear much chirping about it, expect for Calipari who was just looking for anything to chirp about.

SLUFLYER 03-23-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer68 (Post 545480)
I did not see the game but did the Kentucky players and Calipari really walk off the court after the loss without shaking hands with the winner?

No. They all lined up to shake hands, but by the time they got thru the coaches, the KState players were still celebrating on the court.

I am not a Calipari or UK apologist, but that was whole to do about nothing. Just garbage, social media journalism.

Swampy Meadows 03-23-2018 08:22 PM

Lotsa familiar names in the Villanova/WVU game: Konate and Ahmed for WV and Brunson for VU all recruited by Archie

Monster Man 03-23-2018 08:28 PM

Yeah, and none of them came to UD. We ended up with Jordan Pierce, Svoboda, and Crosby. Great job, Archie! What’s your point?
Posted via Mobile Device

NCkevi 03-23-2018 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster Man (Post 545549)
Yeah, and none of them came to UD. We ended up with Jordan Pierce, Svoboda, and Crosby. Great job, Archie! What’s your point?
Posted via Mobile Device

It seems kind of obvious - there are several players in this game that were recruited by UD.

Monster Man 03-23-2018 09:13 PM

Obviously, they chose to go elsewhere. Who cares if we recruited any of them?
Posted via Mobile Device

Swampy Meadows 03-23-2018 09:40 PM

More importantly, who cares if you don't care.

jack72 03-23-2018 09:40 PM

For those of us who think these young guys cannot play a whole game, Graham, the stud guard on Kansas, missed only 11 minutes out of the last 700+ minutes played by his team. For the 36 games this year, his average rest time per game was 2.4 minutes.

Monster Man 03-23-2018 09:44 PM

Swampy, your basketball posts are almost as stupid as your idiotic political posts.
Posted via Mobile Device

OSU Flyer 03-23-2018 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 545560)
For those of us who think these young guys cannot play a whole game, Graham, the stud guard on Kansas, missed only 11 minutes out of the last 700+ minutes played by his team. For the 36 games this year, his average rest time per game was 2.4 minutes.

Some guys can do it, some can't. They're kids not robots

CT Flyer 03-23-2018 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 545560)

The more you watch this tourney the more you realize how many coaches lean on players to play major minutes. Some on this board make it seem like AG was this outlier but its a lot more common than you think.

jack72 03-23-2018 11:38 PM

That Slovak kid on Cuse is impressive for a frosh. At 6'9" and 180 he sort of disproves the you need weight and muscle theory. When you have great floor intelligence and a long reach he makes it happen.

OSU Flyer 03-23-2018 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 545572)
That Slovak kid on Cuse is impressive for a frosh. At 6'9" and 180 he sort of disproves the you need weight and muscle theory. When you have great floor intelligence and a long reach he makes it happen.

He's hit some nice shots in the middle of the zone

frisco flyer 03-24-2018 12:19 AM

All my favorite coaches are winning games tonight. NOT.

T-Bone 84 03-24-2018 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT Flyer (Post 545569)
The more you watch this tourney the more you realize how many coaches lean on players to play major minutes. Some on this board make it seem like AG was this outlier but its a lot more common than you think.

The thing is, during the BG era, there was some brainwashing going on that no player should play more than 30-32 minutes a game (and his substitution patterns were consistent with that belief). Then, AM had the year of The Magnificent Seven, and that pretty much threw substitution patterns out the window. And finally, last year, AG had the option of playing more guys, but because of issues with in-game performance, bad practice habits, attitude, injury, immaturity, etc., he chose to use only about 2/3 of the available roster.

In many ways, it’s sort of a throwback to the Donoher era, when the best players (Paxson, Chapman, Johnny D, Smitty & Sly, etc.) would play 35+ minutes per game. Your best player at 80% is better than his sub at 100%, so you play your best players as much as you can.
Posted via Mobile Device

BRob2Perryman3 03-24-2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 544077)
Chip Jones is getting dismissed is my first memory of Flyer basketball I can remember

Wow. Me too. Didn't he blow up against Arizona that year IIRC. My second earliest memory is Derrick Dukes throwing an alley-oop to Darnell Hahn for a monster jam

SeasonTicketFan 03-24-2018 08:14 AM

I would not use this year’s team as a great example of playing a lot of minutes with a short bench. The team often played poorly during the last four minutes of each half. The top scorers seemed too fade at the end of the season.

When a player does play a lot of minutes, they often sacrifice quite a bit on defense.

Yes, you do find some teams with amazing players who can at a high level for 40 minutes, but into today’s physical game, a rotation of players gives an advantage.

THirt 03-24-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan (Post 545586)
I would not use this year’s team as a great example of playing a lot of minutes with a short bench. The team often played poorly during the last four minutes of each half. The top scorers seemed too fade at the end of the season.

When a player does play a lot of minutes, they often sacrifice quite a bit on defense.

Yes, you do find some teams with amazing players who can at a high level for 40 minutes, but into today’s physical game, a rotation of players gives an advantage.

This is a very good point... especially when you consider our point guard was a young freshman who nearly took a prep year instead of coming here, our two guard was a freshman, our power forward was a sophomore who played 54 minutes the year before, and our center was an undersized guy who had played 11 games in the last two years and had ankle, knee and shoulder surgeries in that time.

Not counting senior Darrell Davis, 4 or our 5 starters played a total of 214 minutes of college basketball in the two years prior to this one. That’s crazy.

That’s a lot different than say, a John Chaney Temple team, or a typical Martelli St. Joe team.
Posted via Mobile Device

jack72 03-24-2018 10:48 AM

I felt sorry for the Purdue kids. You work your tail off to get this far, and then you have to play without your big stud, who helped get you this far. His backup was a nice defender, but had no offense or rebounding.

Canonball 03-24-2018 01:25 PM

Texas Tech plays a lot like UD's Elite Eight run. Solid team defense, protect the glass, unselfish with the ball and everybody fits a roll. Maybe Purdue beats them with their big guy, I don't know, but I do like how Tech plays. Gritty and confident.

CvilleFlyer 03-24-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 545608)
I felt sorry for the Purdue kids. You work your tail off to get this far, and then you have to play without your big stud, who helped get you this far. His backup was a nice defender, but had no offense or rebounding.

I felt the same way Chris Wright's freshman year when he got hurt and it jeopardized our NCAA chances!

Chris broke his ankle midway through the season. UD was 13-1 before his injury and 9-9 after. The Flyers played in the NIT and Wright returned in time to play in the second and third games. He averaged double figures in the win over Illinois St. and the loss to Ohio St.

OSU Flyer 03-24-2018 03:26 PM

If you're playing an up tempo system like Coach Grant says he wants to run you're not going to play your starters nearly 40 minutes.

Because some guys in some systems play 40 minutes doesn't mean that everyone can. They're 18-22 year old kids, not robots.

Additionally when AG gets this thing up and running presumably freshman won't be thrown into the fire like this year. I think the dream would be to get them some action off the bench before handing them the keys

longtimefan 03-24-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer (Post 545631)
I felt the same way Chris Wright's freshman year when he got hurt and it jeopardized our NCAA chances!

Chris broke his ankle midway through the season. UD was 13-1 before his injury and...

... ranked 14th in the country (and 4th in RPI).

OSU Flyer 03-24-2018 05:03 PM

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...march-madness/

538 ranks coaches by their performance in March Madness vs seed

They have Boeheim 1st

BRob2Perryman3 03-24-2018 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer (Post 545631)

Chris broke his ankle midway through the season. UD was 13-1 before his injury and 9-9 after. The Flyers played in the NIT and Wright returned in time to play in the second and third games. He averaged double figures in the win over Illinois St. and the loss to Ohio St.

I do my best to forget that year. They were onto something SPECIAL that year. Brian Roberts was UNSTOPPABLE and CW was awesome as the Robin to BRob's Batman.

Oh what could have been that year.....

jack72 03-24-2018 08:13 PM

That is the second time in the Loyola game a player has passed the ball to himself with no whistle. That is a travel. Did they change the rule?

frisco flyer 03-24-2018 08:21 PM

The Ramblers advance!
What a story!

CE80 03-24-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frisco flyer (Post 545653)
The Ramblers advance!
What a story!

and if Wichita State did not switch conferences, they may not have even been in the NCAAT.

frisco flyer 03-24-2018 08:24 PM

Loyola’s coach is a class act. He can coach too. If I was URI, I would go after him.

ud69 03-24-2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 545651)
That is the second time in the Loyola game a player has passed the ball to himself with no whistle. That is a travel. Did they change the rule?

From the rule book - If it was a "try" (as in a shot), did not hit anything (i.e air ball), and the shooter then caught the ball - it is not traveling. The key is that it must be a "try".