UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Welcome to the Family Obadiah Toppin! (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30949)

lhsgolf19 05-16-2017 07:50 PM

Welcome to the Family Obi Toppin!

Corey Evans‏ @coreyevans_10 4m4 minutes ago
More
2017 @MtZionPrep forward Obadiah Toppin has committed to Dayton, per source

Fantastic Late Get by AG!

6'9" athletic big that can shoot it!

lhsgolf19 05-16-2017 07:51 PM

obadiah‏ @otoppin1 1m1 minute ago
More
It's official I am extending my basketball career at the university of Dayton! I want to thank all my coaches n my family on my journey!

https://twitter.com/otoppin1/status/864628965343932420

longtimefan 05-16-2017 07:52 PM

Too bad Grant won't get off his rear and do some recruiting!

C-time 05-16-2017 07:55 PM

**** it lhsgolf19!!!!

I go for a run and get scooped by you again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also the Rhody fans can't like this. I'm headed to Keaney Blue to watch a meltdown hopefully.

lhsgolf19 05-16-2017 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 507599)
**** it lhsgolf19!!!!

I go for a run and get scooped by you again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also the Rhody fans can't like this. I'm headed to Keaney Blue to watch a meltdown hopefully.

haha my bad

But with the JuCo commit they just got in the last week, they were at this point out of scholarships.

SeasonTicketFan 05-16-2017 08:03 PM

Suddenly UD morphs from the undersized teams of Archie to having some serious height in the front line.

Archie wanted more height, but a series of events took his tallest players off the court the last three years.
Posted via Mobile Device

San Diego Flyer 05-16-2017 08:07 PM

This is the player I wanted all along. Ironically I think Crosby's return made Oba possible. Adding a veteran pg allowed Anthony to chase some length.

C-time 05-16-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 507600)
haha my bad

But with the JuCo commit they just got in the last week, they were at this point out of scholarships.

I'm just giving you crap. lol. Please continue posting all the scoops.

I hadn't seen that they got a JuCo commit instead. I simply don't follow recruiting as closely as some people.

Edit: Other good thing about this is that it gives UD 11 healthy/in shape scholarship players(at this point) to start the season. At this point I doubt Sam will be in shape to start the year and I don't see Mikesell playing next year after two hip surgeries.

Flyer69ers 05-16-2017 08:16 PM

Flyers True Team class of 2021 starting to have the best names ever . . .

ClaytonFlyerFan 05-16-2017 08:31 PM

Thanks lhsgolf19 for all your recruiting updates throughout the year and breaking news from time to time.

Golf clap for C-Time for his second place finish again! :D

lhsgolf19 05-16-2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 507606)
Thanks lhsgolf19 for all your recruiting updates throughout the year and breaking news from time to time.

Golf clap for C-Time for his second place finish again! :D

haha my pleasure... being on twitter can't be a good thing sometimes lol

OSU Flyer 05-16-2017 08:50 PM

Had an offer from Illinois and Mississippi State too

OSU Flyer 05-16-2017 08:56 PM

Sitdowndigger 05-16-2017 08:59 PM

DallasFlyer 05-16-2017 09:01 PM

So when Obadiah scores, 13K in the stands launching into their O-faces, right? It's gonna get mighty LOWD.

The Fly 05-16-2017 10:12 PM

Hmmmm, wonder where our pal UDScott went? Seems to me AG is off and running. That said, I don't begrudge even Scotty his opinion and impatience. I just find that stuff usually amounts to wasted energy. Grant hasn't put a team on the floor yet, and he'll rightly be judged on those results. In the meantime, I'm very happy he got us back in the PG business and scored a potential gem in Toppins.

San Diego Flyer 05-16-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitdowndigger (Post 507613)

Young man seems like he has a really awesome reach. Loooong arms.

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 05-16-2017 11:08 PM

Welcome to the Flyer Family Obadiah!

I don't know too much about this guy and can't seem to find a lot. Does not seem to be rated very high, but AG and team must have high hopes using the last scholarship. Can't have too many 6'9 forwards who can shoot, I guess. Is he projected as a PF or C on this team? What do you think?
PF behind Williams/Kostas?
Posted via Mobile Device

T-Bone 84 05-16-2017 11:26 PM

Welcome to the world of the Flyer Faithful, Obadiah! Glad to have you onboard!
Posted via Mobile Device

TommyGola 05-16-2017 11:26 PM

If you watch the videos you will notice that he handles the ball very well; he has a nice quick release on his jump shot; and something that stood out to me is his quick hands defensively. Given these skill sets, I would see him as a 3 or a 4. I suspect he could play the 5 spot, and if he did he could present some real match-up problems for the defensive team.

ud2 05-16-2017 11:53 PM

A short blurb...

http://georgiabasketballblog.com/pos...-maryland-uga/:

Obadiah Toppin: He is attending Mt. Zion Prep in Baltimore, Maryland. He is originally from Ossining, New York, which is in Westchester County. Toppin was a Shooting Guard and then became a Small Forward. He’s now projected as a Combo Forward. His height is said to be 6’9″ by Mt. Zion Prep on social media, but according to the latest roster released by the school, he’s 6’8″. Toppin handles the ball like a “wing” and can shoot from long range. In his last year at Ossining High School, he was a 37% three point shooter. He has offers from Maryland – Eastern Shore, Quinnipiac, Jacksonville State and Siena. Virginia Tech has expressed interest in him as well.

lhsgolf19 05-16-2017 11:53 PM

He goes by Obi so I changed the title lol

NorthwestFlyer 05-17-2017 12:19 AM

Welcome to the Flyer Family Obi!

Smitty10 05-17-2017 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 507627)

Good, let's keep it that way because posting about the way OT took over in OT would get to confusing.

Rick Scaia 05-17-2017 01:24 AM

OK, I was already super happy with Coach Grant getting a guy with this potential this late in the game (especially considering how Mikesell's injury could affect minutes)....

But he goes by "Obi?" Yeah, that's pretty awesome. I just hope he's ready for all the puns.

Word is, he's got advanced perimeter skills for 6'9", including quick hands on defense, so, upon every swat or swipe he gets against smaller/less-handle SF: "This is not the strong take you are looking for." [There shall be no major celebration, like Motumbo's one-finger "no-no".... but a sly two-finger slow swipe would be appropriate.]

Or, given the other A10 school that we beat out for his services, upon hitting a game winning 3-pointer at URI: "I sensed a great disturbance, as if thousands of voices suddenly cried out, and were suddenly silenced."

And, of course, upon the inevitable resumption of the UD/Eggsavier rivalry: "Cintas Center. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Rick

Flyer2 05-17-2017 04:29 AM

Looks like a good get...long arms, big hands, and ball skills. He played some shooting guard early on. Good shooter and rebounder along with shot blocking. I would like to find out why he had not committed earlier.

MikeF 05-17-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 507627)

That's perfect for headline writes to work "Obi Won" into a headline after he makes a game-winning shot.

T-Bone 84 05-17-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeF (Post 507636)
That's perfect for headline writes to work "Obi Won" into a headline after he makes a game-winning shot.

Does this mean his nickname will be "Ben"?
Posted via Mobile Device

BRob2Perryman3 05-17-2017 07:47 AM

Great basketball play he must!

T-Bone 84 05-17-2017 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 507641)
Great basketball play he must!

Win, he shall! :D
Posted via Mobile Device

DallasFlyer 05-17-2017 08:19 AM

With X and O, we can pretty much always have kisses or hugs on the court. XOXO substitution pattern will easily be the most lovable Dayton has ever had.

moville 05-17-2017 08:35 AM

Maybe the first ever recruit from Westchester County, NY. You know the kid's tough. He grew up a few blocks from Sing Sing.

SC_Flyer 05-17-2017 09:16 AM

Baby D needs to give up his #1 jersey. Then we would have Obi 1 and the force would be on our side.

FLYER5 05-17-2017 09:17 AM

Nice! Welcome to the Flyers, Obi! Love his defense. Think he'll make a big difference on that end..

steverino015 05-17-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC_Flyer (Post 507655)
Baby D needs to give up his #1 jersey. Then we would have Obi 1 and the force would be on our side.

Yes! that is an amazing idea, right there!

steverino015 05-17-2017 09:59 AM

and the first time the team goes to an Italian restaurant, when it is his turn to order he could just say: "Obi want cannoli"..... heh heh....)

MNFats 05-17-2017 10:10 AM

Interesting that he also played football. Didn't put up much on the stat sheet, but shows that he isn't just a big body. He played WR and DB at 6'5 (has grown since then) in 2015.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/obad...htm#year=15-16

steverino015 05-17-2017 11:03 AM

Illinois, Rhode Island and Wyoming had all offered him a scholarship just recently... good get by coach Grant.. man we just got tall and athletic...)

UDBrian 05-17-2017 11:24 AM

Welcome obadiah

Witj obadiah and Kostas we have added two athletic shot blockers

Hobopotamus1 05-17-2017 11:56 AM

Don't know if it has been said before, but DDN wrote that he was offered by Mississippi State.

San Diego Flyer 05-17-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDBrian (Post 507680)
Welcome obadiah

Witj obadiah and Kostas we have added two athletic shot blockers

And Xeyrius led the team in blocks. I count him as an athletic shot blocker as well.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 05-17-2017 04:21 PM

Welcome Obi!
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...jN2JmqFugAFMI/
Article says he grew 4 inches last year. Anthony gets another assist from Scoochie.

jack72 05-17-2017 10:53 PM

Players who start out playing guard and then grow a bunch usually turn out to be awesome players. They understand the floor better and handle the ball and move better than the average big guy. I am excited about this kid's high ceiling.

C-time 05-17-2017 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 507761)
Players who start out playing guard and then grow a bunch usually turn out to be awesome players. They understand the floor better and handle the ball and move better than the average big guy. I am excited about this kid's high ceiling.

Example #1: Anthony Davis

steverino015 05-18-2017 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 507762)
Example #1: Anthony Davis

Example #2: David Robinson

oldfan 05-18-2017 07:58 AM

Example 3

Ryan Mikesell

Canonball 05-18-2017 09:00 AM

Welcome to the Flyers Obi and good luck!

Atlantic 10 05-18-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfan (Post 507789)
Example 3

Ryan Mikesell

Who???

TheDuke2003 05-18-2017 11:39 AM

Welcome Obi! Back to our 6 man freshman class with Kostas being a RS. Still have that in class class balance, but now we have some serious length.

PG: Jalen Crutcher (6'3")
SG: Jordan Davis (6'4")
SF: Kostas Antetekoumnpo (6'10")
PF: Obi Toppin (6'9")
C: Jordan Pierce (6'11")

Then throw in Matej Svoboda at 6'7" who could possibly see time at SG, SF, and PF depending on the lineup we run out there once these guys are running the show. Heading into next year I expect it to be:

PG: John Crosby (25 min), Jalen Crutcher (15 min)
SG: Darrell Davis (25 min), Jordan Davis (12 min), Matej Svoboda (3 min)
SF: Kostas Antetekoumnpo (22 min), Matej Svoboda (12 min), Trey Landers (6 min)
PF: Josh Cunningham (24 min), Trey Landers (8 min), Obi Toppin (8 minutes)
C: Xerius Williams (25 minutes), Jordan Pierce (10 minutes), Obi Toppin (5 minutes)

Injured: Sam Miller, Ryan Mikesell

That's a lot of people getting signigicant minutes, but I just don't see anyone who is going to be that high 20's or 30+ minute a night guy. I suppose the best bet would be DD or Cunningham, but DD has never been "the man" and Cunningham is still uncertain coming back from that injury. Given the kind of defensive pressure CAG is going to demand, I could see a lot of rotation taking place, and a lot of the young players getting significant minutes.

DallasFlyer 05-18-2017 12:51 PM

Matej is the wildcard. He has a couple extra years development playing against older, stronger players. At 20, he is not your typical frosh. He may play a lot assuming no Mikesell. Could push for starter minutes even.

TA111 05-18-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 507824)
Matej is the wildcard. He has a couple extra years development playing against older, stronger players. At 20, he is not your typical frosh. He may play a lot assuming no Mikesell. Could push for starter minutes even.

Agreed. I believe Matej will be the surprise newcomer this year. Having played in a professional league is a huge advantage.

Flyer2 05-18-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 (Post 507797)
Who???

Ryan Mikesell, he's the player who played in pain with two bad hips in case you didn't know. I'm sure he'll thank you for your support.

Flyer'95 05-18-2017 02:22 PM

Wow, the more i see of Toppin the more i like. The clips on that hudl site are impressive. Good hands, good instincts, good passing. Can run the floor. Rebound. Pick and pop and shoot the three. He really is an amazing pickup this late in the game and can't believe he wasn't recruited harder. With him and Kostas, we have two guys with ridiculously long strides who can also handle the ball. Such a matchup nightmare for most teams. We just need our guards to rise to the occasion. Because we are loaded with potential at the 3-5 spots. Xerius, Kostas, Cunningham, Svoboda, and now Toppin. Pretty great options. I'm hoping those rebounding numbers really turn around now after years of being undersized down low.

Atlantic 10 05-18-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer2 (Post 507833)
Ryan Mikesell, he's the player who played in pain with two bad hips in case you didn't know. I'm sure he'll thank you for your support.

Really, thanks for clarifying

CT Flyer 05-18-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 (Post 507813)
Welcome Obi! Back to our 6 man freshman class with Kostas being a RS. Still have that in class class balance, but now we have some serious length.

Then throw in Matej Svoboda at 6'7" who could possibly see time at SG, SF, and PF depending on the lineup we run out there once these guys are running the show. Heading into next year I expect it to be:

C: Xerius Williams (25 minutes), Jordan Pierce (10 minutes), Obi Toppin (5 minutes)

That's a lot of people getting signigicant minutes, but I just don't see anyone who is going to be that high 20's or 30+ minute a night guy. I suppose the best bet would be DD or Cunningham, but DD has never been "the man" and Cunningham is still uncertain coming back from that injury. Given the kind of defensive pressure CAG is going to demand, I could see a lot of rotation taking place, and a lot of the young players getting significant minutes.

I'm guessing Svoboda will get more than 15 minutes per game.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 05-19-2017 10:51 AM

MikeF 05-19-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 507926)

At first I wondered if that domain was another jacked up way of spelling "loud."

Kid Flyer 05-20-2017 06:24 AM

I would expect more minutes for Crutcher and Jordan Davis out of the gate. Crosby and Durrell were mental midgets the past two years. Jordan Davis can light it up and plays with poise. Crosby and Darrell will have to show up this year with entirely different composures and mental frameworks. I don't see it happening. I don't see the two of them starting together. It would be dumb and dumber. Svoboda could be an electric 6th Man. I expect big things from Landers as well.

Gazoo 05-20-2017 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sthring (Post 508019)
I would expect more minutes for Crutcher and Jordan Davis out of the gate. Crosby and Durrell were mental midgets the past two years. Jordan Davis can light it up and plays with poise. Crosby and Darrell will have to show up this year with entirely different composures and mental frameworks. I don't see it happening. I don't see the two of them starting together. It would be dumb and dumber. Svoboda could be an electric 6th Man. I expect big things from Landers as well.

Speaking of mental midgets . . .

Gazoo 05-20-2017 07:38 AM

Quote:

Most years there are 1-3 guys who basically never get off the bench when you've got a full roster. Those guys are usually freshmen. I would expect Obi to play very limited minutes until I at least see him in the red-blue game. The position is just crowded right now.

I think Sam's minutes will rely on 2 things: how Jordan develops, and how AG wants to use his big men. If Jordan is like most freshmen big men, he'll pick a lot of splinters. But if he's game-ready as a freshman he could take a lot of minutes from Sam. Hard to say at this point.

UDBrian 05-20-2017 08:04 AM

The minutes for each player might depend a lot on their ability to play defense. I remember Anthony saying they wanted to be disruptive on defense. Miller brings some things to the table but being disruptive on defense isn't one of them. Of course you cannot have a younger player out there who is giving up layups because he hasn't mastered the defense yet

Buckleyma 05-20-2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 508023)
Most years there are 1-3 guys who basically never get off the bench when you've got a full roster. Those guys are usually freshmen. I would expect Obi to play very limited minutes until I at least see him in the red-blue game. The position is just crowded right now.

I think Sam's minutes will rely on 2 things: how Jordan develops, and how AG wants to use his big men. If Jordan is like most freshmen big men, he'll pick a lot of splinters. But if he's game-ready as a freshman he could take a lot of minutes from Sam. Hard to say at this point.

I concur, at 6'9" 200, he is not ready for A10 division 1 basketball. He is painfully thin. It will probably be a good idea to red-shirt him this year. Sam Miller is not strong enough for this league, but in practice Sam Miller will probably be too much for him th handle down low. Even our painfully thin Kostas will be too much for him to guard.

I remember both Benson and Montague played at 6'9" 205. But, that was a different era. Players are stronger, now. They have better trainers. Red-shirt him, please? Or else Pierce will break something on this kid in practice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Atlantic 10 05-20-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckleyma (Post 508036)
I concur, at 6'9" 200, he is not ready for A10 division 1 basketball. He is painfully thin. It will probably be a good idea to red-shirt him this year. Sam Miller is not strong enough for this league, but in practice Sam Miller will probably be too much for him th handle down low. Even our painfully thin Kostas will be too much for him to guard.

I remember both Benson and Montague played at 6'9" 205. But, that was a different era. Players are stronger, now. They have better trainers. Red-shirt him, please? Or else Pierce will break something on this kid in practice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Right now we are down 2 players on the roster, let's wait and see what happens before thinking of red shirting anyone

San Diego Flyer 05-20-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

We know what Xeyrius can do at 6'8" and 210. I'm not sure there is that much difference with Obi at 6-9 and 200. Especially with a half year to work on the bod.

Those height and weight differences are often only marginally accurate. The real difference is how they use it. Obi was a guard not too long ago. He could surprise people. IIRC Xeyrius was a F/C at Wayne. Who would have thought he would excel at 3pt shooting and free throw shooting as well.

These kids just need to get under the lights and see what they can do.

UDTradition 05-20-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sthring (Post 508019)

The only thought in your message that I agree with is "Svoboda could be an electric 6th Man".

Before you call 2 hard working Flyers "mental midgets"...consider spel chek...

Who the heck is is Durrell???

CJ43 05-20-2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Was gonna let this go but I couldn't- because I would imagine you are a semi- informed flyers fan who actually watches some games since you are posting on this website. So I just wanted to know what you're thinking...

While I think its silly to put how many minutes each player is going to get at each position because of the way basketball is transitioning towards being positionless. How can you possibly say that X-man is only going to get minutes at the center position??? The guy plays more like a 3 than a 5 with his ability to hit outside shots.

Also how can you put Cunningham as not getting any center minutes? While I understand he probably plays more like a 4 than a 5. At times he was our only playable center in games last year and he is the only center on this team that I trust.

UDDoug 05-20-2017 03:53 PM

I am not sure you see Obi ready to play inside day one. As a stretch 4 maybe. But he, like Kostas, is much more of a wing.

They may both play inside out if necessity

Cunningham, Pierce are much more inside players.
Posted via Mobile Device

San Diego Flyer 05-20-2017 05:44 PM

For the most part, I think we can lose the inside outside talk. These recruits are lightweights with length that will show us they can move and turn up anywhere.

Kid Flyer 05-21-2017 02:10 AM

Durrell is a nickname for DD brought over from the Blackburn Review http://www.blackburnreview.com/ode-to-durrell/

San Diego Flyer 05-21-2017 08:50 AM

I'm late to this party, but isn't Durrell the Charles Barkley pronunciation for Darrell? :rolleyes:

maddog07 05-21-2017 10:12 AM

It means "player who can't make a layup".
Posted via Mobile Device

longtimefan 05-21-2017 11:21 AM

That is turrible!

bcross 05-21-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Conversely, I'm guessing Miller/Pierce would have a hard time staying in front/closing out to Tobbin on defense. If the height/weight are accurate, Tobbin isn't going to be asked guard the post. He still has enough size to play the 3 or 4 and fill a role on this team.

UDTradition 05-21-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sthring (Post 508091)
Durrell is a nickname for DD brought over from the Blackburn Review http://www.blackburnreview.com/ode-to-durrell/

I thought that Blackburn was dead?

DallasFlyer 05-21-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDTradition (Post 508123)
I thought that Blackburn was dead?

You seem to be having trouble with the concept of nicknames and aliases. So I have to ask, by chance is UDTradition your given birth name?

hawkoooo 05-22-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDDoug (Post 508060)
I am not sure you see Obi ready to play inside day one. As a stretch 4 maybe. But he, like Kostas, is much more of a wing.

They may both play inside out if necessity

Cunningham, Pierce are much more inside players.
Posted via Mobile Device

Completely agree. I would also add Miller in there from a sheer size perspective. Not including this offseason he is at 240. That gives him at least 40 lbs on both Kostas and Obi. I don't see anyone but Cunningham and Miller playing the "5" spot with Pierce getting some garbage minutes (or more depending on his performance).

UDTradition 05-22-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 508127)
You seem to be having trouble with the concept of nicknames and aliases. So I have to ask, by chance is UDTradition your given birth name?

I guess so !

BTW - I relish sarcasm but Blackburn's shtick stopped being funny years ago. I had trouble wading through his excellent commentary that was too often couched in (what seemed to be) bitter-sarcasm. I deleted the bookmark...but maybe I'll give it a try because nicknames like "Durrell" are just so darn clever.

Buster Goode 10-09-2019 02:09 PM

Bump. Interesting thread read now with what we know about Obi.

I kind of laugh when people gush all over new signees without knowing or seeing anything. Everyone here was pretty spot on about Obi.

ud2 10-09-2019 10:29 PM

Definitely seems like he was way under the radar. There are still diamonds in the rough to be found on the recruiting trail.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/obadiah-toppin lists offers from:

Siena None - Committed Elsewhere
Georgia State None - Committed Elsewhere
St. Bonaventure None - Committed Elsewhere
Fordham None - Committed Elsewhere
Rhode Island None - Committed Elsewhere
Mississippi State None - Committed Elsewhere
Maryland Eastern Shore None - Committed Elsewhere
Wyoming None - Committed Elsewhere
Illinois None - Committed Elsewhere
Georgia None - Committed Elsewhere
Quinnipiac None - Committed Elsewhere
Jacksonville State None - Committed Elsewhere

Justin 10-10-2019 09:57 AM

Late to the party. I'm going to predict Obadiah will be first-team A10 and Rookie of the Year in 2019. It's a reach but I see his potential.

BeckysTXA 10-10-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 594950)
Late to the party. I'm going to predict Obadiah will be first-team A10 and Rookie of the Year in 2019. It's a reach but I see his potential.

And he will only start 15 games, making this prediction even more impressive.

Medford 10-10-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 594950)

I have the exact opposite feeling, he's only going to play 2 years before leaving, just like Sam Miller and Ralph Hill...Big Men Busts.

EliteEight 10-10-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

This aged very well. Obi 1 and the force is most definitely on our side.

TXFlyerFan 10-10-2019 08:58 PM

This Obi fellow sounds intriguing. I quite like the cut of his jib

priceg75 10-11-2019 08:07 AM

Nah, look at that offer list, he sucks

MrFlyerFanatic 10-11-2019 09:58 AM

Not everything aged well

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDTradition (Post 508051)
The only thought in your message that I agree with is "Svoboda could be an electric 6th Man".

It didn't happen, but we all hoped it would.
There is another comment about Miller and Pierce not being able to box out Obi. Never got to prove it, but that was probably spot on.

Medford 10-11-2019 12:49 PM

I remember at one point, there was a mock draft out there that showed both Bother of Giannis and Svoboda as 1st round picks, perhaps even low end lottery picks after their sophomore season. Needless to say, that didn't stick.

CE80 10-11-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic (Post 595048)
It didn't happen, but we all hoped it would.
There is another comment about Miller and Pierce not being able to box out Obi. Never got to prove it, but that was probably spot on.

It’s hard to box anyone out when you are not at practice.
Posted via Mobile Device

m21eagle45 10-11-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medford (Post 595059)
I remember at one point, there was a mock draft out there that showed both Bother of Giannis and Svoboda as 1st round picks, perhaps even low end lottery picks after their sophomore season. Needless to say, that didn't stick.

I wish Giannis would have gone here! I think he still would have been a lottery pick, but at least Kostas will still go down as being a 1 and done and drafted from UD. ;)

oldfan 10-11-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medford (Post 595059)

That may have stuck if they had stuck around but they did not stick so we are stuck not knowing for sure whether it would or would not stick.

John C. 03-26-2020 11:22 AM

Little did we know what we were getting at the time.

Fudd 03-26-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

This was prophetic.

UDEE79 03-26-2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitdowndigger (Post 507613)

This high school hi light is fun to watch

UDEE79 03-26-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 507626)
A short blurb...

http://georgiabasketballblog.com/pos...-maryland-uga/:

Obadiah Toppin: ...He has offers from Maryland – Eastern Shore, Quinnipiac, Jacksonville State and Siena. Virginia Tech has expressed interest in him as well.

Where is Quinnipiac?

jack72 03-26-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDEE79 (Post 624360)
This high school hi light is fun to watch

How did so many miss on Obi? Glad they did. He showed great talent in this clip.

CT Flyer 03-26-2020 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDEE79 (Post 624361)
Where is Quinnipiac?

Hamden, CT, just outside of New Haven, and nowhere near Dayton.

FlyingArrow 03-26-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDEE79 (Post 624361)
Where is Quinnipiac?

Great cross-thread callback.

UDEE79 03-26-2020 03:32 PM

When I finish my time machine first I am going to go back and post a prediction that Obi will win player of the year. THEN I'll kill baby Hitler. Slight change in priorities.

Bill McPeek 03-26-2020 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT Flyer (Post 624377)
Hamden, CT, just outside of New Haven, and nowhere near Dayton.

Where's New Haven?

Fudd 03-26-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill McPeek (Post 624386)
Where's New Haven?

Connecticut is about 70 miles by 50 miles, so location options are limited.