UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   XW saved the game twice (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31411)

Smitty10 11-11-2017 05:20 PM

XW saved the game twice

Turns out it was XW with the wherewithal to call the timeout that kept us from dying with a John Crosby half court heave. Then made the great pass that we were all aware of.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...q7m9wdHoqmrrK/

ud69 11-11-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 519362)
Turns out it was XW with the wherewithal to call the timeout that kept us from dying with a John Crosby half court heave. Then made the great pass that we were all aware of.

Good point. In live-ball situations, coaches can only call a timeout while ball is being inbounded. Once the ball was passed in, AG could not call timeout - only a player. Excellent awareness by XW.

ruechalgrin 11-11-2017 06:40 PM

Being balanced, was beat terribly on basket for Ball St to go up 1.

Smitty10 11-11-2017 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin (Post 519365)

Okay, gave up game once and saved it twice. If a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio is good, have to give him props for this 2-1.

ud69 11-11-2017 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin (Post 519365)

Being balanced - was having severe cramping and had to have fluids pumped in after the game.

ruechalgrin 11-11-2017 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud69 (Post 519369)
Being balnaced - was having severe cramping and had to have fluids pumped after the game.

I am a XW fan, but he should be able to go 40 minutes at that age without cramping. Makes me question his off-season conditioning, whether he drinks enough fluids during the game, whether he is sleeping enough, and whether he is eating right. Or perhaps he was sick and if so, I apologize.

Again, XW was a beast last year and will be the next two years. Great two decisions at the end of the game, high IQ player. But keeping it real, XW had an ok to bad game overall.

THirt 11-11-2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin (Post 519374)
I am a XW fan, but he should be able to go 40 minutes at that age without cramping. Makes me question his off-season conditioning, whether he drinks enough fluids during the game, whether he is sleeping enough, and whether he is eating right. Or perhaps he was sick and if so, I apologize.

Again, XW was a beast last year and will be the next two years. Great two decisions at the end of the game, high IQ player. But keeping it real, XW had an ok to bad game overall.

For whatever it’s worth, it was hotter than usual last night in the Arena (not as hot as the exhibition game, but still a little toasty). Kostas came out and laid by the bench getting his calf stretched out behind the huddle in the first half, and Baby D also got some calf cramps and was worked on by the training staff in the second half. Xeyrius spend a good amount of time during the last two games on the exercise bike behind the bench whenever he wasn’t on the floor. Wonder if he has a stiff back or something.

Agree 100% he had a so-so game overall. Got lost a bunch of times on D. Coach Grant was displeased after one of BSU’s first half threes and let #20 know about it. He got burned badly on the last layup for Ball State.

That said, he played a lot of tough minutes for us and he will improve. Lot of season ahead and we have guys who seem to want to get better.
Posted via Mobile Device

ruechalgrin 11-11-2017 07:46 PM

Thanks for the context on the temperature in the Arena!
Posted via Mobile Device

SeasonTicketFan 11-11-2017 09:15 PM

It was very warm in the arena. Large crowd probably had something to do with it.

Athletes cramp every day now. This is part of pushing the envelope. Sometimes hard to prevent.

jack72 11-11-2017 09:28 PM

Cramping may not be lack of conditioning. It may be dehydration or lack of certain vitamins or minerals in the body.

BRob2Perryman3 11-12-2017 09:00 AM

H e earned his scholarship on that timeout and the coming inbounds pass

Smitty10 11-12-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 519415)
H e earned his scholarship on that timeout and the coming inbounds pass

I already thought he had earned his scholarship, but I'll give you that he might have earned a co-captain's position for next year :)

Gazoo 11-13-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THirt (Post 519377)
For whatever it’s worth, it was hotter than usual last night in the Arena (not as hot as the exhibition game, but still a little toasty). Kostas came out and laid by the bench getting his calf stretched out behind the huddle in the first half, and Baby D also got some calf cramps and was worked on by the training staff in the second half. Xeyrius spend a good amount of time during the last two games on the exercise bike behind the bench whenever he wasn’t on the floor. Wonder if he has a stiff back or something.

Agree 100% he had a so-so game overall. Got lost a bunch of times on D. Coach Grant was displeased after one of BSU’s first half threes and let #20 know about it. He got burned badly on the last layup for Ball State.

That said, he played a lot of tough minutes for us and he will improve. Lot of season ahead and we have guys who seem to want to get better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Unless it's Mojave Desert hot or "surface of US Open" tennis tournament hot, the temperature isn't a factor here. It's no 110 degrees on the surface of the court at UD arena.

OK, it's 75 instead of 72. If that's the difference between cramping and not cramping, then it's not fluids they need it's Midol.

THirt 11-13-2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 519534)
Unless it's Mojave Desert hot or "surface of US Open" tennis tournament hot, the temperature isn't a factor here. It's no 110 degrees on the surface of the court at UD arena.

OK, it's 75 instead of 72. If that's the difference between cramping and not cramping, then it's not fluids they need it's Midol.

This kind of thing has happened in various circumstances. You could argue the Heat lost game 1 of the 2014 Finals because the A/C went out at the AT&at Center, LeBron cramped up, couldn’t play his usual minutes, and was ineffective when he was out there.

Nobody really knows for sure what causes cramps, but heat, electrolytes/hydration, conditioning, medications all are factors. Would the difference between 70 and 77 degrees make a difference? For one guy, one game, early in the season? Of course it could.

You cannot just “fight through” cramps. Has zero to do with toughness. I did a marathon a few years back, the start was delayed and it ended up hotter than anticipated, and my calf seized up not 20 yards from the finish. I could not put any weight on my right foot for a few moments and ended up having to hop the last few yards to complete the race. There was no mind over matter; when my toe touched the ground, my calf muscles fired and would not stop until I raised my foot back up.

As an aside, Midol would actually be a poor choice here because it has a bit of a diuretic effect.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClaytonFlyerFan 11-13-2017 01:20 PM

Very happy XW called the time out, but....................

Why was it even his job to call a time out? Why was Grant not jumping up and down screaming for one the split second Ball State scored which my understanding is now a dead ball in which case the time out can come from the bench, before UD inbounded the ball, making the ball live again?

Or am I wrong on the rule?

Smitty10 11-13-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 519562)
Very happy XW called the time out, but....................

Why was it even his job to call a time out? Why was Grant not jumping up and down screaming for one the split second Ball State scored which my understanding is now a dead ball in which case the time out can come from the bench, before UD inbounded the ball, making the ball live again?

Or am I wrong on the rule?

Well, if they call time out during deadball, they still have to take the ball the length of court. By getting it to mid court, you have a better grasp of your options. By inbounding quickly, Ball St. has no time to set up the defense on the inbound which could cause the Flyers to use up all the time just trying to get it across the line. If anybody should call timeout after a basket it should be the defense IMO. I always thought during Ohio State game, Flyers should've called timeout instead of letting Craft get the ball and dribble to the basket.

CE80 11-13-2017 01:49 PM

There are different schools of thought in those situations. I thought the most prevalent thinking today is to grab the ball and sprint down straight to the basket - think Rob Lowery vs Fordham a few years back (good outcome) or Aaron Craft vs UD in NCAA tourney (a most excellent outcome). Did they players do what they were coached to do or was it ad lib? They should be prepared to do what they are coached to do.

Gazoo 11-13-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THirt (Post 519559)
This kind of thing has happened in various circumstances. You could argue the Heat lost game 1 of the 2014 Finals because the A/C went out at the AT&at Center, LeBron cramped up, couldn’t play his usual minutes, and was ineffective when he was out there.

Nobody really knows for sure what causes cramps, but heat, electrolytes/hydration, conditioning, medications all are factors. Would the difference between 70 and 77 degrees make a difference? For one guy, one game, early in the season? Of course it could.

You cannot just “fight through” cramps. Has zero to do with toughness. I did a marathon a few years back, the start was delayed and it ended up hotter than anticipated, and my calf seized up not 20 yards from the finish. I could not put any weight on my right foot for a few moments and ended up having to hop the last few yards to complete the race. There was no mind over matter; when my toe touched the ground, my calf muscles fired and would not stop until I raised my foot back up.

As an aside, Midol would actually be a poor choice here because it has a bit of a diuretic effect.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/201...-cramp-c-fails

The temperature in the arena reached 90 degrees for the Miami game. That is certainly enough to cause massive loss of fluids compared to what they train for.

I was not at the arena for the game. I don't know what the temperature was. But at the bottom of the bowl I can't imagine it was any hotter than 75 or maybe 77, compared to a typical temperature of 72. Ain't no way a 3-5 degree temperature difference matters except at the EXTREME margin, where a guy was on the razor's edge of cramping anyway. Even if you want to argue that the normal temperature is 70 and the arena was 77, is that hotter than normal? Yes. Hot enough for the body to even notice a difference? Not unless your conditioning / training / preparation already had you set up for cramps anyway.

So yes, for 1 guy in 1 game early in the season, yes it could be the marginal difference. My point is that the guy must have been already right on the edge of cramping anyway.

I'm not sure if you were pointing the comment at me, but I would in no way disagree that it's impossible to "fight through" cramps. It's like fighting through a torn ACL. If you're cramped, you're cramped, solutions are limited. The Midol comment was just a joke.

Buster Goode 11-15-2017 01:09 PM

Crosby played well against Ball State but wtf was he walking the ball up with 3 seconds to go???? That's horrendous awareness right there.

San Diego Flyer 11-15-2017 01:15 PM

Brain fart. I've seen the pros go to sleep as well on occasion.