UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gem City Pride?! Cheering for WSU to go dancing? (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31984)

murphy98 03-06-2018 07:00 PM

Gem City Pride?! Cheering for WSU to go dancing?

I am. I support Dayton. It’s a great metro area and hope they represent the city. May end up in the first 4
Posted via Mobile Device

John C. 03-06-2018 07:09 PM

Could end up in the first four.

cj 03-06-2018 07:12 PM

Rooting for Wright St. too

Radar 03-06-2018 07:29 PM

Heck yeah! And the story about rallying behind Ryan Custer is inspirational. Oh....and I'd take Louden Love right now!

UDEE79 03-06-2018 07:32 PM

Go Raiders! I am going to day two in the first 4 so I hope the Raiders are in that one.

BRob2Perryman3 03-06-2018 07:35 PM

No chance Wright State gets a 16. No chance Wright State plays First Four. The auto Horizon champ has never gotten less then a 15 IIRC, and Wright State has a great year. Wright State will probably turn us down for a H/H

BRob2Perryman3 03-06-2018 07:36 PM

And yes, Go Raiders!!

cj 03-06-2018 07:39 PM

Lunardi said if WSU wins a 15 seed and if CSU wins a 16 seed playin in Dayton Tuesday.

cj 03-06-2018 07:41 PM

WSU up 8 at half

ruechalgrin 03-06-2018 07:52 PM

Rooting for Wright State, hope they win.

springborofan 03-06-2018 08:05 PM

You have to basically be a turd to not root for WSU. It doesn't mean I want UD/WSU to play every year in a H/H but I'm happy for them if they win.

CE80 03-06-2018 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springborofan (Post 541904)
You have to basically be a turd to not root for WSU. It doesn't mean I want UD/WSU to play every year in a H/H but I'm happy for them if they win.

I guess I am a turd. NE Ohio is rooting for Cleve St.

cj 03-06-2018 08:22 PM

WSU up 12 with 10m to go.

longtimefan67 03-06-2018 08:28 PM

Wright St. is looking good- i have some family that graduated there- including my son. I would hate to see them have to play in the first 4 but don’t take them for anything less- they have a nice team.
Posted via Mobile Device

BRob2Perryman3 03-06-2018 08:31 PM

Lunardi's most recent update on Twitter has them his last 14

udx2 03-06-2018 08:43 PM

Announcers just said that Lunardi has WS as a 15. Big thing is that they will be dancing. Got spoiled with 4 straight dances and want more for UD.

rasta man 03-06-2018 08:43 PM

I'm a turd, I like WSU about as much as I like X, UC and M*ch

Radar 03-06-2018 08:56 PM

Congratulations Raiders.

Flyer69ers 03-06-2018 09:19 PM

I am not a turd. Good Luck WSU.

CE80 03-06-2018 09:22 PM

Sam Miller's new team is dancing too. Charleston beats Northeaster to win CAA

SeasonTicketFan 03-06-2018 09:35 PM

You can see quite a few UD fans at Wright State games. In the Dayton area, there are fans who graduated from both universities and/or root for both programs. UD has more than a few Wright State grads attending games at UD arena.

Despite the chatter, UD and Wright State won’t play a regular season game for a long, long time. They really aren’t a rival anymore, just like Ohio State and UC.

Wright State has a good coach and some nice players on this year’s team.

rollo 03-06-2018 09:45 PM

Scott Nagy is a great steal for WSU and Love should be a Flyer. :D

steverino015 03-06-2018 09:45 PM

its not up to Lunardi, its up to the NCAA select...

but lets go a step further now - just sayin - lets say UD gets on a roll and wins the A10 tournament... you are on the select committee and the opportunity is now right there in front of you lol.... do you pull the trigger and do it? Wright St and UD in the First Four

remember, this is the committee that had in years past had Princeton facing NC, because Princeton had a player named Michael Jordan...

I know, the team is not near deep enough for a tournament run, but if it happened, where would you seed UD and Wright St? just curious

ud69 03-06-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steverino015 (Post 541939)
but lets go a step further now - just sayin - lets say UD gets on a roll and wins the A10 tournament... you are on the select committee and the opportunity is now right there in front of you lol.... do you pull the trigger and do it? Wright St and UD in the First Four

Not possible - only seeds 65-68 and the last 4 at-large teams are eligible for the First Four.

Beatty Town Coach 03-06-2018 10:13 PM

I know what you are saying, but compare RPI'S, and if WSU is a 14/15, then I would not say impossible given UD'S record and RPI. I agree. I've always figured it impossible for UD to be a sixteen seed, but when you see their record and power ranking, hmmmmm????

CONGRATS RAIDERS, AND GOOD LUCK IN NCAA!

murphy98 03-06-2018 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach (Post 541944)
I know what you are saying, but compare RPI'S, and if WSU is a 14/15, then I would not say impossible given UD'S record and RPI. I agree. I've always figured it impossible for UD to be a sixteen seed, but when you see their record and power ranking, hmmmmm????

CONGRATS RAIDERS, AND GOOD LUCK IN NCAA!

Posted via Mobile Device

murphy98 03-06-2018 11:36 PM

I’d like to see them in the first four. Get to play a winnable game at home on national TV. I don’t see WSU winning a game vs a 2 seed so getting an actual game they have a chance to win, would be cool
Posted via Mobile Device

longtimefan67 03-07-2018 06:05 AM

It might be fun to watch Wright St. play any of the following local teams:
x
UC
Ohio St.
UK
Purdue (actually ESPN has them facing Purdue with their Bracketology bs)
West Virginia
Duke ( I know they ain’t local...)
Posted via Mobile Device

shocka43 03-07-2018 06:22 AM

I don't see them putting UD in a First Four game again...ever.

The other side to that is UD travels well...why fill the seats of an Arena they are going to fill anyway for the F4 when those seats will travel to wherever UD is playing...especially within a 6-8 hour drive.

Maybe they would pair UD and WSU just like UD and OSU met....but I don't think it would be at UD.

Good luck to WSU.

rollo 03-07-2018 08:08 AM

MrFlyerFanatic 03-07-2018 08:14 AM

I see WSU going back to Detroit to face Michigan or Michigan State.

T-Bone 84 03-07-2018 08:41 AM

I have family and friends who’ve graduated from Wright State. Glad to see them win the HL Tourney and go dancing. Best of luck, Raiders!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jack D 03-07-2018 09:21 AM

meh....

congrats and good luck

shocka43 03-07-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 541976)

Dayton definitely wins this contest.

Beatty Town Coach 03-07-2018 11:23 AM

Shocka43, you sir are inherently biased; and rightfully so. You definitely understand marriage.

The only thing I can say, is GO FLYERS and GO RAIDERS.

The rest of the above conversation is way too rationale. When dealing with the entity known as the NCAA, all bets of sanity are on hold. When you think they won't do this, or they wouldn't do that,etc....lookout.

I think Longtimefan and MrFlyerfanatic have it likely right, that wright state is likely to face X, UC, or a regional B10 school. I'm not predicting their NCAA victories, but if we summarize Wright State's season, they finish second regular season they were the number 2 overall seed, they beat Northern Kentucky in a game, won 25 games, and they are conference tournament champions. That is really getting it done! that is better than good, they are tough. and it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they win a game or two.

CT Flyer 03-07-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 541976)

Glad to see the Nutt so full at that game...

UD62 03-07-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach (Post 542024)
Shocka43, you sir are inherently biased; and rightfully so. You definitely understand marriage.

The only thing I can say, is GO FLYERS and GO RAIDERS.

The rest of the above conversation is way too rationale. When dealing with the entity known as the NCAA, all bets of sanity are on hold. When you think they won't do this, or they wouldn't do that,etc....lookout.

I think Longtimefan and MrFlyerfanatic have it likely right, that wright state is likely to face X, UC, or a regional B10 school. I'm not predicting their NCAA victories, but if we summarize Wright State's season, they finish second regular season they were the number 2 overall seed, they beat Northern Kentucky in a game, won 25 games, and they are conference tournament champions. That is really getting it done! that is better than good, they are tough. and it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they win a game or two.

Actually beat the Norse in both games. They have had a good season and deserve to Dance.

longtimefan 03-07-2018 12:51 PM

They did great. They beat the 6 seed, the 7 seed, and the 8 seed in the 26th ranked conference in the country to make the dance.

rollo 03-07-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan (Post 542047)
They did great. They beat the 6 seed, the 7 seed, and the 8 seed in the 26th ranked conference in the country to make the dance.

I sure hope My Flyers can be so fortunate.

UD62 03-07-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan (Post 542047)

And therefore deserve to Dance. Not saying they are a great team. Said they had a good season, and as you said, won a conference championship. Although I doubt that was the intention of your post.

Smitty10 03-07-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steverino015 (Post 541939)

remember, this is the committee that had in years past had Princeton facing NC, because Princeton had a player named Michael Jordan...

I know, the team is not near deep enough for a tournament run, but if it happened, where would you seed UD and Wright St? just curious

I don't know the history of the tourney well enough to know the answer to this question. The question is this. Has any 16 seed come from a conference that also had another team in the dance? The A10 has fallen no doubt, but I'm thinking not enough to put a 16 seed in the tournament. Winning a tournament with one sure at large team with at least one more team on the bubble would have to move the conference tournament champion out of the 16 seed I would think.

rollo 03-07-2018 02:21 PM

WSU Head Coach Scott Nagy is 52 with like 22+ years as a head coach...and his record speaks for itself. I honestly wonder how long he'll be at WSU. Some of those schools accused recently of cheating might be lining up to interview him.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...tt-nagy-1.html

And at $500k/year, he'd jump at a Big5 offer.

https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sp...ze3NmjUsqj6aP/

OSU Flyer 03-07-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 542056)
WSU Head Coach Scott Nagy is 52 with like 22+ years as a head coach...and his record speaks for itself. I honestly wonder how long he'll be at WSU. Some of those schools accused recently of cheating might be lining up to interview him.

He left many of the players on the South Dakota St team that's made the tourney the past two years

Beatty Town Coach 03-07-2018 03:31 PM

Not the conference

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 542051)
I don't know the history of the tourney well enough to know the answer to this question. The question is this. Has any 16 seed come from a conference that also had another team in the dance? The A10 has fallen no doubt, but I'm thinking not enough to put a 16 seed in the tournament. Winning a tournament with one sure at large team with at least one more team on the bubble would have to move the conference tournament champion out of the 16 seed I would think.

It's not the conference, it's the school/team that would be seeded. A sixteen seed, just like a one seed, is only a sixteen or a one, as it relates to the schhols/teams in the field. Conference is only a factor, not a seed; and most of said factoring is already in the proof of record and power ranking pudding. At 130+, UD is pretty low for a potential tournament seeding; but let's say it was Fordham, and/or others from the lower part of the A10, do you think they would absolutely avoid the sixteen line?

Beatty Town Coach 03-07-2018 03:49 PM

below the UD, the A-10 has 11 additional schools ranked 139 through 286; and only three schools in the top 100, and one of those is 80 +. to say the Atlantic 10 Has Fallen is a substantial understatement. the conference is Now Ranked 11th, And HadS Fallen BELOW the Mid-American.

Smitty10 03-07-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach (Post 542065)
It's not the conference, it's the school/team that would be seeded. A sixteen seed, just like a one seed, is only a sixteen or a one, as it relates to the schhols/teams in the field. Conference is only a factor, not a seed; and most of said factoring is already in the proof of record and power ranking pudding. At 130+, UD is pretty low for a potential tournament seeding; but let's say it was Fordham, and/or others from the lower part of the A10, do you think they would absolutely avoid the sixteen line?

Can you answer the original question? Then I can answer yours. I realize a conference doesn't get seeded. However, if you win a conference tournament that has one at large and at least one bubble team, you're most likely too good to be seeded 16. And that goes for Fordham also if they should win the tournament.

ClevelandFlyer05 03-07-2018 04:50 PM

Teams like Cleveland State with such abysmal regular season records have no business even sniffing the tournament, but I was pulling for them as they are my "other" alma mater. But it's a moot point now and I'm happy to support any Ohio team as they move on to play in the Dance so best of luck to the Raiders.

OSU Flyer 03-07-2018 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 542070)
Can you answer the original question? Then I can answer yours. I realize a conference doesn't get seeded. However, if you win a conference tournament that has one at large and at least one bubble team, you're most likely too good to be seeded 16. And that goes for Fordham also if they should win the tournament.

Georgia won the SEC tourney back in like 08 and was a 14 seed with a losing record.

I'd think if we or Fordham won there's a chance we're a 15 or 16 depending on how wins some of the low major tourneys

BRob2Perryman3 03-07-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 542076)
Georgia won the SEC tourney back in like 08 and was a 14 seed with a losing record.

I'd think if we or Fordham won there's a chance we're a 15 or 16 depending on how wins some of the low major tourneys

Chip and a chair.....just need an invite to the dance....opponent is irrelevant.

longtimefan 03-07-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandFlyer05 (Post 542071)
I'm happy to support any Ohio team as they move on to play in the Dance so best of luck to the Raiders.

We should all be pulling for Xavier to make the Final Four!

shocka43 03-07-2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan (Post 542082)

Pushing it there longtime...might have to red card you for that one...

OSU Flyer 03-07-2018 06:39 PM

Xavier can be the first 1 seed to lose a 16

ud2 03-07-2018 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 542056)

Do you have any insight on how WSU managed to land Nagy? The only thing I read is that Dayton is closer to family/relatives than South Dakota.

And no offense to WSU, but I bet he could have gone somewhere better. I would be worried about him jumping ship if I was WSU.

That is the way it is these days for low-majors/mid-majors, you win, and your coach is the new hot name, and some other bigger school swoops in and takes him.

JimBo 03-08-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Them there are what I call fighting words.

rollo 03-08-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

https://media.giphy.com/media/96BzySc2XqjW8/giphy.gif

https://i.imgur.com/45fMYQX.gif

https://i.makeagif.com/media/7-23-2015/RbRCpm.gif

longtimefan 03-08-2018 10:54 AM

If we're going to root for Wright State we might as well root for Xavier. I thought we wanted schools in Southwestern Ohio to do well. Both are schools we used to play but don't play any longer. Both fan bases hate us and have been bashing, trashing, and making fun of us for years. To Wright State fans we are the Dayton Cryers. Of course I hate Xavier, but I hate Wright State too, so I won't be rooting for either one of them. I see no reason I should root for WSU simply because they are located in Fairborn.

rollo 03-08-2018 10:57 AM

I don't know any Wright State fans who hate UD. :D

I don't know any _avier fans who like UD. :angryfire:

MikeFlyer 03-08-2018 11:43 AM

I have no reason to root for xavier. I will however root for WSU. I can admit I have been watching them most of the season. Had to find someone who could win.

foolishpride 03-08-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan (Post 542172)
If we're going to root for Wright State we might as well root for Xavier. I thought we wanted schools in Southwestern Ohio to do well. Both are schools we used to play but don't play any longer. Both fan bases hate us and have been bashing, trashing, and making fun of us for years. To Wright State fans we are the Dayton Cryers. Of course I hate Xavier, but I hate Wright State too, so I won't be rooting for either one of them. I see no reason I should root for WSU simply because they are located in Fairborn.

What fan base, outside of players' friends and family and former players is there for Wright State? Have you seen their attendance? I know quite a few Wright State alumni, and they could care less about Wright State basketball.

ClevelandFlyer05 03-09-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

I guess I should have clarified, Xavier would be my one exception.

NJFlyr71 03-09-2018 09:05 AM

Not sure why this thread in on here .... still

If Gem City PRIDE wants to have a thread of its own maybe they should start one on a different web site.

Gem City Jam and Gem City Pride should be relegated to the dark web. But hey I know some people like to be charitable, but me and Fairborn U :p

And yes if your going to red pip me please don't be a coward and leave your name off in the 'comment'. :eek:

Thanks

NJFlyr71 03-09-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 542173)
I don't know any Wright State fans who hate UD. :D

I don't know any _avier fans who like UD. :angryfire:

I do. Maybe hate is a strong word (and used far too much in today's world) maybe more like dislike.

I for one dislike both ... so sue me!

JimBo 03-09-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

This is pretty much I look at it also. I don't have the level of hatred for WSU that I do for xavier though. I won't root for them or against them, I just feel indifference towards them. Basically, I could care less.

xavier is a different story though. I don't think I've ever hated a team or program in any sport or level more than I do them. And before someone accuses me of hating them because of their success, it has nothing to do with that. Just look at what happened at the end of their game yesterday with St. John's, and you'll understand where my hate comes from. Don't recall watching too many of their games without seeing technicals flying, fights, or watching Mack having to be held back by his assistants from going after officials. They win, but they do with zero class or dignity, and their clueless obnoxious fans are oblivious to it, or simply do not care. Watching them lose in the first round would be pure joy for me.

BRob2Perryman3 03-09-2018 11:12 AM

Wright State is just another mid-major potential Cinderella. Wright State doesn't big-time us or keep us out of conferences. I've never had a Wright State fan in a wheelchair try to bait me into a fight after an animated discussion including a personal insult at UD Arena(I didn't). Wright State has never had a player fight dogs. Wright State has never had it's stars want to put players in body bags. Wright State never had their star sleep with an assistant coaches wife(yes, it did happen). Wright State never had a player hold up a 7/11 with a pistol. Wright State never had a player **** on the dance floor in a nightclub. Wright State never had a coach nod at me and accept my "You run a clean program" comment at a Reds Opening Day. Wright State has never had a player rip a water fountain out of the wall during a road game. Vitaly Potapenko aside, Wright State is easy to root for.

"F" _avier. if you are rooting for _avier you aren't a fan of my Flyers. Ding me all you want but if you are rooting for _avier in any capacity, you ARE NOT a fan of my Flyers.

Wright State is just another Cinderella in a David vs. Goliath matchup.

Go Raiders!!!

BRob2Perryman3 03-09-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBo (Post 542627)
This is pretty much I look at it also. I don't have the level of hatred for WSU that I do for xavier though. I won't root for them or against them, I just feel indifference towards them. Basically, I could care less.

xavier is a different story though. I don't think I've ever hated a team or program in any sport or level more than I do them. And before someone accuses me of hating them because of their success, it has nothing to do with that. Just look at what happened at the end of their game yesterday with St. John's, and you'll understand where my hate comes from. Don't recall watching too many of their games without seeing technicals flying, fights, or watching Mack having to be held back by his assistants from going after officials. They win, but they do with zero class or dignity, and their clueless obnoxious fans are oblivious to it, or simply do not care. Watching them lose in the first round would be pure joy for me.

My man. :clap:

rollo 03-09-2018 11:33 AM

Hating _avier is easy to understand, but Wright State??? Hating them is like hating a Ford because you can afford a Lexus. They're harmless...:eek:. Let them have their fun. It'll be short lived.

Monster Man 03-09-2018 11:50 AM

My hatred is so deep that I can't watch a X-avier game on TV. J.P. Macura is a total punk and adversely affects my mental health. I'd rather watch Wright State play Youngstown State in January than any X-avier game.

BRob2Perryman3 03-09-2018 12:07 PM

Rooting for _avier to lose is almost,ALMOST as fun as rooting for the Flyers to win. One of my favorite winter pastimes

foolishpride 03-09-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 542657)
Rooting for _avier to lose is almost,ALMOST as fun as rooting for the Flyers to win. One of my favorite winter pastimes

"We Zip-Em Up!" says Tu Holloway and Mark Lyons! :mad::angryfire:

Jack D 03-09-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Never...no way, not a chance in hell would I ever root for _avier