UDPride Discussion Forums    
     

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

» Log in
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Will Kostas Antentumpkdusypemkfhuyupo get drafted? (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32182)

rollo 06-12-2018 12:12 PM

Will Kostas Antentumpkdusypemkfhuyupo get drafted?
 
The 2018 NBA Draft is June 21st...vote away...

San Diego Flyer 06-12-2018 07:31 PM

I voted #1, but only because I could not vote #1/3. If Lew Alcindor had a younger 6"11" brother with good promise, but underdeveloped, someone would have taken chance on him.

rollo 06-13-2018 09:40 AM

29 say 'yes'
23 say 'no'

So far...

Voting is open until Draft Day...June 21st.

longtimefan67 06-14-2018 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 552492)
I voted #1, but only because I could not vote #1/3. If Lew Alcindor had a younger 6"11" brother with good promise, but underdeveloped, someone would have taken chance on him.

You’re right- and that someone likely would have been John Wooden. And he would have gone on to greatness. Had wooden coached Kostas, he would never seen another minute after his first technical for trash talking.
Posted via Mobile Device

rollo 06-14-2018 08:15 AM

Update
 
Yes = 36

No = 28

superfan99 06-14-2018 08:50 AM

Good poll. I believe 3 and 4 are incorrect answers.


If he does not get drafted it will be because there are 60+ better players. In a world where Johnny Manziel gets drafted, attitude and immaturity are not keeping someone from getting drafted. Legal troubles..maybe, but not attitude and immaturity.


If he gets drafted it will not be "solely" because his last name. If he was under 6' tall and slow it wouldn't matter what his last name was. If he gets drafted it will be because of his "talent and upside"...a big part of that upside IS his last name, but the talent part is needed to at least get in the discussion. Nobody gets drafted "solely" on last name, but it is a factor.


I voted for #2, but am hoping he gets drafted. Heck, I root for Andre Iguodala and rooted Antonio Daniels just because their brother went to UD. I will certainly root for a former UD player even if they didn't have a great career here.

rollo 06-14-2018 09:11 AM

SF99, when I first typed the Poll, I only included 2 options 'Yes' and 'No' and just before I hit the 'post poll' button, I remembered how finicky, moody, entitled, curious and perfect my fans, followers, minions and wannabees can be, so I decided to break down the Yes/No options to include some basic reasoning. I darn near made 6 options of 3 Yes and 3 No, but that would have watered down the reasoning and I made the Royal decision to keep it at 4. Is it perfect? No. But I am, so I hit the 'post' button.

I have mixed feelings about Kostas getting drafted. The Flyer in me hopes he does and it helps our image/recruiting. The coach/competitor in me hopes he doesn't because it sends the message that you can have a crappy attitude, not work hard, ignore coaching and you can still reach great heights.

Had he stayed at UD for 2018-19 and then taken a shot at the NBA, he'd have 100% of my support. But I just don't like the (lack of) effort he gave UD in the short time he was here...academically and athletically.

Ultimately, I hope he makes an NBA roster at some point. I don't think he's a puck-*ss loser like #35 and the twin terrors, so I don't harbor any anger toward him. Just disappointment that he didn't give us all he had knowing both parties would have benefitted greatly from a little more focus.

King Rollo the Longwinded...OUT!

superfan99 06-14-2018 09:17 AM

I agree completely Rollo. He has left us with the unsettling feeling of "what could have been". If he had worked hard, fully bought in to the program and coaches, and stayed 1 more year...I believe he would have been a success and one of the all-time fan favorites.

rollo 06-14-2018 09:51 AM

My first Roundtable addition since May '13
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by superfan99 (Post 552619)
I agree completely Rollo. He has left us with the unsettling feeling of "what could have been". If he had worked hard, fully bought in to the program and coaches, and stayed 1 more year...I believe he would have been a success and one of the all-time fan favorites.

For your loyal support of the King and clear understanding that an open mind is as valuable as an open wallet, and that a sense of awareness is necessary in the off-season forums, I do hereby request that you, Superfan99, kneel before thy King so that Queen Rollo may bestow upon you the greatest and most Honorable postition afforded to the Flyer Nation.

From this day forward, through receipt of this Insignia, may the name Superfan99 be spoken and henceforth recognized as a deserving and respected member of the Order of the Golden Testicles. I dub thee Knight;

https://geneacdn.net/bundles/geneane...attlegroup.jpg

Rise, Sir Superfan99!

CE80 06-14-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 552623)
For your loyal support of the King and clear understanding that an open mind is as valuable as an open wallet, and that a sense of awareness is necessary in the off-season forums, I do hereby request that you, Superfan99, kneel before thy King so that Queen Rollo may bestow upon you the greatest and most Honorable postition afforded to the Flyer Nation.

From this day forward, through receipt of this Insignia, may the name Superfan99 be spoken and henceforth recognized as a deserving and respected member of the Order of the Golden Testicles. I dub thee Knight;

https://geneacdn.net/bundles/geneane...attlegroup.jpg

Rise, Sir Superfan99!

Be careful supperfan99. Ever hear of NXIVM?
You know what initials are used to brand the members - K R.

If Rollo invites you to his house for an "induction" ceremony - run the other way.

rollo 06-14-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 552625)
Be careful supperfan99. Ever hear of NXIVM?
You know what initials are used to brand the members - K R.

If Rollo invites you to his house for an "induction" ceremony - run the other way.

The Palatial Estate is offended...unless you were referring to the garage.

San Diego Flyer 06-14-2018 11:16 AM

For one reason or another, 37 fans think he will be drafted. Which basically means they give him a shot.

As far as number 2, never in the history of the draft have the best 60 players been selected in the first 60 picks.

superfan99 06-14-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 552623)
For your loyal support of the King and clear understanding that an open mind is as valuable as an open wallet, and that a sense of awareness is necessary in the off-season forums, I do hereby request that you, Superfan99, kneel before thy King so that Queen Rollo may bestow upon you the greatest and most Honorable postition afforded to the Flyer Nation.

From this day forward, through receipt of this Insignia, may the name Superfan99 be spoken and henceforth recognized as a deserving and respected member of the Order of the Golden Testicles. I dub thee Knight;

https://geneacdn.net/bundles/geneane...attlegroup.jpg

Rise, Sir Superfan99!


Thanks Rollo. This is a "major award". I am almost as excited as the dad in Christmas Story was when he won the leg lamp.

rollo 06-14-2018 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superfan99 (Post 552650)
Thanks Rollo. This is a "major award". I am almost as excited as the dad in Christmas Story was when he won the leg lamp.

You should be honored...and welcome to the 1%! I'll teach you the secret handshake later. It goes something like this...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/a00e13bd7...2vreo1_400.gif

Lifelong Flyer Fan 06-14-2018 02:05 PM

This analysis has him slotted at #31
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ft-projections

rollo 06-14-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 552658)
This analysis has him slotted at #31
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ft-projections

From the link:

"Kostas is an efficient scorer and elite shot-blocker; perhaps he'll also end up a late bloomer like his older brother, Giannis."

"late bloomer"? Giannis? He lots of things but one he's not is a 'late bloomer'! Talk about Fake News...

At 19 he averaged 6.8 pts and 4.4 rbs in the NBA!
At 19, Kostas was a redshirt at UD.

At 20, Giannis averaged 12.7 pts/6.7 rbs...
At 20, Kostas averaged 5.2 pts/2.9 rbs for UD

At 21, Giannis averaged 16.9 pts/7.7 rbs...
At 21, Kostas is TBD.

At 23, the royal late bloomer - Giannis - is arguably a Top 5 NBA talent. What G-League team will employ Kostas when he's 23 and on the verge of budding (which for the uninitiated is what happens before blooming)?


How on rollo's green earth can Giannis be considered a late bloomer?

Dennis Rodman was a late bloomer.
JJ Reddick is a late bloomer...
Kyle Korver is a late bloomer...

Kostas might become a late bloomer, and if he does it 100% won't be 'like his older brother'...

UGH!

MNFats 06-14-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 552658)
This analysis has him slotted at #31
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ft-projections

They are giving him a 76% chance of having a role in the NBA (All-Star, Starter, Role Player).

I think I've been one of the more "pro-Kostas" folks here the last few months...and 76% seems waaaaaaaaay too high. I would have put it at 30% - 40% tops. Still worth a late round pick.

I'm not even sure 1st round picks have a 76% success rate...

Radar 06-15-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 552667)
From the link:

"Kostas is an efficient scorer and elite shot-blocker;

I'm having trouble just wrapping my head around this!

Did he block shots? Yup. Elite? Unless they changed the definition...uh, not yet. He had more turnovers than blocks!

Scorer? Hmmm...5.3ppg. Perhaps since he avg'd just 15 mins/game.

And let's not forget those 3 rebs/game.

rollo 06-15-2018 08:53 AM

Yes = 46
No = 38

6 more days of voting...

rollo 06-18-2018 09:26 AM

Yes = 50
No = 39.

The Draft is Thursday...

cralford 06-18-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 552462)
The 2018 NBA Draft is June 21st...vote away...

Yes he will!

San Diego Flyer 06-18-2018 10:31 AM

Kostas' chances in the draft have never been about stats. It's about all the peripheral things that would influence a GM to take a "flyer" based on size, heritage, age and potential.

You know how I despise the word "lock", but I give Kostas a 50/50 chance this week.

FlyingArrow 06-18-2018 05:18 PM

I think his chances are better than 50/50. He has really high upside. Most of the players who get drafted in the second round will either not play in the NBA or play at a replacement-level. Kostas has a chance to be a star... maybe unlikely and a long way to go. But why draft someone else who won't be better than the best G-League player when you could go for someone who has a chance to make an impact? Some team will think that way. #31 seems high, though. My guess is #45-50.

ud2 06-18-2018 06:21 PM

Unfortunately, I give KA about a 1% chance of getting drafted. I'm sorry, I just do not see this happening at all. There are so many great players that he is competing against, the competition is fierce. He needs a lot more seasoning.

longtimefan67 06-18-2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 552920)
Unfortunately, I give KA about a 1% chance of getting drafted. I'm sorry, I just do not see this happening at all. There are so many great players that he is competing against, the competition is fierce. He needs a lot more seasoning.

I know the NBA seems to draft players based on "potential", but when I see what Chris Wright did at UD, factor in CW's shortcomings vs what he brought game in and game out, shear athleticism, etc...then compare those accomplishments to what KA "did" at UD....based on what they both displayed... No way in h3ll does KA get a 2nd round draft pick.

But he does have that long last name and I suppose that is worth something.

rollo 06-19-2018 08:44 AM

Yes 57
No 43

T-Bone 84 06-19-2018 09:51 AM

An article in today’s DDN (from the wire; not Jablonski or Archdeacon) about KA and his draft prospects. Generally pretty well-balanced, but I threw-up in my mouth a little when I saw a quote from KA saying NBA teams would be impressed with how hard he works on his game.

Uh...they might want to ask CAG about that. Just saying, “caveat emptor”.
Posted via Mobile Device

TXFlyerFan 06-19-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 (Post 552950)
An article in today’s DDN (from the wire; not Jablonski or Archdeacon) about KA and his draft prospects. Generally pretty well-balanced, but I threw-up in my mouth a little when I saw a quote from KA saying NBA teams would be impressed with how hard he works on his game.

Uh...they might want to ask CAG about that. Just saying, “caveat emptor”.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure he's not accurate on that statement. He probably was working on "his" game, it's just that "his" game may not have been the game Grant wanted him to be working on. Having a mis-alignment on vision of your role isn't necessarily uncommon and can lead to friction. I'm sure in his mind, he was working on the things he believed would help him prep for NBA and not necessarily what would help him with UD.

rollo 06-19-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan (Post 552964)
Not sure he's not accurate on that statement. He probably was working on "his" game, it's just that "his" game may not have been the game Grant wanted him to be working on. Having a mis-alignment on vision of your role isn't necessarily uncommon and can lead to friction. I'm sure in his mind, he was working on the things he believed would help him prep for NBA and not necessarily what would help him with UD.

Well, if he was working on his 3-pointers, FTs, leadership or strength, he gets a royal 'F'.

Gazoo 06-19-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 552965)
Well, if he was working on his 3-pointers, FTs, leadership or strength, he gets a royal 'F'.


Unfair. Think how bad he would have been if he had NOT been working on those things. Comparatively he did excellent. :whiteflag:

TXFlyerFan 06-19-2018 02:27 PM

He might have been honing his skills in NBA2K17. I mean, nothing prepares you for the NBA like EA Sports.

jack72 06-19-2018 02:51 PM

If Kostas was working hard the last two years, then he really does not have much talent, and is all size, span, speed and last name.

MNFats 06-19-2018 04:01 PM

I don't think anyone in the NBA is kidding themselves over what he is. And nobody is wasting a pick based on a last name. There is potential there, and a late 2nd round pick is a good time to get the rights to that potential. Little to no risk for the team. Send him away for a couple of years and see what happens. Here is the blurb from Sports Illustrated (they have him going 56th):

Giannis’s younger brother (obviously) seems likely to be drafted in the second round, with the added factor that he can play overseas to develop for a couple years given his Greek passport if he agrees to it. He has serious athletic tools, but a highly questionable feel for the game that limits his upside.

Seems pretty accurate.

ud2 06-21-2018 01:44 PM


MNFats 06-21-2018 02:41 PM

Tonight's the night. I'll be watching (of course, I watch every year, so nothing new there)

I asked Jeeves for all of the two round mocks out there and grabbed the first handful the search returned. By no means a scientific study.

Looking at 11 mock drafts, 9 of the 11 have Kostas being drafted (the holdouts being NBADraft.net which is my personal favorite and Walter Football - he also does basketball!)

The interesting thing is that of the 9 saying he will be drafted, they have a ceiling of the 54th pick and a floor of the 59th pick. Which means either these guys know something, or we have a serious case of "group think" on our hands. So if nothing else, this tells me that if you only want to tune in tonight to see if he gets drafted, there is like a 20 minute window you need to watch.

I'm going on record with 55 to the Hornets. He then spends 2 years in the G league. After that he gets his call up and limited minutes off the bench. What happens after that? Almost anything is a possibility. If you put odds on him being an All Star in 8 years or selling hot dogs at Bucks games, probably the same odds.

CE80 06-21-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 553199)
If you put odds on him being an All Star in 8 years or selling hot dogs at Bucks games, probably the same odds.

I don't know about that, the Bucks are very very selective when hiring vendors.

NCkevi 06-21-2018 03:38 PM

I can say with 100% confidence that no one named Kostas Antentumpkdusypemkfhuyupo will be drafted

Alberto Strasse 06-21-2018 04:04 PM

I'm a Sherlock Holmes Fan
 
and I know the difference between Sherlock Holmes and his brother.

Piqua Flyer '66 06-21-2018 05:46 PM

Not drafted, he might be great someday.
But there are so many so far more developed.
He made big mistake leaving with 3 yrs left.
Where's he going to dev his skills? . Not in some
weak league overseas and not ready for G League

ud2 06-21-2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 553199)
The interesting thing is that of the 9 saying he will be drafted, they have a ceiling of the 54th pick and a floor of the 59th pick. Which means either these guys know something, or we have a serious case of "group think" on our hands. So if nothing else, this tells me that if you only want to tune in tonight to see if he gets drafted, there is like a 20 minute window you need to watch.

7pm to 11pm on ESPN, seems like it usually runs past 11...teams have less time on the clock in round 2 IINM.

IndianaFlyer 06-21-2018 07:20 PM

I agree someone takes a chance and his name is called. My guess is mid 50's.
Posted via Mobile Device

T-Bone 84 06-21-2018 07:36 PM

I say he goes somewhere between 54 and 60, to a team seemingly on the upswing, like the 76ers, who already have a good, young core, and don’t need immediate help,
Posted via Mobile Device

TXFlyerFan 06-22-2018 01:01 AM

#60 To the Mavericks?

MNFats 06-22-2018 01:02 AM

Last pick to the 76ers. Wooooooooooo! Free publicity!

T-Bone 84 06-22-2018 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan (Post 553253)
#60 To the Mavericks?

Nope. To the 76ers. Holy crap! I called it! :D
Posted via Mobile Device

TXFlyerFan 06-22-2018 01:05 AM

yeah, I don't know where the Twitter post had Mavs at #60 unless they traded the pick but yes, 76ers

OSU Flyer 06-22-2018 01:06 AM

so that's what it's like to see a Dayton player drafted

TXFlyerFan 06-22-2018 01:07 AM

Actual tweet from the Mavericks official Twitter account has them selecting Kostas so no idea what's going on

dUDe 06-22-2018 01:09 AM

I predict he won’t play a minute in the league.

OSU Flyer 06-22-2018 01:10 AM

Bobby Karalla

Verified account

@bobbykaralla
47s47 seconds ago
More
The Mavs have acquired the draft rights to Ray Spalding and Kostas Antetokounmpo in exchange for the draft rights to Shake Milton.

OSU Flyer 06-22-2018 01:11 AM

somehow the last pick of the draft seems fitting

flyhi524 06-22-2018 01:13 AM

Last pick, first pick. The Dayton Flyers just had a player drafted into the NBA! Soak it in

OSU Flyer 06-22-2018 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyhi524 (Post 553265)
Last pick, first pick. The Dayton Flyers just had a player drafted into the NBA! Soak it in

this could very well be the highlight of Dayton basketball for the next couple years

Lowd&ProUD 06-22-2018 01:18 AM

On ESPN2, Fran Fraschilla was able to use his classic line in describing Kostas...

"He's a couple years away from being a couple years away."

FlyingArrow 06-22-2018 02:05 AM

Mavs get Doncic and Kostas. European invasion.

longtimefan67 06-22-2018 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 553269)
this could very well be the highlight of Dayton basketball for the next couple years

LOL- I doubt it
Posted via Mobile Device

CE80 06-22-2018 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dUDe (Post 553261)
I predict he won’t play a minute in the league.

I predict that this will be debated ad nauseam.

San Diego Flyer 06-22-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan (Post 553257)
yeah, I don't know where the Twitter post had Mavs at #60 unless they traded the pick but yes, 76ers

Fake News is the order of the day. :)

San Diego Flyer 06-22-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 552920)
Unfortunately, I give KA about a 1% chance of getting drafted. I'm sorry, I just do not see this happening at all. There are so many great players that he is competing against, the competition is fierce. He needs a lot more seasoning.

I'm not going to say you were wrong, but somebody had to be in the 1%. Fate.

ud2 06-22-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 553269)
this could very well be the highlight of Dayton basketball for the next couple years

I had that exact same thought last night.

The crow is a little salty.

Good luck to Kostas, I wish him the best.



+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

San Diego Flyer 06-22-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowd&ProUD (Post 553270)
On ESPN2, Fran Fraschilla was able to use his classic line in describing Kostas...

"He's a couple years away from being a couple years away."

Funniest quote of the draft. :D

longtimefan 06-22-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 553269)
this could very well be the highlight of Dayton basketball for the next couple years


Love this optimism!

longtimefan67 06-22-2018 11:16 AM

He got selected #60 based soley on his last name big brother accomplishment. If his last name was Smith he wouldn’t have been selected.
Posted via Mobile Device

Medford 06-22-2018 11:37 AM

His brother/name may have helped but its not like it was the only reason he got drafted. He has traits that NBA teams desire, length, leaping ability, he can put the ball on the floor a bit for a man his height, etc... He has a long way to go in order to compete on the NBA level, but for a league that routinely drafts and stashes players in the 2nd round, and is just figuring out how to use the G-League as a real minor league development system a team could do a lot worse than draft a kid with the kind of God-given abilities that Kostas has. Its a "lottery ticket" for sure, and one that comes with the added benefit of providing that extra "chip on the table" when Giannis hits free agency in a couple of seasons.


At the end of the day, a player for UD got drafted for the first time in a "longggggggg" time. If he was helping work the basketball camp last week as someone posted, then there can't be that bad of blood between he and the coaching staff. Be happy for him and the program, wish him well and perhaps if he finds success, no matter how small some deem the possibility, it will reflect well on UD and CAG down the road.

ud2 06-22-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 553196)

Updated!...lol...looks and feels good!

What does the * mean? Not a senior?

hawkoooo 06-22-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medford (Post 553308)
His brother/name may have helped but its not like it was the only reason he got drafted. He has traits that NBA teams desire, length, leaping ability, he can put the ball on the floor a bit for a man his height, etc... He has a long way to go in order to compete on the NBA level, but for a league that routinely drafts and stashes players in the 2nd round, and is just figuring out how to use the G-League as a real minor league development system a team could do a lot worse than draft a kid with the kind of God-given abilities that Kostas has. Its a "lottery ticket" for sure, and one that comes with the added benefit of providing that extra "chip on the table" when Giannis hits free agency in a couple of seasons.


At the end of the day, a player for UD got drafted for the first time in a "longggggggg" time. If he was helping work the basketball camp last week as someone posted, then there can't be that bad of blood between he and the coaching staff. Be happy for him and the program, wish him well and perhaps if he finds success, no matter how small some deem the possibility, it will reflect well on UD and CAG down the road.

Poppycock. Those traits are rationalizations for drafting him, not why he was drafted. He was drafted because of his name. Period. There are literally thousands of better and more deserving players out there. He is a bench warmer from a mediocre (at best) A10 team.

I'm as happy as anyone that he was drafted and I hope he becomes a perennial all-star, but that doesn't mean we have to play pretend.

Medford 06-22-2018 12:30 PM

It may have been a big reason, but lets not act like if I changed my last night to Jordan I'd get drafted anytime soon. There are a ton of players who put up much better numbers, for much better teams, but many of those players don't have the length, athletic combo to succeed in the NBA at any point. I love what Josh Cunningham brings to the Flyers, and wouldn't trade his production next year for whatever Kostas would have provided for the Flyers next year, but Josh's body type, and athletic ability leave very, very little chance of working against NBA players.



Kostas already has the height, leaping ability and length that are needed to impact the game. If he had Josh's strenth and work ethic, he'd be a shoe in. Its a gamble, but that is typical of many late 2nd round NBA picks. How many euro's have been drafted, stashed overseas and never see an NBA arena because they don't develop like they hoped. With the G-League and what it has morhped into, there is a much better path for NBA teams to take a risk on a kid with the unteachable skills that Kostas has and hope that they can develop the teachable aspects of the game and turn him into a useful NBA player.


So perhaps there are a 1,000 kids who put up better stats, perhaps worked harder, perhaps cared about their education more, there are not 1,000 draft eligible kids with a better shot at sticking to an NBA roster some day no matter their last name. At the end of the day, size and athletic ability matter a ton in the NBA. The NBA doesn't care about what you did in college, nor who hard you studied (to an extent) they care about what they think they can mold you into over the next 2-3 seasons.

UD_Earl 06-22-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dUDe (Post 553261)
I predict he won’t play a minute in the league.

I predict you are very very wrong.

NCkevi 06-22-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkoooo (Post 553310)
Poppycock. Those traits are rationalizations for drafting him, not why he was drafted. He was drafted because of his name. Period.

If all you need is the right name why wasn't Jeffrey Jordan drafted?

UDTradition 06-22-2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dUDe (Post 553261)
I predict he won’t play a minute in the league.

What a buzz-killer. I predict that this will not be the last buzz that you'll kill.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 06-22-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 553309)
Updated!...lol...looks and feels good!

What does the * mean? Not a senior?

Only other player on that list with a * is Johnny Davis. It must mean left college before exhausting their eligibility.

What I don't understand is why Steve's name is on there for 2019. He would have been a senior eligibility wise this academic year, and they have JR. And why do they have FL Gulf Coast listed at his school??

Lowd&ProUD 06-22-2018 03:02 PM

Crossed my mind earlier today that Kostas might not have even liked that he was drafted at #60.

Were the Bucks ready to sign him if he went undrafted? If so, wouldn't that have been preferable?

If the Bucks weren't planning on signing him, now that would be telling.

San Diego Flyer 06-22-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowd&ProUD (Post 553334)
Crossed my mind earlier today that Kostas might not have even liked that he was drafted at #60.

I totally believe his agents were working the phones and would not have been worried if he had not been drafted. He would have been in somebody's camp. Would he have made their squad? Anybody's guess.

maddog07 06-22-2018 03:43 PM

Does getting drafted guarantee any money?
Posted via Mobile Device

OSU Flyer 06-22-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog07 (Post 553337)
Does getting drafted guarantee any money?
Posted via Mobile Device

only 1st round

Lifelong Flyer Fan 06-22-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowd&ProUD (Post 553334)
Crossed my mind earlier today that Kostas might not have even liked that he was drafted at #60.

Were the Bucks ready to sign him if he went undrafted? If so, wouldn't that have been preferable?

If the Bucks weren't planning on signing him, now that would be telling.

Video of Giannis and Kostas posted by Giannis after the selection. Seems pretty happy to me.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkUwUj6l...y=giannis_an34

Gazoo 06-22-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medford (Post 553313)
It may have been a big reason, but lets not act like if I changed my last night to Jordan I'd get drafted anytime soon. There are a ton of players who put up much better numbers, for much better teams, but many of those players don't have the length, athletic combo to succeed in the NBA at any point.


Odessa Junior College has 3 guys on the roster 6'11" or taller.


Now, I'm not saying any of the 3 have the length / athletic combo. I'm saying it ain't THAT hard to find length / athletic combo when you have the whole world to pick from, and you're only searching to 2 attributes.


If you want length / athletic / strong / can shoot / can avoid fouling once a minute, it gets much harder. If you think you can teach shooting and defense to KA but can't compensate for someone else's athletic ability who can shoot, I'd say KA is a perfectly good draft pick.


I'm not rooting against him (I'm indifferent), but he's got a long way to go.

OSU Flyer 06-22-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 553343)
Odessa Junior College has 3 guys on the roster 6'11" or taller.


Now, I'm not saying any of the 3 have the length / athletic combo. I'm saying it ain't THAT hard to find length / athletic combo when you have the whole world to pick from, and you're only searching to 2 attributes.


If you want length / athletic / strong / can shoot / can avoid fouling once a minute, it gets much harder. If you think you can teach shooting and defense to KA but can't compensate for someone else's athletic ability who can shoot, I'd say KA is a perfectly good draft pick.


I'm not rooting against him (I'm indifferent), but he's got a long way to go.

Disagree that finding that height and athleticism isn't that hard. That's why Kostas was drafted

the vast, vast majority of big guys have Matt Cooper or worse athleticism

Flyer 86 06-23-2018 11:07 AM

There are players who are solid upon arriving like Ayton and Bagley and some others. Then there are others who have greater or higher ceiling, and aren't super solid or near that at draft time.

I think Kostas falls into that high ceiling , just like the Knicks Knox picks. (Say that 5 times fast!). The issue is how quickly and can he reach into the higher stratosphere.

He also has the advantage of playing pickup with NBA'ers with his brother the last 2 to 3 years in the offseason. Personally , I think it's 50-50 he makea a contrib in the next 2 to 3 years to a team.

With length and his pedigree, his position is the only one (6 9" and taller big) where those things matter. Most guards have to "earn their way" - brother or not.

Lowd&ProUD 06-23-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 (Post 553361)
Personally , I think it's 50-50 he makea a contrib in the next 2 to 3 years to a team.

I'm thinking 50/50 that he makes a team in 2-3 years.

I'll say longer than 2 years with worse odds at actually contributing. (I'll define contributing as being in the rotation most every night he's healthy.)

I have to say that I'm rooting for him a little harder after hearing he was participating at one of our camps recently.

MNFats 06-23-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkoooo (Post 553310)
Poppycock. Those traits are rationalizations for drafting him, not why he was drafted. He was drafted because of his name. Period.

Because with millions of dollars at stake, NBA teams love to waste draft picks on players they know aren't any good because of his name...

He has physical tools that are rare. Is it a family trait? It is. But he has it. now he just has to learn to play basketball - and the Mavs think they can teach him. If they didn't, they would not have drafted him. Period.

longtimefan 06-23-2018 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 553370)
Because with millions of dollars at stake, NBA teams love to waste draft picks on players they know aren't any good because of his name...

He has physical tools that are rare. Is it a family trait? It is. But he has it. now he just has to learn to play basketball - and the Mavs think they can teach him. If they didn't, they would not have drafted him. Period.


Sure, he has some physical tools, but so do a lot of players around the world. Do you really think he would have been drafted if he had a different last name? I doubt it. The guy averaged 5 points a game off the bench for UD. They probably wouldn't even know who he was if he had a different last name. He has some physical tools, some potential, and a great last name.

Kevinob15 06-23-2018 10:53 PM

Everybody treats the last name as a negative thing. If I’m an nba team I look heavily into this as you’re always wanting to know how a player is going to develop physically. With Kostas you already have insight into what his genetics will give him the potential to develop into so yes I do draft this kid because of his name in a positive way because there is already a prediction advantage.
Posted via Mobile Device

BeckysTXA 06-23-2018 11:17 PM

Cuban can invest in KA in hopes he has what Giannis has. But I think one important point is never factored into the equation. One brother has what it takes to play in the NBA. What’s forgotten is another brother did not. I don’t consider two games an NBA success story.

Time will tell if KA can develop or not. He is not ready today.

San Diego Flyer 06-24-2018 10:21 AM

I predicted the Mavs would take Kostas. They have done this before. And one reason it made sense is because they also drafted Barry Larkin, oops, I mean Shane Larkin (with the help of Atlanta). Point is, in the insanely rich NBA names count. We shouldn't blame it on the offspring. His career NBA stats mirror what KA did at Dayton last season. Go Figure.

And acutally there is a 5 minute highlight of Kostas' best shots of the season, and even though it might have been against the Washington Generals it is impressive to see his speed down the court and his contorted finishes like a rubber man. The draftors are armed with some clips that trump common sense if you're bending in that direction to start with.

I think Kostas will have the same opportunity Larkin had. It remains to be seen what he will do with it.

ud2 06-24-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 553381)
I predicted the Mavs would take Kostas. They have done this before. And one reason it made sense is because they also drafted Barry Larkin, oops, I mean Shane Larkin (with the help of Atlanta). Point is, in the insanely rich NBA names count. We shouldn't blame it on the offspring. His career NBA stats mirror what KA did at Dayton last season. Go Figure.

I think Kostas will have the same opportunity Larkin had. It remains to be seen what he will do with it.

Yeah, but Larkin was a first rounder with a guaranteed contract, the team had a lot more invested in him than they will invest in KA, thus Larkin got/will get more of a chance to prove himself than KA will.

bcross 06-24-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA (Post 553376)
Cuban can invest in KA in hopes he has what Giannis has. But I think one important point is never factored into the equation. One brother has what it takes to play in the NBA. What’s forgotten is another brother did not. I don’t consider two games an NBA success story.

Time will tell if KA can develop or not. He is not ready today.

Thanasis is also 4-5 inches shorter than his brothers.

San Diego Flyer 06-24-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 553390)
Yeah, but Larkin was a first rounder with a guaranteed contract, the team had a lot more invested in him than they will invest in KA, thus Larkin got/will get more of a chance to prove himself than KA will.

I'm not sure what your logic is. The Mavs were stuck with a horrible mid-first round pick AND with a guaranteed pile of money. It only took them one year to figure it out. Larkin has done nothing in 5 years with 5 teams including playing one year for Bastonia. Total bust to date.
He is about out of chances.

Furio 06-24-2018 04:15 PM

Shane Larkin has raked in 6 million dollars in 4 years in the NBA.
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-ce...cash-earnings/

Being a bust is one heck of a pile of cash in the NBA

San Diego Flyer 06-24-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furio (Post 553401)
Shane Larkin has raked in 6 million dollars in 4 years in the NBA.
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-ce...cash-earnings/

Being a bust is one heck of a pile of cash in the NBA

Well, that simply is a condemnation of all pro sports today. Tons of TV money is being sprinkled over marginally talented athletes for an obscene number of years that is, TADAA,
guaranteed.

The Larkin name has served him well. Kostas may reap the same, much to the chagrin of his detractors.

It's great work if you can find it.

ud2 06-25-2018 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 553399)
I'm not sure what your logic is. The Mavs were stuck with a horrible mid-first round pick AND with a guaranteed pile of money. It only took them one year to figure it out. Larkin has done nothing in 5 years with 5 teams including playing one year for Bastonia. Total bust to date.
He is about out of chances.

The point is that I think your example is not relevant. You are equating Larkin with KA. They are 2 completely different situations. The only similarity is having famous last names.

Larkin was a concensus mid-first round pick per the experts and the mock drafts, it was not a reach to draft Larkin in the mid-first round, he deserved to be a mid-first round pick: ACC POY, 2nd team All-American.

San Diego Flyer 06-25-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 553425)
You are equating Larkin with KA. They are 2 completely different situations. The only similarity is having famous last names.
.

Their celeb names are exactly my point. The experts were wrong on Larkin. During and after his initial contract he showed very little. His name carried him to 5 years. Maybe if his name was Shane Antetokounmpo he would get another 5. My point is names count for more than they should, whether it be the initial draft, contract, or extension. The name can buy time and money.

But it's also wrong to blame the kid. It's a sports phenomenon.

Lowd&ProUD 06-25-2018 10:42 AM

There are plenty of brothers and sons of star athletes that don't get drafted or placed on teams. They just don't hit everyone's radar like the ones that do.

You either have the goods or you don't. Kostas was arguably the most gifted athlete in this draft along with Lonnie Walker and Zhaire Smith.

Raw, yes. But he has things you can't "coach up".

Shane Larkin was a legitimate big-time stud in college. The success rate on mid first rounders turning into stars isn't terribly high. Donovan Mitchell is the exception, not the rule. Shane's potential achilles heel was always lack of size, not being over-hyped because of last name.

If the Mavs drafted Kostas because of his last name, I believe it was with an eye on luring Giannis in free agency down the road. And that would only make sense if they thought Kostas could be on the team at that time.

Canonball 06-25-2018 12:17 PM

I stand corrected. Good luck Kostas.

MNFats 06-25-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 553436)
Their celeb names are exactly my point. The experts were wrong on Larkin. During and after his initial contract he showed very little. His name carried him to 5 years. Maybe if his name was Shane Antetokounmpo he would get another 5. My point is names count for more than they should, whether it be the initial draft, contract, or extension. The name can buy time and money.

But it's also wrong to blame the kid. It's a sports phenomenon.

Shane Larkin didn't get 5 years in the league because his dad was a good shortstop 20 years ago. I suppose next your're going to tell me all of the ACC coaches voted him ACC player of the year as a Sophomore because they are all huge Reds fans.

Teams bring him in because they think he can play a role with them. It isn't more complicated than that.

Did Kostas get more attention going into college because of his last name? Absolutely.

Did Kostas get a combine invite because of his last name? Sure seems like it.

Did he get drafted because of his last name? No. Teams aren't in the business of wasting draft assets because they like a guys name. They knew they were drafting something you can't teach. They are hoping they can teach him the rest.

San Diego Flyer 06-25-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 553456)
Did he get drafted because of his last name? No. Teams aren't in the business of wasting draft assets because they like a guys name. They knew they were drafting something you can't teach. They are hoping they can teach him the rest.

That is total BS. The scales tipped his direction on the 60th and last pick solely because Donnie Nelson could look at films of Giannis Antetokounmpo when he entered the NBA at a tender age and dream of what could be with a non-guaranteed contract for his brother. Period. The name was the clincher at #60. Cuban is no dummy.

It's the sole reason no one was fighting over him for the first 59 picks.

CE80 06-25-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 553487)
That is total BS. The scales tipped his direction on the 60th and last pick solely because Donnie Nelson could look at films of Giannis Antetokounmpo when he entered the NBA at a tender age and dream of what could be with a non-guaranteed contract for his brother. Period. The name was the clincher at #60. Cuban is no dummy.

It's the sole reason no one was fighting over him for the first 59 picks.

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketba...giannis/451034

MNFats 06-25-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 553488)

And the last paragraph debunks SDF's theory. The whole thing only works if Kostas is on the team in 3 years.

Which, if he is, that's a steal at #60.

If he's not, then the whole theory is garbage.


Here is that paragraph:

"Of course, Giannis is not eligible to become a free agent until 2021, which casts some doubt on if Kostas will still be on the team by then (since second-round picks are not bound by rookie scale contracts like first-rounders are). However, the 20-year-old big has wild upside (not to mention wild physical attributes), so the Mavs have incentive to keep him around on multiple fronts."

San Diego Flyer 06-25-2018 06:43 PM

I think that writer ran out of catchy stories. Signing Kostas for three years so brothers can play together is lunacy.

MNFats 06-25-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 553508)
I think that writer ran out of catchy stories. Signing Kostas for three years so brothers can play together is lunacy.

Exactly - which is why the theory that they drafted him to get his brother down the road doesn't make sense.

The only way it does make sense is if he is on the team in 3 years - in which case - great pick at #60.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement System V2.6 By   Branden

     
 
Copyright 1996-2012 UDPride.com. All Rights Reserved.