UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   You Make the Call - Foul during Inbound play (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31049)

rollo 07-10-2017 09:08 AM

You Make the Call - Foul during Inbound play

With 2.7 seconds left in OT, both teams in the 1-and-1 and my UD Flyers leading tOSU 88-87, tOSU comes out of their last time-out and lines up for an inbound play that may or may not win the game.

UD comes out in a man-to-man defense but leaves inbounding Buckeye Cam Williams alone so they can have an extra defender -the Greek Geek - to chase the ball and defend a quick shot.

As the trail official, Joey DeMayo, hands tOSU's Williams the ball, Ja'Sean Tate rolls to the top of the key looking for the pass. Guarded tightly by an overly physical Trey Landers, Tate reverses his cut and Williams turns his attention to elsewhere....but can't find anyone open.

With a sold out Arena on its feet screaming lowdly for both teams, it's darn near impossible to hear anything on the court. Confusion abound, and with the inbound count at 1.....2......3......forward Micah Potter attempts to free up Tate by stepping sideways into the path of Landers. With no time-outs left, Williams desperately passes the ball toward Tate, who catches the ball just inside the 3-point line and immediately turns to shoot the potential game winning shot as Landers, leading with his inside shoulder, runs into and falls over the extended knee of Potter. As center official Chad Barlow blows his whistle and raises his right fist - signaling a foul - Tate, with 1.5 seconds left, gets off a shot.

With the ball now in the air and all eyes following it, the Greek Geek jumps above the rim and swats the shot away. Lead official DJ Carstensen, unable to hear the first whistle due to the noise levels, blows his whistle and signals 'goal-tending'. DeMayo, hearing both whistles and anticipating a defensive foul on Landers, turns to the scorer's table and signals the shot to count!....with UD fans going ballistic over DeMayo's call and tOSU fans doing the same, UD head coach Anthony Grant is seen jumping up and down pointing toward Landers, who is on the ground repeatedly pointing at Barlow as if to say 'what about him? what about me?'.

With >16,000 cheers and boos reigning down on the officiating crew from fans of both teams, DeMayo calls for a mid-court huddle to figure out WTF just happened begs his partners to breakdown what just happened so that he, the great Joey DeMayo, can make the call!

Or, in this case, I think it would be easier to put it to a vote.

Good luck.

King Rollo...OUT!

ClaytonFlyerFan 07-10-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 510682)
With >16,000 cheers and boos reigning down on the officiating crew !

So only 24 Buckeye fans are in attendance?

rollo 07-10-2017 09:23 AM

a) and e) are the same...and I can't edit voting options to delete one...so a vote for a) or e) will be combined. My bad. :eek:

Gazoo 07-10-2017 09:33 AM

It's almost impossible to make up this scenario with tOSU. They don't have enough players committed to the team to fill out all the hypothetical.

Were any of those guys walkons with made-up names?

cj 07-10-2017 09:44 AM

I voted c so assume it is wrong.

UDGutter2 07-10-2017 10:20 AM

I want to vote for a and e.

rollo 07-10-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 (Post 510690)
I want to vote for a and e.

You'll need 2 separate IDs from NY or California. Or a couple death certificates from Vermont or Massachusetts.

Figgie123 07-10-2017 12:36 PM

Let's see ...

1. OSU agrees to play UD
2. OSU agrees to play at UD Arena
3. Joey DeMayo is the deciding referree to make the right call.

These YMtC's are getting further and further from reality as we go...

rollo 07-10-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figgie123 (Post 510710)
Let's see ...

1. OSU agrees to play UD
2. OSU agrees to play at UD Arena
3. Joey DeMayo is the deciding referree to make the right call.

These YMtC's are getting further and further from reality as we go...

Sir Figgie, if you've been following the 2017 YMtC scenarios, you'd recall that this is an NCAA S16 game in Atlanta...back to the drawing board for you!

Would you still like a participation trophy?

shocka43 07-10-2017 02:51 PM

Team with ball called for the foul...no ft's.

Figgie123 07-10-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 510682)
Would you still like a participation trophy?

Of course! :)

rollo 07-10-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figgie123 (Post 510726)
Of course! :)

Enjoy. You earned it!! :bs:

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t5...MjQzOA%3D%3D.2

rollo 07-10-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 510683)
So only 24 Buckeye fans are in attendance?

Yeah, and the other 108,376 tOSU fans are tailgating before the Spring FB game.

TXFlyerFan 07-10-2017 07:03 PM

Chose option D

sheg 07-10-2017 08:26 PM

Shot simultaneous to the foul - goaltending call stands. Team-control foul - no FTs, UD ball out of bounds.

Gonna need a miracle.

IndianaFlyer 07-12-2017 08:17 AM

I go with D.
Posted via Mobile Device

rollo 07-13-2017 09:44 AM

Even knowledgeable basketball fans are often confused with 'player-control' fouls and whether or not FTs are warranted. Everyone knows a 'charge' is an offensive player-control foul and no FTs are awarded when called, but very few understand that 'player-control' fouls can be called on non-ball handlers, too.

In this case, with team control of the ball, an illegal pick is set. This illegal pick is considered a 'player-control' foul, meaning no FTs and UD's ball on the sideline! The ref's mechanic for a charge is the hand-behind-the-head followed by a forward fist-punch. The mechanic for the illegal pick/player-control foul is just the forward fist-punch.

So if you were in the minority to pick 'D' - Player control foul on tOSU, no FTs, UD ball on sideline - you earned a Golden Whistle...not to be confused with a golden bikini!

See what I mean! :unsure:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...4c51214b37.jpg http://media.istockphoto.com/photos/...vNLoz4jb8vOuY=

Figgie123 07-13-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 510953)
So if you were in the minority to pick 'D' - Player control foul on tOSU, no FTs, UD ball on sideline - you earned a Golden Whistle...

Wait? 45% chose 'D', the highest percentage of any choice, and yet, that's the "minority"?

I need to visit remedial Math class at University of Rollo.

rollo 07-13-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figgie123 (Post 510970)
Wait? 45% chose 'D', the highest percentage of any choice, and yet, that's the "minority"?

10 out of 22 is less than 50%....thus, the correct answer was outnumbered by the wrong answers.

Class dismissed...except for you Sir Figgie...now put on the Royal cap and go sit in the corner...

https://68.media.tumblr.com/08c3a41f...oo5yo1_500.jpg

UDGutter2 07-13-2017 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figgie123 (Post 510970)

It would be a plurality.

rollo 07-13-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 (Post 510989)
It would be a plurality.

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-conten...y_approves.gif

Now....off with his head! :eek: