UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   McKinley Wright (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31478)

Don 11-20-2017 11:13 PM

McKinley Wright

Classmate who lives in Boulder called my attention to the splash McKinley Wright is making at Colorado. He emerged the last two games against Drake and Mercer
21 pts 9 assists 1 turnover
11 pts 7 assists 1 turnover
5 game avg 30 minutes

Alas....what might have been

MNFats 11-21-2017 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don (Post 521470)
Classmate who lives in Boulder called my attention to the splash McKinley Wright is making at Colorado. He emerged the last two games against Drake and Mercer
21 pts 9 assists 1 turnover
11 pts 7 assists 1 turnover
5 game avg 30 minutes

Alas....what might have been

Can't be true. I was told by several people on this board that Crutcher was as good or better.

I know I'm biased because I live in MN. And I think Crutch can be a fine player for us, but I think Wright will be special.

jack72 11-21-2017 09:35 AM

Wright was and is special. Now can we move on from this deserter.

MNFats 11-21-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 521481)
Wright was and is special. Now can we move on from this deserter.

Deserter - I know - he's the worst! I mean can you imagine a PG committing to a school, having a great senior year, using a coaching change to reopen his commitment to see if there are new offers out there, and then leaving for a new school?

Dayton would never take a kid like that...except for Crutcher.

I get we all love our Flyers, but I love when Wright does it he's a deserter and when Crutcher does it he is "just doing what's best for his future"

Some of us just like basketball and want to talk basketball (not always Flyers). That might mean talking about a former commit. If you don't want to talk about him - that's fine. You are free to not click into this thread.

Flyers98 11-21-2017 10:56 AM

I don't dislike the kid or fault him for his decision but as a Flyer Fan who is not from Minnesota I have absolutely no investment in him and really don't understand the desire to discuss him on this board. I get that people might just like to talk basketball and not always the Flyers. If only there was a board somewhere that people who have a reason to discuss McKinley Wright could go to discuss his play, potential and production for the Colorado Buffaloes.

Sea Bass 11-21-2017 11:01 AM

Thought he would be a good player and wish him well.

Marysville Flyer 11-21-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers98 (Post 521502)
I don't dislike the kid or fault him for his decision but as a Flyer Fan who is not from Minnesota I have absolutely no investment in him and really don't understand the desire to discuss him on this board. I get that people might just like to talk basketball and not always the Flyers. If only there was a board somewhere that people who have a reason to discuss McKinley Wright could go to discuss his play, potential and production for the Colorado Buffaloes.

I agree - if only.

What makes it worse is his uncle's (brother's, mom's) insistence on chastening anyone who isn't as interested in following his every shot or worse yet uses any negative term to describe the traitor er I mean young man.

I'm from MN and still couldn't care less how he does.

BTW - how is Trent Meachum doing lately? Is he playing ball overseas? And was he too 'proven' to be so much better than Jalen after only 4 games too?

Posted via Mobile Device

Flyer 86 11-21-2017 11:17 AM

Freshen my memory for me. He would have been last year recruit(frosh) or this year?

who else did we lose in the Coach transition/ Naz Carter?

anyone else?

longtimefan 11-21-2017 11:24 AM

So I guess we can talk about players on this board who never played for UD but discussions about coaches who actually coached at UD are moved to the Off-Topic forum. Maybe whoever moved that one will move this one too.

Flyer 86 11-21-2017 11:29 AM

****. Kid is shooting at 54%

4.2 boards a game, 4 and 1/2 assists. Racking up the stats.

Scored 21 points, twice.

ud2 11-21-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 (Post 521506)
Freshen my memory for me. He would have been last year recruit(frosh) or this year?

who else did we lose in the Coach transition/ Naz Carter?

anyone else?

MW would have been a true freshman this year at UD...MW and Naz, now at Washington, are the only ones we lost that I remember...they were replaced by Crutch and Toppin IINM.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...adl1S4kXPeYPJ/:

New Dayton coach Anthony Grant kept two signed recruits in the fold: Jordan Davis and Jordan Pierce. Wright and Nahziah Carter asked for their release.

NJFlyr71 11-21-2017 12:12 PM

Different Subject - Same Story

Following the exploits of MW is fine to start the season ... maybe. Nice to know the kid is doing well so far.

Then just like the discussion with Archie and BG .... over and done with.

I would be shocked to hear/see that he (MW) is following the UD team exploits.

Wish him luck ... now we return you to our regular programming ........ The UD Flyers!

MNFats 11-21-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer (Post 521504)
I agree - if only.

What makes it worse is his uncle's (brother's, mom's) insistence on chastening anyone who isn't as interested in following his every shot or worse yet uses any negative term to describe the traitor er I mean young man.

Posted via Mobile Device

I only chastise two types of people:

1.) People who have a huge problem with MW for his actions and call him names, but have no issue with Crutcher doing the same thing just because we benefited from it. Hypocrites. I have no problem with either of them. I'm very happy to have Jalen on the team and I look forward to see what he develops to be.

2.) People who blame other people because they are unable to resist clicking into a thread that they claim to not care about. It's my fault you don't want to talk about MW and STILL clicked into a thread called "McKinley Wright"?

It really has nothing to do with me being from MN. I think MW is a difference maker and we had him. Then he got away. Just because you don't like what he did, doesn't mean other people on this board can't talk about it.

Yes - I thought it was fun that a local kid was going to UD. But my interest in following his career has more to do with his talent and what could have been.

I'm not telling you that you NEED to talk about it. So why are you telling me that I can't talk about it?

priceg75 11-21-2017 01:06 PM

Have you ever used the internet before? Because your demeanor suggests you haven't.

And of course it had everything to do with him being from Minnesota. Who was that posting all about his run in the Minnesota state playoffs last year?

Talk about it all you want. But don't expect us to care.

MNFats 11-21-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priceg75 (Post 521531)
Have you ever used the internet before? Because your demeanor suggests you haven't.

And of course it had everything to do with him being from Minnesota. Who was that posting all about his run in the Minnesota state playoffs last year?

Talk about it all you want. But don't expect us to care.

I wasn't the only one posting about his performance. Are they all from MN too? Or are they Flyer fans interested in a recruit leading his team to the State Championship game? I also took interest in him because, in my opinion, he was our best recruit.

And if you don't care - why are you still in this thread? Doesn't make sense to me.

Marysville Flyer 11-21-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 521530)
I only chastise two types of people:

1.) People who have a huge problem with MW for his actions and call him names, but have no issue with Crutcher doing the same thing just because we benefited from it. Hypocrites. I have no problem with either of them. I'm very happy to have Jalen on the team and I look forward to see what he develops to be.

2.) People who blame other people because they are unable to resist clicking into a thread that they claim to not care about. It's my fault you don't want to talk about MW and STILL clicked into a thread called "McKinley Wright"?

It really has nothing to do with me being from MN. I think MW is a difference maker and we had him. Then he got away. Just because you don't like what he did, doesn't mean other people on this board can't talk about it.

Yes - I thought it was fun that a local kid was going to UD. But my interest in following his career has more to do with his talent and what could have been.

I'm not telling you that you NEED to talk about it. So why are you telling me that I can't talk about it?

The problem is you are telling us what we can talk about. Someone clicks on a thread about MW and offers their opinions about MW which is who the thread is about and you get your panties in a bunch and try and dictate what people can say about MW on a thread about MW.

Then you wanna tell those same people to stop telling you how to post all the while you are telling them how they should feel and post about MW.

Sounds a lot like hypocrisy to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

MNFats 11-21-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer (Post 521537)
The problem is you are telling us what we can talk about. Someone clicks on a thread about MW and offers their opinions about MW which is who the thread is about and you get your panties in a bunch and try and dictate what people can say about MW on a thread about MW.

Then you wanna tell those same people to stop telling you how to post all the while you are telling them how they should feel and post about MW.

Sounds a lot like hypocrisy to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

All I'm saying is: If you don't want to talk about MW - great - then don't talk about him. If you do want to talk about him - be objective and don't be petty.

Marysville Flyer 11-21-2017 02:55 PM

I wish MW well and am probably in the camp that I think transfer restrictions should be lessened when coaching and other major changes occur at a university. I have that privilege as an employee not sure why students can be penalized so much just because their paycheck is a scholarship.

This thread got me to thinking about how good a team could be put together with players who at least verbally committed to UD but never suited up for even a practice. I have no idea if there are 5 names worth mentioning or 100.

Only names I could think of were:
LeDonte Henton aka buckets
Roger Brown
Alex Carmona
Couldn't remember if Dwight Anderson ever committed or it was just wishful thinking

Wouldn't put Percy Gibson on the list - he was highly touted but don't remember him ever doing that much at K-State

Posted via Mobile Device

UD62 11-21-2017 03:14 PM

Roger was in a class by himself. UD didn't handle that well at all. But it was another era. Roger, Bill Chmielewski, Garry Roggenburk, and the Hatton brothers, among others would have had a real shot at a NC.

pmcmullen 11-21-2017 03:38 PM

Who cares. Move on.

IndianaFlyer 11-21-2017 04:43 PM

MW chose not to be a Flyer, he deserves no press on a Flyer board. Really not that difficult a concept. It is the same reason stories about former coaches need to be in off topic.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChrisInVenice 11-22-2017 01:33 AM

Mn- thanks for posting. Whiners go away - thread subject obvious. Moving AM thread was stupid ... same logic you should move a flyer in the NBA thread unless it really is all about sour grapes.

Jeff 11-22-2017 09:23 AM

Drake & Mercer?

FlyerBob 11-22-2017 09:29 AM

I’m not interested in keeping up with McKinley. He chose not to attend here. Not sour grapes- just not interested. At all..... I understand I have option not to read this thread but just sayin.

Smitty10 11-22-2017 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer (Post 521558)
MW chose not to be a Flyer, he deserves no press on a Flyer board. Really not that difficult a concept. It is the same reason stories about former coaches need to be in off topic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Donoher and Blackburn included? Of course not, just the ones that hurt your feelings by leaving for another school

maddog07 11-22-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer (Post 521548)
I wish MW well and am probably in the camp that I think transfer restrictions should be lessened when coaching and other major changes occur at a university. I have that privilege as an employee not sure why students can be penalized so much just because their paycheck is a scholarship.

This thread got me to thinking about how good a team could be put together with players who at least verbally committed to UD but never suited up for even a practice. I have no idea if there are 5 names worth mentioning or 100.

Only names I could think of were:
LeDonte Henton aka buckets
Roger Brown
Alex Carmona
Couldn't remember if Dwight Anderson ever committed or it was just wishful thinking

Wouldn't put Percy Gibson on the list - he was highly touted but don't remember him ever doing that much at K-State

Posted via Mobile Device

Gibson went to Iowa State, he stunk. Later transferred to Oakland. Fortunate we lost him.
Posted via Mobile Device

JimBo 11-22-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer (Post 521558)
Posted via Mobile Device

So we can't talk about Don Donoher any longer either?

What's funny is that BG bashing has been permitted in this forum since the day he left, but the very first thread that contained some gloating about Miller's first loss immediately gets moved to the off topic forum.

I have no problem with any former coaches being discussed here. They all played a big part in this program's history. I also do not see the big deal with discussing players who were at one time UD commitments. What's the big deal? Don't like it, ignore the thread.

CE80 11-22-2017 11:15 AM

What would Ray Harper say about this thread?

IndianaFlyer 11-22-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBo (Post 521616)
So we can't talk about Don Donoher any longer either?

What's funny is that BG bashing has been permitted in this forum since the day he left, but the very first thread that contained some gloating about Miller's first loss immediately gets moved to the off topic forum.

I have no problem with any former coaches being discussed here. They all played a big part in this program's history. I also do not see the big deal with discussing players who were at one time UD commitments. What's the big deal? Don't like it, ignore the thread.

Not a matter of not liking it, just voicing my opinion that I don't think he deserves it.

Difference is Donoher is still a part of the Flyer family, just as are players who committed and stayed a part of this program.

San Diego Flyer 11-22-2017 01:04 PM

I think McKinley Wright's early success is further reinforcement that really good players are actually committing to Dayton, not simply "being in the mix" and going somewhere else. It's nice to know.

He did not stay with us simply because of a coaching change. Meh.

Movin' on with or without this thread.

redbengal 11-22-2017 02:25 PM

Comparing the school he left vs the school he’s now attending is what gives me a headache. Maybe it’s my red and blue specs talking but I believe Dayton is going to fare better than Colorado over his four (or three if he’s that special) years there. Probably would have received better offers if the UD coaching change hadn’t happened as late as it did. I wish we’d hear more stories about kids who (understandably) reopen their commitments in situations like this but then realize their initial choice is still the best one.

To me it seems he ultimately may have made his decision based on the teams he’d be playing AGAINST twice a week vs the team he’d be playing FOR twice a week. Not to mention the increased exposure that comes with playing in the Pac-12.

FORTFLYERFAN 11-22-2017 03:01 PM

I am glad Don posted. I thought it was interesting. Seldom think to look up lost recruits current status. Not sure why some people got so uptight about it.

While I am here, has anyone heard anything about the Gem City Jam?

LI Flyer 11-22-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 521618)
What would Ray Harper say about this thread?

Ray would say keep the thread and that McKinley is transferring to my school next year.

BRob2Perryman3 11-23-2017 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan (Post 521507)
So I guess we can talk about players on this board who never played for UD but discussions about coaches who actually coached at UD are moved to the Off-Topic forum. Maybe whoever moved that one will move this one too.

Don't forget the time a moderator CLOSED a thread FOR OUR STARTING POINT GUARD JOHN CROSBY.

BRob2Perryman3 03-10-2018 09:02 AM

McKinley Wright threw an alley-oop dunk to a teammate in the ASU game a few days ago up around 10 with like 2 seconds on the clock. Sparked some words and a shove or two after the buzzer.

Colorado can have him. Pure disrespect.

San Diego Flyer 03-10-2018 01:35 PM

I would make too much out of it. I'm pretty sure ASU has had it's in-your-face moments against the Buffs. It's about a 50-50 game when those two play, and emotions run high.

But yeh, I wouldn't want us doing that.

Flyer2 03-10-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 542792)
McKinley Wright threw an alley-oop dunk to a teammate in the ASU game a few days ago up around 10 with like 2 seconds on the clock. Sparked some words and a shove or two after the buzzer.

Colorado can have him. Pure disrespect.

Wow....... I don’t care because whatever he does doesn’t affect the Flyers.