UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   UDPride Articles (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What Do We Know About Roy Marble, Jr. and Kyle Vinales? (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9117)

Swampy Meadows 03-03-2009 11:35 PM

What Do We Know About Roy Marble, Jr. and Kyle Vinales?

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) –- It’s time take a break from the “Xavier Week Love Fest” and hit you with another installment of “What Do We Know About…” the semi-regular “From the Swamp” feature on UD recruiting targets. Today’s subjects are two Class of 2010 prospects: Roy Marble, Jr., a 6’5” 180 lb. SF from Southfield-Lathrup (MI) HS and 6’1” 165 lb. Kyle Vinales, a high scoring SG who plays for North Farmington (MI) HS. As fate would have it, Lathrup and North Farmington –- both members of the Oakland Athletic Association -- were scheduled to play each other tonight, allowing a rare double-dip of potential Flyers and “FTS” was there.

If the name “Roy Marble” sounds vaguely familiar it is because Roy Jr.’s dad Roy, Sr. was a Mickey D’s All-American from Flint, MI and played collegiately as an Iowa Hawkeye.

One thing we do know about young Mr. Marble (thanks to FlyerHoops.net) is that he was in attendance for the Flyers’ victory vs. Temple over the weekend, which can only be viewed as a good thing.

The last time the Raiders and the Chargers met, the contest featured a shoot-out between Vinales (32 points) and Marble (31 points), eventually won by Lathrup, 50-49.

Linky goodness to the previous game summary, courtesy of the Observer and Eccentric website:

http://www.hometownlife.com/apps/pbc...=2009902010476

North Farmington HS is a straight shot westward, roughly 8 miles on 13 Mile Road from my house. It’s an older HS with a pretty dated gym but the North fans filled their side, as it was Senior Night. The Swampettes attended Birmingham Groves which is also in the OAA and I had forgotten how physical the games can be. There was a play where literally all 10 guys were on the floor going after a loose ball –- I’ve never seen anything like it. North Farmington ended up prevailing in a tightly contested affair 60-57.

Kyle scored 29 points on 7-21 shooting; hit 11-14 FTs and nailed 3 shots from long range He has a pretty good handle, altho he did get called for shuffling his feet on 2 consecutive possessions. The Raider offense works the ball around the perimeter and eventually to him. He is the offense.

Meanwhile, Roy had 22 in a losing cause on 6-16 shooting; he only made 9-18 freebies; hit one 3 pointer; snared 5 rebounds; had 2 assists and a steal. Roy is the tallest guy on the roster and in the 4th quarter with the game on the line he faced a constant double team.

Neither guy ever came out of the game.

Afterwards, I talked to Lathrup coach Mike Avery. He envisions Roy as a 2 or a 3 in college, altho they have played him some at the point this year. Coach Avery said that Roy has the highest basketball IQ out there, is very coachable and is a definite D-1 prospect. I observed that Roy did most of the talking when the team huddled during time outs. When I was sitting in the stands, I noticed that the Lathrup fans referred to him as “Devin” whenever he made a play. One of the parents turned out to be Roy’s mom and she told me that Devin is his middle name.

Roy said that he sees himself as a 2 or a 3 like Coach Avery does. He is hearing from Providence, Iowa (naturally), Michigan, Duquesne, some MAC schools and, of course, Dayton, but he doesn’t have any offers -- yet. When asked what he needs to work on, Marble said matter-of-factly “free throw shooting, obviously.” Roy said he really enjoyed his trip down to see the Temple game, everything was great and he liked it a lot…so much so that he was wearing a Dayton shirt after the game. Roy will be running with The Family AAU program again during the summer and has no timetable on when he will make a decision.

Coach Tom Negoshian of Farmington North is an old friend of Coach Gregory’s and actually does the color commentary on radio for Oakland University, BG’s alma mater. He also knows UD Assistant Coach Borovich from his days at OU, as well. He said that the main thing Kyle needs to work on is “getting stronger and getting qualified” as he has not yet taken the SAT. North has run Kyle at the PG position a lot because that’s where he will ultimately end up playing in college. Coach Tom said that Kyle is coachable and loves to win and that Cleveland State is after him and other A-10 schools are starting to take notice, as well.

Kyle told me that he had a chance to visit UD over the summer with his AAU team, the Detroit Fire and got to run in an open gym with the UD players. He will definitely be a 1 at the next level in his estimation. The schools he is hearing from the most are Central Michigan, Oakland and Duquesne and UD called him recently over mid-winter break, as well, but he doesn’t hold any offers yet. When asked what he needs to work on he said “my shot” altho one has to like Kyle’s 11-14 performance at the charity stripe.

Marble and Vinales are the kind of players who have the potential to “blow up” over the summer during the AAU season and the University Dayton is already top-of-mind with both of them.

Stay tuned.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com