UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   From Tennessee Tech's Coach (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31551)

San Diego Flyer 12-07-2017 10:04 AM

From Tennessee Tech's Coach

http://www.ttusports.com/sports/mbkb...20171206z8aj86

"We did some good things," head coach Steve Payne said. "It's a tough place to play and I don't think we played very well. At the same time, we had our chances. In the first half, offensively, we acted like we had never seen a zone, but it's hard to simulate their length and athleticism ..........."

Good stuff.

UACFlyer 12-07-2017 11:12 AM

Zone

"We acted like we'd never seen a zone". That's the best argument for a zone defense I can think of. It is exactly what UConn's coach said after losing to Syracuse the other day.

SU plays zone...."good" zone. Everyone knows that. UConn practiced for SU's zone, of course, and was "prepared" for it. But, for a half UConn played as if they'd never seen a zone. To me that's testament to the effectiveness of playing zone...it takes a half to adjust no matter how well prepared you think you are.

I think a good strategy if you have the right personel is to alternate between zone and man-to-man during the game. Perhaps the Flyers do that occasionally.

Widget 12-07-2017 11:28 AM

TT shot well from three against the zone. That's one of the drawbacks, but overall I think it was very effective. Never understood coaches that essentially would say "we lost, but at least we lost playing man-to-man defense."

San Diego Flyer 12-07-2017 12:39 PM

The skill set for M2M and Zone are very similar. If a player struggles at one, he likely sucks at the other as well, and vicy versy. Enter stage right, Kyle Davis. Play any defense you want and he will make any coach look like a defensive genius.

SeasonTicketFan 12-07-2017 01:34 PM

I've seen more zone this year from UD than I probably saw during every UD game I have ever seen combined.

I am not a fan of zone as a primary defense. I like it as a way to cross up a team for a short stretch. However...

Kostas' size makes this zone work better. His length has bothered a lot of team's defensively. That is why it is critical to keep him out of foul trouble. It has also made it much more effective.

The zone still has some weaknesses, offensive rebounding and 3 point shot percentage. Those two kept TT in the game in the first half and some of the second half last night.

In a man to man, Kostas is too prone to reach, not fight through pick's properly etc. This zone is helping hide his weaknesses and leverage his length; (long reach and jump).

We've complained a lot about the offense under Anthony, but I am impressed that he has made this zone work somehow so far. Anthony deserves credit for that. Maybe the foul troubles and injuries forced him to accept zone more. I think BG and AM would have been stubborn and continued to have their man to man burned. Playing more man to man might be better for the long run, but I never saw the defense improve in AM's first two years. Only, after he put the right personnel on the court did the defense improve.

Flyer 86 12-07-2017 04:58 PM

Kostas size and wingspan absolutely makes the zone work for us.

As well as length of guys like Crutcher and DD, smarts and strength of Trey and Jordan Davis, and capable rebounding of Cunningham.

gonna see a good amount of it. Esp against good outside shooting teams.

ud2 12-07-2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Widget (Post 523852)
Never understood coaches that essentially would say "we lost, but at least we lost playing man-to-man defense."

I never understood that either. The objective is to try to win the game. If M2M is not working during any given game, then try something else.

Full court press, 3/4 court trap or 1/2 court trap, 2-3 zone, 1-3-1, box and one, 3-2, 2-1-2. Try anything to get the win.

Jeff 12-07-2017 06:00 PM

Did CAG run zone at VCU or Bama? Perhaps he's just adjusting to his team.

San Diego Flyer 12-07-2017 06:01 PM

I understand ud2, but you have to keep the game simple for 90% of the kids. The other 10% nothing helps.

With that many zone options in the game plan, guaranteed they will give up dunks and rebounds. Best approach is to pick a couple and perfect them.

Whacker 12-08-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan (Post 523871)
In a man to man, Kostas is too prone to reach, not fight through pick's properly etc. This zone is helping hide his weaknesses and leverage his length; (long reach and jump).

Not to mention Flyer guards struggle to contain dribble penetration in m2m further exacerbating the fouling tendencies.

Beatty Town Coach 12-08-2017 09:52 AM

UD2, you forgot the "Triangle and two". For which I never see the Triangle and 2, or the Box and 1, as the same as other zone sets; as they serve a much a different purpose.

San Diego is right, you definitely have to watch the cheap easy baskets and the otherwise easy rebounds; but I do think If a team gets good at one or two regular zone sets, that they can make game by game adjustments per the offensive talent of the opponent.

I'm happy to see Coach Grant making the zone a Flyers staple again.

hawkoooo 12-08-2017 10:47 AM

I think AG learned a lot from that second half comeback vs Miss St. We can really frustrate teams with the zone and a game plan of "let em' jack up deep 3s" is going to work against most teams most of the time. Yes good shooting teams will hurt you at times, but they are not going to make them all game. Eventually they will go cold and you can get multiple stops in a row.

I'm not sure if this will be kept up over AG's tenure, but it is quite clear that going forward the zone and our length (especially when you get X back) is going to keep us in games.

Flyer 86 12-08-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whacker (Post 524003)
Not to mention Flyer guards struggle to contain dribble penetration in m2m further exacerbating the fouling tendencies.

ThIS!

T-Bone 84 12-09-2017 10:20 AM

BTC, I remember Donoher throwing some 3-2 zone in the mix in the late ‘70s, when he had 2 post players on the court with 3 wing players. He’d keep guys like Giddings, Ross, Montague, & Kanieski defending the low block from either side of the lane, have Zimmerman, Lee, Doug Harris, et al defend the wings, and have Paxson (with his length) handle the point. It gave teams with traditional offenses and smaller PGs fits for a few trips down the court, and then as soon as the opponent figured it out, BAM, Donoher would switch back to M2M. He used it just enough to keep the opponent on its heels. Strategery! :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Bill202 12-09-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 (Post 524138)
BTC, I remember Donoher throwing some 3-2 zone in the mix in the late ‘70s, when he had 2 post players on the court with 3 wing players. He’d keep guys like Giddings, Ross, Montague, & Kanieski defending the low block from either side of the lane, have Zimmerman, Lee, Doug Harris, et al defend the wings, and have Paxson (with his length) handle the point. It gave teams with traditional offenses and smaller PGs fits for a few trips down the court, and then as soon as the opponent figured it out, BAM, Donoher would switch back to M2M. He used it just enough to keep the opponent on its heels. Strategery! :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Strategery & having more than 1 tool in the box. I like having options to switch momentum. And I'll take a W with any defense. ;)

Flyer 86 12-09-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 523828)
http://www.ttusports.com/sports/mbkb...20171206z8aj86

"We did some good things," head coach Steve Payne said. "It's a tough place to play and I don't think we played very well. At the same time, we had our chances. In the first half, offensively, we acted like we had never seen a zone, but it's hard to simulate their length and athleticism ..........."

Good stuff.

"i don't think we played very well". This team was putting 94 plus points on opponents. Some of that was our length, agressiveness and us. Much of that was also THEM.

This zone.... is a very good thing. I like how AG is mixing it up.