UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Time for a contract extension? (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34236)

flyerman 03-26-2020 12:19 PM

Time for a contract extension?

Is it to soon for UD to offer a raise and contract extension? While NCAA Tournament wins and a deep run hasn't happened yet, I believe that Coach Grant has checked a lot of boxes on being our long term coach and needs to see UD extend his contract. Coach Grant has shown he can recruit, set high standards, instill a great BB culture, develop players, get player buy-in, coach effective Offense and Defense, make in game adjustments, raise the programs profile, and represent the University and the program well.

His reported pay is well below what Top 25 coaches make and the last report I could find had him around 80th as compared to other programs. While we all believe he is happy here, when other programs come calling offering double or triple his present salary he may look if his success here is not being rewarded.

This could already be in the works but it would be nice to hear that the Coach that brought the program back to national prominence it being rewarded and locked into a long term deal. I dont believe this year is a fluke and Coach Grant will find more Jalens and an occassional Obi and the role players to continue to be a Top 25 Team.
Thoughts?

Alberto Strasse 03-26-2020 12:24 PM

In

Neil I trust.

John C. 03-26-2020 12:25 PM

I feel very confident that Neil has been talking extension for some time. The guy is smart. He is always a step ahead of the rest of us. I see a contract that automatically rolls over so Grant always has 4 more years.

Medford 03-26-2020 12:26 PM

If the past is any indicator of the present, then Neil has already approached CAG about an extension. Perhaps, similar to Archie, they've already agreed to the framework but were waiting until after the season to seal the deal...then Covid-19 happened. If I was betting, I think we'll see an announcement in the next month or 2 about a contract extension/raise.

bcross 03-26-2020 01:58 PM

I mentioned this earlier in the year, but Grant's starting salary was over 3x more than Archie's starting salary. Most of the upgrades Archie received in year 3 were likely already built into Grant's contract. Different situations when hiring an assistant coach with no head coaching experience versus a guy who has been a head coach at two different programs.

With that being said, it would not shock me it all if they reworked the deal after this season.

Columbia Blue 03-26-2020 04:41 PM

National coach of the year. Our program only trails Gonzaga in non-P6 revenue. CAG deserves top 25 money. Let's not make the same mistake we did with Coach Donoher.

San Diego Flyer 03-26-2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcross (Post 624358)
I mentioned this earlier in the year, but Grant's starting salary was over 3x more than Archie's starting salary. Most of the upgrades Archie received in year 3 were likely already built into Grant's contract. Different situations when hiring an assistant coach with no head coaching experience versus a guy who has been a head coach at two different programs.

With that being said, it would not shock me it all if they reworked the deal after this season.

Not that much different than Big Business. You can gain salary by moving around. They don't reset the clock. In fact moving around taps into the often false thinking that you are valued more somewhere else. But it pays more. Grant did well in VCU. Took advantage of the delusional thinking of Alabama that they are going to be the next Kentucky. Set him up for a nice bump from Dayton. Life is good.

Jeff 03-26-2020 08:24 PM

Didn’t Archie get extended “below the radar” at one time?

Perhaps it’s already been done!

EliteEight 03-26-2020 10:40 PM

I studied under Neil at Dayton during my undergrad and actually turned down a couple of projects to help him with UD Athletic finances. Hindsight is 20/20 (that probably would of been good for my career).

I digress, I'm saying this to say that Neil is incredibly bright. His leadership back then was evident and I'm sure it's improved over the years. I have absolutely no doubt in Neil taking care of Grant and our program.

By the way, never say anything bad about Penn State in front of Neil. The man loves his Alma mater...

flyerman 03-27-2020 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 624397)
Not that much different than Big Business. You can gain salary by moving around. They don't reset the clock. In fact moving around taps into the often false thinking that you are valued more somewhere else. But it pays more. Grant did well in VCU. Took advantage of the delusional thinking of Alabama that they are going to be the next Kentucky. Set him up for a nice bump from Dayton. Life is good.

Archie went from 700K to 1.1M to an offer to stay north of 3M at UD. Grant's package at Alabama was about the same as he is now making at UD. If you have a hot coach and Grant will be the hottest name this offseason, you "reset" or take a substantial risk they will leave.

Medford 03-27-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 624422)
Didn’t Archie get extended “below the radar” at one time?

Perhaps it’s already been done!

I believe Archie got extended twice, the first only got press b/c it leaked out during the week prior to the Sweet 16 games, the 2nd time it was barely a blip on the news as I think UD fans kind of expected it.

NJFlyr71 03-27-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EliteEight (Post 624426)
By the way, never say anything bad about Penn State in front of Neil. The man loves his Alma mater...

OK I promise as long as he promises to get Penn St in a Home & Home! ;)

bcross 03-27-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerman (Post 624434)
Archie went from 700K to 1.1M to an offer to stay north of 3M at UD. Grant's package at Alabama was about the same as he is now making at UD. If you have a hot coach and Grant will be the hottest name this offseason, you "reset" or take a substantial risk they will leave.

Archie's total compensation for calendar year 2016 was $2,050,519, which was his last full calender year. Paying Grant won't be an issue.

CE80 03-27-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 (Post 624454)
OK I promise as long as he promises to get Penn St in a Home & Home! ;)

Seriously. I'm sure they think they are above us based upon their 21-10, 11-9 season but they are the type of 2nd tier P5 program that should schedule us. Of course, I think it is the second tier P5 programs that benefit most from the 20 game collusional conference scheduling.

Chris R 03-27-2020 04:29 PM

A lot of coaches have financial performance incentives. Regular season title, tourney title, NCAA bid, Top-25 final ranking, Sweet-16, Team GPA, APR score, etc. Im sure AG cashed in on a few.

If Grant didn't have "payment of $XXX,XXX.XX for being named Associated Press National Coach of the Year", it will certainly be in the next draft.