UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   HS game swaps free throw shooters intentionally (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32704)

cj 01-03-2019 01:21 PM

HS game swaps free throw shooters intentionally

rollo 01-03-2019 01:56 PM

Is 'unsportsmanlike' offensive?? Shouldn't it be 'unsportspersonlike'?

First of all, it should never happen. I don't care if the Octo-mom had 8 boys and all played basketball. That's why there are numbers on the uniforms. I don't call a foul on Joey Smith. I call a foul on #23. And if it's a shooting foul, I will point out the shooter to my partners who then set up the teams around the FT lane while I report the foul.

If all 3 varsity officials missed this, they are meat.

If the King catches this happening, the player who shoots (and shouldn't) gets a 'T' for illegal FT shooting and the coach gets tossed after getting a 'T' for unsportsmanlike conduct and another for attempting to show up an official.

TA111 01-03-2019 02:15 PM

If the coach, who is their father, was complicit, then he should not only be tossed from this game, but should also get a multi-game suspension imho.

Furio 01-03-2019 03:53 PM

Even worse is the father/coach is the school principal.

TheDuke2003 01-03-2019 04:32 PM

They should be made to forfeit every game this can be proved was done, and the head coach should receive a multiple game suspension by whatever league they are in.

Gazoo 01-03-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 567704)
If the King catches this happening, the player who shoots (and shouldn't) gets a 'T' for illegal FT shooting and the coach gets tossed after getting a 'T' for unsportsmanlike conduct and another for attempting to show up an official.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA111 (Post 567706)
If the coach, who is their father, was complicit, then he should not only be tossed from this game, but should also get a multi-game suspension imho.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 (Post 567719)
They should be made to forfeit every game this can be proved was done, and the head coach should receive a multiple game suspension by whatever league they are in.

Oh yeah? I think he should be publicly flogged, drawn and quartered, and then use his innards to heat the school during the next basketball game. :eek::eek:

It's gamesmanship. If you get away with it, it's part of the game. If you get caught, I have no problem with the T from rollo.

CvilleFlyer 01-03-2019 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 567724)
Oh yeah? I think he should be publicly flogged, drawn and quartered, and then use his innards to heat the school during the next basketball game. :eek::eek:

It's gamesmanship. If you get away with it, it's part of the game. If you get caught, I have no problem with the T from rollo.

Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are good at gamesmanship!

TheDuke2003 01-03-2019 11:40 PM

Quote:

It's cheating, and if you get caught the penalties should be severe. Great job by dad letting his kids know he doesn't have confidence in his other sons to take those shots, really capturing the spirit of youth athletics there.

OSU Flyer 01-03-2019 11:54 PM

Didn’t this happen with Kentucky under Pitino with Travis Ford?
Posted via Mobile Device

steverino015 01-04-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 567738)
Didn’t this happen with Kentucky under Pitino with Travis Ford?
Posted via Mobile Device

yes

He suspended starting guard Travis Ford, starting forward Jared Pric*ett
and reserve center Gimel Martinez for one game... twice in a game against
Vanderbilt, the wrong player went to the free throw line...

the next game against Tennessee, he suspended them.

Gazoo 01-04-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 (Post 567736)
It's cheating, and if you get caught the penalties should be severe.

So I trust you don't drive 1 MPH over the speed limit? Not "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine" but if you intentionally drive 1 MPH over that's a serious breach of ethics, and you should never be able to hold a job again.

Playing football, if an offensive lineman holds he should be kicked off the team. I mean, coaches actually teach guys the proper way to hold so they don't get caught, but the rules are pretty clear. That's intentional cheating = multi-game suspension.

If you are taking a charge and the guy really doesn't make any contact and you fall down hard, you should be kicked off the team. There's no room for that in sports.

In all these examples there are prescribed penalties which should be followed. I don't think "multi-game suspension" is the penalty prescribed, and nobody needs to fall on their sword and volunteer for a multi-game suspension. I think the refs just need to pay attention and do their job.

UD62 01-04-2019 02:30 PM

However one sees the punishment for the action, Having the coach,( father and principle) act the way he did and intentionally violate the rules is not an example that should be given to the young. Of course if the coach's motto is" it is only cheating if you get caught", and that is the new standard of behavior then maybe he should get a commendation for doing what it takes to win.

TheDuke2003 01-04-2019 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 567789)
So I trust you don't drive 1 MPH over the speed limit? Not "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine" but if you intentionally drive 1 MPH over that's a serious breach of ethics, and you should never be able to hold a job again.

Playing football, if an offensive lineman holds he should be kicked off the team. I mean, coaches actually teach guys the proper way to hold so they don't get caught, but the rules are pretty clear. That's intentional cheating = multi-game suspension.

If you are taking a charge and the guy really doesn't make any contact and you fall down hard, you should be kicked off the team. There's no room for that in sports.

In all these examples there are prescribed penalties which should be followed. I don't think "multi-game suspension" is the penalty prescribed, and nobody needs to fall on their sword and volunteer for a multi-game suspension. I think the refs just need to pay attention and do their job.

I may not like it, but if I get a ticket for speeding 1 mph over the limit, then that's still within the rules. Penalties like holding have a determined penalty, so that comparison is bunk. This would be more like the Patriots deflating balls, or taping other teams practices, both of which caused rather harsh penalties.

Honestly, I think it offends me more as a father than it does as a sports fan.

Gazoo 01-04-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 (Post 567816)
I may not like it, but if I get a ticket for speeding 1 mph over the limit, then that's still within the rules. Penalties like holding have a determined penalty, so that comparison is bunk. This would be more like the Patriots deflating balls, or taping other teams practices, both of which caused rather harsh penalties.

Honestly, I think it offends me more as a father than it does as a sports fan.

But you're saying breaking a rule intentionally and with malice is the problem, aren't you? So if you intentionally go 1 MPH over the limit then you have intentionally broken the law and you should throw yourself in jail.

But, you're also saying that if the OHSAA (or whoever) passed a rule that said "any team caught trying to intentionally swap FT shooters will be assessed a technical foul" then it becomes a defined penalty (like holding, and unlike deflated balls which did not have a defined rule), and then it ceases to be a moral problem for you? Just the existence of a rule book which addresses the specific act is how you draw your distinction between moral and immoral?

Well, I'll just say that's an interesting take on life.

San Diego Flyer 01-04-2019 04:27 PM

I think we should have a good laugh over the whole thing and how clever and original it was.

And then when we are through, suspend all of them for the rest of the season.

What are they going to do next? Slip over to the scores table at halftime and alter the number of personal fouls they have so they get a couple extra?

Flyer2 01-05-2019 01:15 AM

Quote:

As a former teacher and basketball coach I’m ****ed off. I believe the OSHA shoud suspend the coach and look at banning him. If identified two of the sons should be suspend for a game.

Games that this happened in should be forfeited.

Additionally, the school superintendent should suspend him without pay and bring him before the school board to have him reprimanded with that going in his permanent record. He is an embarrassment to the school district.

And that is Gamesmanship Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time. Bring back the stocks in the town square and the rotten fruit......No Rocks

UDGutter2 01-05-2019 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 567789)

I believe many of the sports rules listed above are players trying to get an advantage over their opponent. Swapping free throw shooters, or faking charges, to me, are more of trying to pull one over on the official. Trying to trick the official, who has a very tough job, is unsportsmanlike, and rises to another level.

Gazoo 01-06-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 (Post 567847)
I believe many of the sports rules listed above are players trying to get an advantage over their opponent. Swapping free throw shooters, or faking charges, to me, are more of trying to pull one over on the official. Trying to trick the official, who has a very tough job, is unsportsmanlike, and rises to another level.

Kind of like pretending you didn't touch a ball on the way out of bounds when you know you did? FLOG HIM!!