Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Dayton to AAC?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 12:33 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,592 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Absolutely. Respect the job Mark Schmidt has done immensely. The A10 really lucked out when Boston College didn't hire Schmidt.

The A10 is fortunate to have some schools that have coaches who are better than maybe some of these programs "deserve" -- Schmidt, Martelli, McKillop, and now Dambrot. I think when you look at other basketball-driven leagues like the MVC or WCC vs the A10, it's the quality of coaches that have separated the A10 more than anything. It's easy to look at resources and amenities, but those really don't tell the story.
I have tons of respect for Schmidt too, and agree he has done a fantastic job with what he has to work with.

My comments about SBU have nothing to do with Schmidt, but the program and school as a whole. As has been pointed out, their above 500 record out of conference is due to the cupcakes they schedule and crappy RPI yearly. Yes, SBU is better than Fordham or LaSalle, congratulations, but still not who UD should associate with in conference affiliation if you want to look at improving long term.

Out of 351 NCAA schools, 68 make the big dance yearly, and another 32 make the NIT. I would never be happy if my team makes the NCAA 10% of the time, and the post season only 20% of the time. If the A-10 is to be a top 7 conference, that means you need to have nothing but programs who are consistently in the top 100 in the country at least 50% of the time, if not more.