Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 11:30 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
It may have been a big reason, but lets not act like if I changed my last night to Jordan I'd get drafted anytime soon. There are a ton of players who put up much better numbers, for much better teams, but many of those players don't have the length, athletic combo to succeed in the NBA at any point. I love what Josh Cunningham brings to the Flyers, and wouldn't trade his production next year for whatever Kostas would have provided for the Flyers next year, but Josh's body type, and athletic ability leave very, very little chance of working against NBA players.

Kostas already has the height, leaping ability and length that are needed to impact the game. If he had Josh's strenth and work ethic, he'd be a shoe in. Its a gamble, but that is typical of many late 2nd round NBA picks. How many euro's have been drafted, stashed overseas and never see an NBA arena because they don't develop like they hoped. With the G-League and what it has morhped into, there is a much better path for NBA teams to take a risk on a kid with the unteachable skills that Kostas has and hope that they can develop the teachable aspects of the game and turn him into a useful NBA player.

So perhaps there are a 1,000 kids who put up better stats, perhaps worked harder, perhaps cared about their education more, there are not 1,000 draft eligible kids with a better shot at sticking to an NBA roster some day no matter their last name. At the end of the day, size and athletic ability matter a ton in the NBA. The NBA doesn't care about what you did in college, nor who hard you studied (to an extent) they care about what they think they can mold you into over the next 2-3 seasons.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
John C. (06-22-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-22-2018), Lowd&ProUD (06-22-2018), San Diego Flyer (06-22-2018)