Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 12:20 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,597 Times in 750 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
The only reason we are not in the BE is that we have not been invited. Yet.

It is a good fit for all, except our TV market overlaps Cincinnati, which the BE already has.

Villanova - Roman Catholic
Butler - Has Christian roots, though now not affiliated with any religious order
Creighton - Catholic (Jesuit)
DePaul - Catholic (Vincentian)
Georgetown - Catholic (Jesuit)
Marquette - Catholic (Jesuit)
Providence - Catholic (Dominican)
Seton Hall - Roman Catholic
St. Johns - Catholic (Vincentian)
Xavier - Catholic (Jesuit)

Another point brought up that I agree with AM and his future at UD.
If we were to join the BE, along with our fan base and facilities, he stays. Or at least, his jump-to list shrinks considerably.

I do not think we are Villanova, but I also do not think we are far behind XU, Butler, and Creighton. Those teams are in 2nd, 3rd and 4th place.

There is something to be said about Wichita State and Gonzaga, and that we can be just fine as a big fish in a small pond.

Gonzaga - would be an excellent fit for the BE, if not for the 2000 miles that separate them from the bulk of the BE, not to mention the schools on the east coast.

Wichita State - they have a good program, but are not geographically ideal, and also not a Catholic school.

If we get an invite, we are there. And I think given the way that conferences are seemingly always looking to expand, an invite may not too far away in the distance.

(Feel free to correct me on any of the religious orders, etc)
Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (01-30-2017)