Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2020, 02:34 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

UD Dave has a spectacular aura aboutUD Dave has a spectacular aura aboutUD Dave has a spectacular aura about
Chris, this is the best piece of writing that I have read in a very long time. You accurately state not only what this team is about, but also what the City of Dayton is about.

I passed your piece along to a dear friend who is Dayton-born and raised. Like me, she's a long-time Dayton fan and a UD alum. What you wrote moved her to tears. She asked me whether UD could beat Kansas were they to face each other in the tournament. While not as eloquent as what you wrote, here is my reply:

Depending on match-ups I believe that UD can beat anyone in the country right now. KU had to win in OT against UD early in the season. KU is the consensus #1 team, and the metrics show that. But I believe that UD and maybe another half dozen teams are capable of beating KU.

UD is greater than the sum of its parts. They play with more heart than any team that I have ever seen. They play as a team. These guys like each other. They pick each other up and know who to go to and when during the course of a game. They play with joy. There is no fear in their eyes -- only determination and quiet confidence. They've taken everybody's best shot and have lost just twice -- on neutral courts, in OT, by a total of 8 points. One could argue that just two more points in regulation -- two points -- and this team is 31-0. It boggles my mind.

The guys need to keep listening to AG and continue to play as they have been all season. Only in fleeting dreams did I ever think that UD could challenge for a national championship. I can barely remember 1967. What happened in 1984 with Chapman was a surprise, which seemed like it would be as high as Flyers could fly. Then a few years back, the fun that was True Team and taking down tOSU. I have seen so many Dayton teams. I have cheered them all, but none of them has ever played like this team. I never thought that I'd see the day. Yes, this team can beat KU. Yes, this team can play for a national championship.

Last edited by UD Dave; 03-08-2020 at 02:36 PM..