Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: McKinley Wright
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 08:55 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
It's a little trickier than that. The one entity that gets screwed the worst in this situation are the recruits. The recruit used all the precious time he had to research and find his best fit. In most cases this means coach/basketball first, school second. The recruit can now go back to his 2nd and 3rd choices but there's a good chance that there's no openings there. If the recruit doesn't want to play for the new coach, wants to play for the former coach and there's a spot that the former coach can use this player, then is it ethically right to refuse to "poach" him?

Now I agree that if Archie initiates the opportunity before being contacted by the recruit, this is dirty and unethical. But if the recruit finds it important to his college basketball career to play for Archie and there's a spot for him and the recruit initiates contact, I think Archie's ethics priority goes to the player rather than his former school.
Your logic is so ****ed-up on so many levels...where do I begin or should I bother? I guess I will...

>>>The one entity that gets screwed the worst in this situation are the recruits. <<< Exactly how? Does the recruit still have a UD scholarship sitting there waiting on him?

>>>The recruit used all the precious time he had to research and find his best fit. In most cases this means coach/basketball first, school second. <<<
If I were gifted enough to play and be recruited to be a division 1 college basketball player, would I be looking at my likely career AFTER basketball and what the SCHOOL offers in terms of career development/degree? What happens if the coach dies before the player ever makes the first practice? Shouldn't any coach be telling these guys your chances of making it to the "well-paying pro level" is like 1 in 100?

>>>If the recruit doesn't want to play for the new coach, wants to play for the former coach and there's a spot that the former coach can use this player, then is it ethically right to refuse to "poach" him?<<<
All to often, when a coach leaves and a new coach is hired, you see the new coach cleaning house to make room for "his" recruits to follow him. See John Calipari (any place he's ever been) and watch his "actions". How completely unethical is that? Someone else suggested that players should be able to follow the coach when his coach leaves to take another job. That should only be allowed to happen without penalty if the new coach (in this case Dayton) tells the player he's been released from obligation. If Archie poaches players from UD, he'll destroy any legacy (and respect) that he's earned.

Last edited by longtimefan67; 03-28-2017 at 09:13 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-28-2017), jack72 (03-28-2017)