Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: McKinley Wright
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 10:09 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
All to often, when a coach leaves and a new coach is hired, you see the new coach cleaning house to make room for "his" recruits to follow him. See John Calipari (any place he's ever been) and watch his "actions". How completely unethical is that? Someone else suggested that players should be able to follow the coach when his coach leaves to take another job. That should only be allowed to happen without penalty if the new coach (in this case Dayton) tells the player he's been released from obligation. If Archie poaches players from UD, he'll destroy any legacy (and respect) that he's earned.
I have no problem with Calipari or anyone else coming in to a new situation, and being honest with the new guys regarding playing time. That strikes me as the ethical thing to do. Now, it does really suck though if a new coach comes in and says basically you are very unlikely to get playing time in his system as that essentially forces you to transfer and sit a year. But it is what it is.

Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer View Post
Well, Calipari is "very close" (in fact, possibly related) to the Millers, and he basically lobbied for Archie to get the IU job, so.....
You know I find myself not disliking Calipari quite as much. He's definitely slimy. And I still don't like him by any stretch but I think the guy is not all bad. Mostly bad, but not all bad. If there's one redeeming quality about that guy, I think it's loyalty to his guys. The Millers are his guys. He grew up with them. They are cousins or whatever. John Miller coached him. So he's going to bat for these (his) guys, no matter what.

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
So at least one person picked up on the subliminal suggestion...he IS in fact related to AM. Hate to say this (on second thought, I don't hate to say it...) but this reeks of JC's influence...
Not sure what you are implying. That Calipari is trying to screw Dayton? Calipari couldn't care less what Dayton does. Dayton does not really pose a threat to how he operates. Conversely, Kentucky and Indiana are always going to do battle for recruits (and fans since their fanbases overlap). So there's really no reason for Calipari to endorse a candidate for the Indiana job. Except that it's one of his guys. If he loses a recruiting battle somewhere along the way because of it, so be it. He stuck up for a Miller because those are his guys.

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 03-28-2017 at 10:16 AM..
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-28-2017)