Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 08:41 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I apologize for all the complaining, but I am really upset by this hire.

Archie was not mentioned for any jobs either before he took over.

From what I have seen of him at Alabama, I think this was a poor hiring decision, I feel like he was only hired because he is an alumnus, his resume is not that strong IMO.

I feel like we have taken a definite step backwards.

We worked so hard to get to this point, and I feel like it has all been pi**ed away.

At least some of the other candidates that had no hc experience had an unknown ceiling.

I would have given the job to one of Archie's assistants. I also feel that a case could be made for John Brannen.

I would have also been ok with Whitford, Paulus, or Groce, since they are part of the Sendek tree.

Hopefully his time at VCU is more indicative of what we will get.
Archie was mentioned for lower level jobs at both OSU and UA. It was also well known he wasn't taking SoCon or OVC jobs.

I don't understand how anyone can prefer Groce. He never had the success in the MAC that AG had in the CAA and his time at Illinois was much worse. I know you haven't but those talking Felton look at coaching record, which is also inconsistent and spotty, and ignore the cloud of ethics that have followed Felton IIRC.

As perplexing is the disregard for the success people like Alford, McDermott et al have had after getting canned at a P5 job.

And of course many mention Brannen, who I think will be a successful coach. But they are projecting off of one year. What would they have projected for JOB.

An internal hire was an option. But Ostrom has been an assistant for about 20 years. Maybe he is just happy with that. I don't think Griffin is ready but Kuwik might be.

Six years ago people would have killed for AG. I don't think his time at Bama sheds a lot of light just like Iowa and Iowa State did not for Alford and McDermott.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
big jordan (03-31-2017), FLYER5 (03-31-2017), JimBo (03-31-2017)