Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 10:59 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
That is not what I am saying at all. The numbers help me decide things like when to foul when you are up 3 with seconds to go but if you foul and the player makes the first and misses on purpose and this team rebounds the ball and shoots a 3 to win, I don't count that as a win because statistically I should have won. Losing a close game when the statistics say you outplayed the other should not count as a win.
So, across an entire season, don't "the numbers help you decide" who the best teams are? (This assumes the point of the tournament is to select the best teams, which may not be your basis for selection.)

In your scenario, you seem to be clearly painting a picture that the better team lost. It's unlikely that happened 25 times in a season, so across a large enough sample size the numbers should point you to the better teams. But you would instead select worse teams for the tournament that under-played their opponents and won on flukes? Or do we use the eye test when the stats fail to show us the expected answer?

Just playing devil's advocate here, but, it seems like you either trust the metrics or you don't. Or, you trust a few of them but not others, which might be fair but would require a lot longer discussion than "sometimes yes and other times no" because there would need to be case-by-case reasons why you don't trust those metrics.