User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 08:17 AM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
We got down here in July, my wife's PhD program is only 3 years long, so we are trying to experience everything we can in the short time we are here. Mid 30's, two kids and a dog, we don't really fit in with the large traditional college crowd on campus.

The traditions are a little intense if you are an outsider (or even a graduate student). Freshman are required to go to a training orientation called FishCamp, where they learn about the Aggie traditions, chants and history. I've heard it called brainwashing, but if UD had it, you better believe I would have been first in line to attend.

When you go to football games, Yell Leaders (cheerleaders in uniform) will call out certain chants and the crowd will respond accordingly. We were invited to Midnight Yell, a pep-rally of sorts at the stadium the night before the game. 40k strong filled half of Kyle Field. It was very intimidating not knowing any of the chants or hand movements, but I could see how it would be very cool if I'd started there as a freshman.

Over all, we are enjoying our stay so far, even some of the military aspects of the Corps of Cadets. Our kids got a private tour of their Cadet horse stables by their head Cadet.

That being said, I was disappointed by the crowd at the basketball game. However, yes, at football games it is asses to elbows. Also, there are 60k students here and less than 200k in the city, so it's all about TAMU all the time. We hope to catch an SEC game later this season, I'll report back.
Mad Props to Justin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-03-2017)