Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 04:05 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,873 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
For those of you who may be thinking about becoming an official but really don't like reading rulebooks, here's what I dealt with last night during a GWOC freshman/jv doubleheader:

1st Qtr:

1 minute into the game a visiting player tells my partner to 'blow your f**@%ng whistle' after a bump. He makes a mental note of her number. 2 min later, during a loose ball with girls diving everywhere, the same visiting player intentionally kicks home player in the mouth: (intentional foul)

Visiting coach adamantly and arguing that there was nothing wrong or hurtful with the kick: (technical)

2nd Qtr:

Visiting Varsity coach walking on floor to tell freshman coach not to play 2 kids (should be automatic 'T' but with all the chaos a polite discussion was had)

Visiting coach insisting that we end the 1st half with 19.5 seconds left because he was benching 2 players: (I don't have that authority so we finished the half playing 5-on-3)

3rd Qtr:

Now playing 5-on-5!!!

Visiting player walks out of time-out with blood soaking her jersey, bends over and spits out what appear to be teeth (was just a flesh wound) and proceeds to hack, cough and spit out blood, flesh and lunch onto the court: (injured player, call the janitor who took all day to get there...meanwhile trainers and coaches worked to get the girl off the court)

Coaches ask the refs if they can do a running clock to speed things up: (Again, I don't have that authority but told them I wouldn't look at the clock the rest of the game)

4th Qtr:

Home team backed off and the clock ran smoothly except for FTs.

JV Game:

Prior to tipoff, I ask the scorekeeper if all the numbers and players match up properly. She reviews the books and gives me a thumbs up!

1st Qtr: Home coach, a little bit too high strung, is 10 feet onto the court screaming at his team to hustle. I remind him to stay in the coaching box and he tells me 'I'm coaching!' to which I say 'then get in the box!' and make a mental note to 'T' him up the next time he's on the court 'coaching'.

2nd Qtr:

Scorekeeper gives me a triple horn and calls me to the table. She tells me the home team has wrong names and numbers listed in the book and wants to know what to do.

I tell her it's 1 Administrative Technical on the JV coach and all errors can be corrected. Also said to the Adm Tech counts as a team foul...After the Technical FTs, I tell her it's a throw-in at midcourt. She disagree and says it's 'point of interruption'. I disagree and she's so sure she's right that a varsity official in the stands is consulted...and the ball is inbounded at midcourt. Half ends....WHEW! Not really.

Just before starting the 3rd qtr, I'm now told that the Adm Tech, because it was a team foul, put the team into the 1-and-1 bonus and we should have had a 1-and 1...so what should we do? Shoot the 1-and-1? or ignore the Rule. At this point I'm just hoping to get home by midnight and declare that this 'isn't a correctable error' and we're just starting the 2nd half...

3rd Qtr: 2 girls, hustling all game, run into each other playing defense, knocking one down and out! I mean she's gone. I immediately stop play and call out the coach and trainer. 10 min later she wobbles - with help - of the court. Concussion protocol??? Do I even ask?? Or wait to be told?? If I'm told, there are reports to fill out...after discussing situation with parter and varsity officials, we decide to wait for them to approach us and will do paperwork if and only if told the player was concussed...

4th Qtr: Teams back off and game ends.

So....who wants my job???

UGH!!!

Last edited by rollo; 12-07-2017 at 04:11 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigudfan (12-07-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (12-07-2017), Figgie123 (12-07-2017)