Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: DUQ vs RI
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 08:12 PM
Just off the Jet

RunninRams has a spectacular aura aboutRunninRams has a spectacular aura aboutRunninRams has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
A couple thoughts from yesterday.

1. While watching Duquesne almost upset RI, I thought their coach deserves to be named A10 COY. If Hurley goes undefeated in the A10 he will probably get it, but the Duquesne coach will have earned it if the Dukes finish 2nd.

2. While watching the UD-SLU game, I thought we would probably be right where we are today even if AM hadn’t left. At best we might have two additional wins, but no way we would have 4-5 additional wins. We are just so young with so many new and inexperienced parts. And we certainly are not deep.

3. RI is just the opposite. 2 year’s ago they were 17-15 and no post-season with a coach that was in his 6th year. Last year 25-10 and upset Creighton in 1st round of NCAAs before pushing Final Four Oregon to the limits in a 3 point loss in the 2nd round. This year they are sitting at 18-3, undefeated in the A10 and ranked 24. This is Hurley’s 8th year at RI. I expect AG and staff to get to a similiar point only in the next 2-3 years.

4. UD is hard to watch some games (especially early in the season). And it’s sure frustrating to travel this rollercoaster of win today lose tomorrow win the next game path that defines this year. But I see improvement. We couldn’t play man defense for 4 minutes earlier this year. That’s gotten better. Crutch, Trey and Jordan have all gotten better and more confident. JC has an inside game that defies logic at 6’7”. I think DD hadn’t been great the last couple games, but I expect him to finish his career strong. It should help if we can finally get him 3-5 minutes of rest each game the rest of the way after having to run him 39-40 every game. X, KA, Crosby, MS need to find a way to contribute more, but I don’t see any of them hurting us badly like they were early in the season. My hope is two of the four kick it into a higher gear before the A10 tourney.
This is only Hurley's 6th year at URI, not 8th.

and your point about 2 years ago is flawed...that year they only had EC Matthews for 10 minutes, and Hassan Martin for half the year. if not for losing both players, they are a tourney team.

2014-15: EC and Hassan sophomores, 23-10 (13-5, T-2nd) and NIT
2015-16: 17-15, No EC, and limited Hassan
2016-17: 25-10, A10 title, round 32

it took him 2 years to turn the team around from 8-21 to 23-10