User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 01:01 AM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Arena staff need the fans to swallow a few chill pills in the first few weeks as they evaluate things and tweak accordingly. All the hard modeling and science in the world can't account for real world execution. What might look like a good idea in blueprints may be positively stupid in production. To expect no hiccups is to expect too much. Remember, the Arena renovation is not going to be complete for another year. I suspect a LOT more will even change on the side that's "finished" -- in fact Neil told me it would. It needed to be functional for 2018-19 and it will be. But it wont be spit-shined and polished until 2019-20.

When this sucker is complete, we're going to have the best of both worlds few facilities in the country will be able to match -- historic bones and architecture and history combined with the latest and greatest in modern amenities. There will be no other crib like it.

If I had one "add-on" on my wish list it would be to echo ud69s comments on adding windows to the west wing. In my opinion nothing has done more to modernize, breathe fresh air, and tie the upper Arena closer to the lower Arena than adding that huge wall of windows. I know its not much of a distance difference, but the top of the Arena suddenly looks 100ft closer. Its changed the entire feel of the seating area, looks beautiful, brings some of the outside in so we're not feeling like we're in a cave, and that bar-top landing area is gonna be lit. Those upper seats are gonna be in high demand. It will be a like its own mile-high club and have its own vibe you cant get for thousands spent down in the 100s.

If UD could duplicate that entirely on the west side with the windows as well, I think it would be the cherry on top. And now's the time to do it. Certainly a challenge to build over top the DBC, but that's why God invented engineers. Im guessing it would add another $7-10M to the budget. That's a day's pay for Rollo while he takes $5 selfies with his fans on Muscle Beach so maybe we (he) can make it happen.
Totally agree with everything Chris, especially adding windows to the opposite wing. I felt that design element really
made the new arena unique. I was really bummed to hear they were only on one side as the original designs
only showed one side of arena. I also feel they skimped on the windows from the original design. I remember
them being much larger and angled and flush. The newly installated are smaller, more inset and have
the piping or “trimming” which I’m not a fan of. Plain plated windows are much sharper. Looking forward to seeing the
arena this winter with my freshman son. Haven’t set foot in the place since my graduation 30 years ago. Pumped for
the season to start!
Posted via Mobile Device