Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 07:21 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
A thought

Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
Robins Center at Richmond opened in 1972. Renovated in 2014 for $17 Million.
Ryan center at URI built in 2002 cost $54 Million ($73.5 Million in 2017 dollars)
Chaifetz Arena at SLU built in 2008 cost $80.5 Million ($91.5 Million in 2017 dollars)
Eaglebank Arena at George Mason built in 1985 for $16 Million got a $10 Million renovation in 2009 with additional scoreboard upgrades in 2012.
Hagan Arena at SJU built in 1949 and renovated in 2009 for $25 Million.

I haven't been to the renovated Robins Center, but I've been to the others. All are smaller than UD Arena. Ryan (7657) Chaifetz (10,600), and Eaglebank (10,000) are first class facilities. Hagan (4200) is nice, but very small even after adding 1000 seats. The Hagan renovation was to add other facilities more so than to enhance the arena.

Not everyone in the A10 is not willing to spend money.
I have been Ryan several times....a very nice facility. URI is serious about men's BB.

What appears to set our Arena apart...based on the architects rendering, the video, etc,..as well as the starting point....is that the Arena appears to be a entertainment venue, so to speak. The space and investment allocated to food, drink, relaxation, ambiance, etc.,...all of the above,...is well above anything I've ever seen at a basketball facility. There's a game going on, all right. But UD Arena involves much more than just being at a nice sporting venue....in my opinion.

I haven't seen the Arena in 30 years....well before past renovations. But the 2019 version should be absolutely out of sight. I'd love to see it in my lifetime.

Go Flyers!