Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 09:55 AM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Here's my concern with the A10. I think the league can basically do everything right for the next 5 years and be in a worse position in terms of seeding and at large bids. It's great that the league has been consistently getting multi bids but there's no guarantee that'll be the case going forward.

ACC/Big 10 teams with a 20 game league schedule is going to position their bubble teams to be in a better shape to get an at large bid. I believe you'll see an ACC team go 10-1 or 9-2 in OOC play against a soft schedule and 8-12 in the ACC with a couple wins over the top tier conference teams & get an at large bid with a 18-13 or 17-14 record.

As more and more money rolls into the Power 5 conferences from TV money those schools are going to pump money into facilities, bringing in higher quality RPI teams for buy games (driving up the price for UD in those games) and investing in coaches/assistant salaries.

Case in point for this is Nebraska. They've built a new arena and moved into the top 10 teams nationally attendance and have top tier facilities. Northwestern is spending $110 million to renovate their basketball arena. 10-15 years ago Dayton looked a lot more competitive recruiting wise against the bottom tier schools of the power 5 conferences.

The AAC is a direct competitor for the few at large bids outside the power leagues. With marquee programs in that league down recently like UConn & Memphis the AAC has managed to win a national championship, have a team get a #2 seed, have multiple teams get 5 seeds and sign McDonald's All Americans. A10 can't do those things

Hurley & Penny get UConn & Memphis back on track to with Wichita, UC, Houston, SMU and potentially a revived Temple and I don't think even the biggest A10 homer could tell me that the future of AAC basketball isn't far brighter than the A10
100%. They will be moving light years ahead of the A10. It'd be a great conference!

football be ****ed. Who cares!
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (05-19-2018)