Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Why was this not your call as the trail official? In the situation you described shouldn't your co worker be under or near the basket the offense is trying to break the press and score at?
Against a press, the 'lead' is at midcourt and I'm on the back baseline...so he has the front of the action and I have the back. As play moves forward, so do we.

Originally Posted by Lowd&ProUD View Post
So what is the protocol here? Let's say the guy who's responsible for the call doesn't see it, but one of the other officials clearly sees a violation. Are officials really taught to not make the call? I find that hard to believe.

My guess has always been that when that takes place and nothing is called it's because one official doesn't want to "show up" the one that missed the call, especially if the one that missed the call is the lead official with more seniority/clout, etc.
You call your 'primary' unless there is overlap (3-man crew)...if you get some raw official who wants to call everything he sees, all he will do is follow the ball and ignore the off-the-ball contact. If this rogue official makes calls in my 'primary' it means 2 things...(1) he's ignoring off-the-ball play and (2) making the other official look ignorant. Should an evaluator be there observing both (or all 3 officials), and assuming the rogue official got every call correct, he would be ripped apart/demoted for not doing HIS job. ..which is to know and officiate his primary.

Just because you see contact doesn't mean there is a foul...which is why you don't make someone else's call(s). They have a different angle and perspective that MUST be respected. It's this way with every sport.

Have you ever seen a 2nd base umpire call a player 'safe' at 1st base? NO! It's not his call.

Or a home plate ump call a base stealer out at 2nd? No...it's not his call.

Should a Biology teacher grade your Calculus quiz if they see it in the teacher's lounge? No, it's not his subject.

Should a coworker tell you that your wife has nice ta-tas? No, unless your a member at DCC.

Make sense??? If you're still confused, I'll let the Rock explain it...