Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 09:49 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
So my only choice is crap college with scholarship or ??? And then your rebuttal is some people aren't meant for college? I can't tell what your point is. So I'll try to address it the best I can.

1. Most athletically gifted kids will have multiple offers, and can choose based on their own priority, including academics, athletics, etc. But if it was one college athletic scholarship and not a good school, then my academically talented child would go wherever we thought was best regardless of any athletic opportunity.

2. Yes, I get that many are not a good fit for college. But take a look at your top athletic players and think about what opportunities they may have. If they don't make it in a minor league system, what do they fall back on? It's easy to say some sort of trade or manual labor, but opportunities are limited even there, especially where many of these kids come from. So given an opportunity for a free education with all the support the schools give kids with tutoring etc., why not try to change the trajectory of their life and future generations?
Maybe it would be more clear if the situation was reversed: what if all of the US's 2-year technical schools fielded the best basketball teams. Would you say to your kid, "you've got a shot at the big time, you should attend ITT Tech for 2 years and see if you make the NBA. If it doesn't work out, at least you'll be better off since you got your degree in culinary arts." Well that just sounds ridiculous because your son could find a way to burn water, and can't even make toast for himself, and has zero interest in ever being a cook / chef. That would just be a waste of 2 years of school. Then he comes out 2 years behind his peers when he goes to UD to become an accountant.

My point is: don't mash together 2 things that are unrelated. You're already implicitly assuming in your comments that "your" kid was already going to go to college anyway, so why not get it for free. If your kid had absolutely no inclination or aptitude for college prior to becoming a good athlete, why do you suddenly automatically assume that college MUST be a better choice for him after he becomes a good athlete?

"This Picasso kid could potentially play PG for us here at Northwesteastern Southern University A&M by the time he's a senior, let's convince him he really needs an accounting degree so he'll come play ball for us for 4 years. At least he'll be better off since he got his degree."

The example is ridiculous and of course Picasso might have actually had a better life as an accountant than an artist, but the point is: our society has reached an extreme point where we automatically assume EVERYONE is better off having gone to college. It might actually be a total waste of time, or worse, put you on a terrible path for your skill sets. Some people are destined to be a welder. So what? Weld your heart out. Go live a nice peaceful life as a welder.