Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 05:07 PM
General

Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
So the reason for the year in residence rule is because of the money? Is that what you're saying? That's why men's basketball, football, and other high revenue generating sports such as women's basketball, baseball, and ice hockey have these rules?

Okay, maybe it is.

But if that's the case, then I guess by changing the rules to make it more like the other sports that don't make any money at all must mean that they no longer want a rule in place that is about the money.

I really think that you're both wrong. I think it's about paperwork. Or, more specifically, wanting less of it. It may sound like I'm kidding, but I'm not. They don't want to deal with waivers, and this is a way to not have to.
The rule is there to protect the school, not the athlete. Let's be totally honest here. Schools didn't want their own talent poached by other schools. If they're going to invest millions in luxurious stadiums and donor packages, they need to know they're going to have a consistent product on the field where they have a little bit of control.

Now, back when there were >100 serious contenders for talent that was a problem. But what if we play 20 game conference schedules and lock out the little guy from the NCAA tournament? What if non-P5 schools can't keep up with the stipends of the big state schools? What if, through conference realignment, you slam the door shut on the majority of your competition?

Well at that point the football schools only have about 20 - 30 serious contenders who control all the money, and basketball has about 30-40. No need to transfer from Notre Dame to Wisconsin, they're at no serious risk.

It's the same logic that says "you can get into the NCAA tournament, just beat someone in March to prove how good you are."
"No one will play us in March except our crappy conference foes."
"No? That's a shame. Here's your NIT bid."

They can just say "you're free to get transfers too, what's the big deal?"
"No one will transfer to a school who has no hope of making the NCAA tournament due to conference realignment etc."
"No? That's a shame."