Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Dayton to AAC?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 08:56 PM
Colonel

ClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant future
A few weeks ago I was very opposed to the idea of joining the AAC, but I am starting to more legitimately consider the benefits. Travel would be terrible, of course, but it's already not all that great in the A-10. But what intrigues me is that the members of the AAC are essentially all national universities, whereas the A-10 is full of schools that would be considered by most definitions as regional universities. I believe that UD wants to be seen as the former and not the latter, so institutionally I think that the AAC is more in line with our goals (even if no other AAC school would be Catholic). And the AAC has a strong presence in the Sun Belt, which I also believe has been a focus for recruitment in recent years.

In regards to athletics, the AAC is a slight but definitive step up for mens basketball, and assumedly an improvement in almost every other sport as well. I think that this is true even if a few (say, no more than 2) AAC members bolt. If more than a few were to be picked up by a Power 5 conference, being stuck with the leftovers would be worse than the current situation. But if that were to happen, that's when serious conversations about forming a new conference with the best remaining AAC, A-10, and MVC could be initiated.

Last edited by ClevelandFlyer05; 04-10-2017 at 08:59 PM..