Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 10:09 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Prediction: Charles Cooke has less minutes in the NBA than Chris Johnson when all is said and done.
And to be clear, you said on another thread that you mean "0" when you say less, correct?

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
T

The same games you are watching. I agree he is a slasher but he often mishandles or has the ball taken from him when he gets in the lane. Last year when he was evaluated by the NBA scouts his remarks from the committee came back that he needed to improve his ball skills but I can't find the article now. I did find this scouting report from Vanderbilt before this year's game so I'm not the only one that thinks this. "Charles Cooke leads the Flyers in scoring and excels from everywhere on the court offensively. The 6’5” wing isn’t much of a ball handler, but he’s shooting 51% from two and 39% from three while drawing 6.3 fouls per 40 minutes." I'm not saying he isn't a good player because I think he is and I think he has an NBA style game but ultimately I think his lack of ball skills is what will prevent him from succeeding at that level. We can have different opinions on this and the only way we'll know for sure is to see what he does next year and beyond.
I think you're both confusing the issue. Open court ball handling is poor. I am not at all comfortable with Cooke bringing the ball up the court or dribbling around the perimeter. So from that perspective you're right, his ball handling is not great.

But straight line drives to the basket he's much more than adequate. Contrast him with Chris Wright who had the ball poked away 3 or 4 times a game. Cooke RARELY loses the ball in traffic going to the basket. So in that sense, he's an excellent ball handler.

Don't jump in with "there's no such thing as a straight line drive in the NBA." Sure there is. Cooke has the strength to straight line drive in the NBA. He's not LBJ, but adequate. And his defense is very good, and his outside shooting is very good, and his rebounding is very good. He's got a lot of skills that NBA teams want.