User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 12:11 PM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
That's my guess. He may be trying to balance an IU paycheck against some proven UD stability (and, probably, a decent paycheck as well). Plus, if it's true that he eschews the limelight (as in, he'd rather be a well-compensated assistant/associate than a head coach), then he may be giving UD some serious consideration. And frankly, MW connection notwithstanding, I always thought he seemed to be a good guy, and a good rep for our program.

Would love it if you'd stay, Coach Ostrom. If you don't, well, that siren named B1G is obviously hard to resist.
Posted via Mobile Device
I highly doubt it's money. If AG tells Neil this is the guy I want, pay him--then he will. UD is already 'saving money' on what they will be paying their HC this year versus last year, so even if they bump up Ostroms comp, the program will still be coming out ahead. In the grand scheme of things we are talking maybe 100-200grand out of an almost $14m budget. That's roughly 1%. But like I said they aren't paying AG what AM made, so they come out ahead either way.

Let's not forget UD mens basketball revenue is higher than any other A10 school, and even Gonzaga FWIW, so adequately compensating a coach will never be the issue if that's what Neil thinks can keep this money train going full speed ahead. Especially as we raise funds for an expensive arena renovation.

IF Ostrom is weighing a job at IU v UD, it's likely for the same reasons AM left UD. At the end of the day you're coaching at Indiana, not Dayton. I think a more realistic scenario would be him debating if he wants to be #3 on AM staff or #2 on AG staff.
Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-04-2017)