Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute
3)Brian Gregory. Gregory has recruited exceedingly well at Dayton despite some problems finding a topflight point guard. His teams are athletic, tough and physical. Sure, the offense has been a sore spot at times, and Dayton still isn’t a consistently good road team, but Gregory’s pluses far outweigh his minuses. I think he grew a ton as a coach last year and we’ll see the fruits of it this season.

A B C? - doesn't amount to a hill of empty Beast cans to me...But, perhaps we can agree on the following?
* A head coach in any sport (college for this discussion) has many different responsibilities (recruiting, in-game coaching, staffing, ambassador of the program et.al.) and to be considered a successful head coach (A), he or she MUST do a majority of these things very well (A)...And chances are that if he or she does most of them at an A level, success will follow.

Therefore, given that a coach has more to consider than a simple overall grade, what matters most to me is that BG continues to get A's in the things he does well, and that he improves on those things where he needs some work.

Given the opinion at the top of my post, IMO it is no small thing that BG's teams don't play well on the road and that he has had very little success in the A-10. So, he gets some A's, some B's, and a couple C's for his total report card. And I'd imagine that BG, more than anyone, knows where his game needs improvement and that he's gonna work his tail off in that phase of his game, which should translate into more succees for the Flyers.

IMO, what matters most is BG's improving on the parts of his game that don't warrant an A.