Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 11:59 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
Correct. I did not refute the impact on the local economy. Truth be told I've never really specifically assessed how it impacts the local economy.

I was making three points...

1. It does not generate any significant revenue for the institution or conference, who are actually saddled with doing the work

2. It does not generate any publicity or exposure for the institution or conference. I think Chaminade manages to generate about fifty times the exposure for itself by hosting the Maui than any team or conference generates for itself by hosting the NCAA Tournament.

3. The vast majority of schools would rather not host it. This last point is not a mere supposition on my part.

And hey, if a school wants to host, then good for them! Someone's gotta do it, and it might as well be someone else. They should do what they like for whatever reasons that they like. I'm not saying they're making a mistake. I'm saying that I'd rather not do it, and I am by no means the only person that feels that way. In fact, when I said that hosting sucks, I said it to convey that I don't think there is really anything to feel bad about in regards to not getting any first/second round games.
Fair enough. No one argued it was a huge moneymaker for the host universities. As pointed out, it's a much different story for the host cities. You may not have researched the economic impact, but others have and have found it to be a considerable boost. But as to point 2, I think a number of people here have successfully argued that the First Four does have publicity value for the university and Dayton in a way that one-and-done hosting doesn't. Your analogy to Chaminade isn't far off of what First Four advocates might argue. Long-term associations count for something. And I'd only add to your third point that, again, most schools don't bid because they don't have the capability to host. No doubt some don't want to; no doubt some want to and can't.

Last edited by The Fly; 04-21-2017 at 12:02 PM..