Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 10:27 AM
General

Thanked 5,455 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
One grad transfer that can play the 5 will change everything. We have experienced starters and good role players...Grant needs to find an anchor for the middle.
I don't think we need a 5 to put us over the top. A 5 continues to leave us with 2 sophomore starting guards who will have a lot of scoring responsibility, plus counting on another freshman (Cohill) for outside scoring and as the only real attacking guard. Relying on freshmen usually isn't a winning formula and 2 sophomores + 1 freshmen getting a lot of the shots isn't my preference. Mikesell and Trey are very good supporting cast (that do well when they're not drawing the #1 defender) but not leading men, and unless we can get a 5 like Big Steve at this point in the process (we can't), it's going to be a big body who rebounds and plays defense. There are worse things in life since this would create a very balanced team, but "good" at every position just makes us "good." I have a different preference.

I would prefer a 6'5" - 6'7" scorer who can fill it up, draw the majority of the defensive attention, and can also play some defense. A guy like Cooke or Siebert who can take over a game and put up 20 while skying for a key rebound with his athleticism. Push Mikesell to first guy off the bench with Toppin giving Cunningham a rest (go small).

A guy like that is like adding a big bat in the middle of the lineup, everyone else starts to see better pitches because they are scared of facing him. Adding a 5 at the quality we'll get is like adding a light hitting shortstop with a great glove; sure it makes the team better but it's not a game changer.

If we can't get a guy with that kind of skills (they're admittedly not easy to find either), then sure, a 5 would help round us out.