Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 02:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,722 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Any certified softball umpires out there???

After 13 years of baseball I walked away never wanting to squat behind another plate ever again. But enough basketball refs and multi sport officials convinced me to get OHSAA certified in softball that last year I took the dive and here, in my 2nd year, am loving it...but not as much as basketball.

In softball there are few if any complaints, few pitching changes etc...and games fly. I can finish a game and at the adjacent baseball diamond they are typically in the 4th inning. If a coach argues and gets tossed, they are fined $200, have to sit 2 games and must accompany their principal to Columbus to take an anger management course...I'm not kidding! The kids are nice, parents cheer FOR THEIR KIDS, and umpires (at least I am) are thanked by parents when walking to their car after the games. Baseball is completely the opposite, which is why I intentionally walked (pun royally intended) away from it.

And the pay is better than basketball...I did a junior high game last week and got $66 for 2-hours of 'work'.

Easy money out there for all you who want more. And the King always wants more...and more...and more!

I also do soccer...and am being pressured to get certified in Lacrosse, too. And football...but I'm hesitant as I don't want to come across as being greedy to anyone...

In all seriousness, there are a lot of competitive and athletic people on this site...and with a shortage of officials in every sport, you really should consider taking a class.
Agreed, Rollo persuaded me to get my softball certification and he is right. There are no arguments or they get shipped off to Columbus. It is good money if you look at it as an hourly rate. I may even get certified so I can ump this summer after the High School season ends.

You would be amazed at all of the different scenarios that are reviewed in the rule book and the case book.