Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 10:14 AM
General

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
^^^

I don't think the impact on ticketing, travel, fans, facilities, hotels and airplanes would be all that huge. Using the last 4 games, I'll assume everyone in the conference will have 2 home games in that stretch, and 2 road games. I'd even venture that they could set it up that you'll know prior to the start of the season if you are playing on the road on a specific date, vs playing at home. The only thing you won't know is if where or whom you are playing. If a team has to host, its pretty easy for C-USA to set up an arrangement with a hotel knowing that some team will have to use the rooms and facilities on those specified dates.

Travel is a little bit more tricky, but I'd assume you could set up an arrangement knowing that you'll have to travel somewhere (most likely unless you happen to get a game that you can easily bus to and get back in the same day, ie if UD was playing at Cincy or Butler) but those are contractual agreements that everyone knows up front and can set the out clauses (ie buyout clauses) based up standing circumstances well in advance so there are no hurt feelings.

Traveling fans get the shortest end of the stick, however I'd argue that few teams travel well, and probably far less in C-USA than in the ACC. However, if your team stinks, then you are probably not inclined to make a long trip no matter what, and if your team is good, you may be willing to jump on a travel deal at the last moment to catch your team and its hopes of securing an at large bid.

I think the downside is rather small. In C-USA the upside is probably fairly small in what is traditionally a 1 bid conference, however something similar in the A-10 which usually has 2-3+ teams in the dance it could be huge.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (05-31-2018), Whacker (05-31-2018)