User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
Red face

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
No..."We" don't see UD as destination job. UD may be a destination job for a 51 year old head coach. Not a 32 year old, aspiring for banners, head coach. When your mid-major university hires a hot coach...anyone with a clue knows you are the stepping stone. You don't have to like it, but anyone that understands UD's position and the nature of college basketball, gets it. You are second fiddle to P5 schools that have the ability to compete for E8 spots on a regular basis. Like it or not, there is a ceiling here and if you think that ceiling competes with the likes of UNC, Duke, Kansas, IU, etc...year after year, decade after decade...you are kidding yourself. Can and should UD compete for these E8 positions from time to time? Yes. But to expect it year after year with the regularity of the P5 schools that do it regularly, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Ok...so a couple recruits bounce. Cupboard bare? Hardly. It is laughable that some think that this team was going to be "cupboard bare" "rebuilding" even with Archie at the helm nest year...come on. St. Louis is rebuilding. UD was and will be dealing with some adversity. The guys on the roster now aren't bums and will be able to hold their own.

Archie owes you, me, us, UD nothing. He was hired to coach the game, mentor young men, and be an ambassador to UD. Nothing more, nothing less. He did that and he did it well.

The level of butthurt over losing a coach is something else. If you didn't see this coming, you weren't paying attention. This year. Next year. Three years from now. It doesn't matter. AM leaving at any time is going to be a tough pill to swallow and a hurdle that UD hoops has to get over and one they were going to have to get over. AM wasn't staying here for 30 years and retiring from UD. He had a short list of schools, most likely 3 of them...and one of the 3 came up. Had one of those 3 not opened up this year, he would still be here IMO. He wasn't shopping around and looking to get out when the first school came calling.
Please --- I respectfully request that you refrain from being condescending (and somewhat insulting).

Of course I saw it coming (as I stated earlier)...Of course it is business... BTW I suspect that I have the experience and success to train most people (perhaps even you) on business practices, establishment of goals, balancing work and family, career objectives...etc. etc. Don't preach to me...please...unless of course you have a successful track record of managing hundreds of people... I could be go on but I would be preaching too.

It may be "laughable, don't have a clue, kidding yourself, setting up for failure...etc. etc." Please...will you check your post to ensure that I have captured your multiple condescending insults.

My point is that this coaching IS a business and I don't like it. Archie is a master at it. For some coaches (but not all) it has the same rules as business. It is conducted as a business. It has no identifiable loyalty, personality, commitment, values...etc. etc. Again, I could go on. It is a pay for play business...BUT...it really is unlike any other typical business.

Business in the US has no FANS. It is business and solely business. If you want to be a money *****...then go for it. People don't care. I think most of us can all agree upon this opinion.

When you enter "FANS" into the equation...the norms change. Your fans have an emotional investment in you. They care about you, your family, your contribution to the community, etc. They follow your (in this case Archibald) silly sport and hope that you have invested in them too...i.e. the fans.

When you leave for more fertile ground, you should (IMO) carefully craft your exit. It is respectful. It is recognition that you have loyal fans. In Archibald's case it is plain good business. Again, would you like me to train you on intelligent and successful business practices and communication? But then again...that would be preaching in a condescending manner...I will refrain from this (at least on this post)

You mentioned St. Louis building ...their last 3 seasons are:

11-21
11-21
12-21

If we suffer through 3 season like this...I respectfully request that you put this date on your calendar and 3 years from now tell me again how you respect Archibald and his success in building a sustainable basketball business.

Last edited by UDTradition; 04-03-2017 at 06:27 PM..