Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Dayton to AAC?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 11:25 AM
General

Thanked 4,345 Times in 2,136 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
In order for UD to have any real sway, they've got to establish that they have another, legit option. Perhaps the AAC or The Big East is a legit option, behind closed doors, but publicly there is little indication that either is eager to include UD, VCU or anyone else from the A10. They also need to have a majority of the conference think that keeping UD, VCU, etc.. is a long term determent to their success. I doubt they'd ever admit, but you have to wonder if some at Duquesne would be happy to see UD, VCU & SLU leave as it eases the door for them to win an autobid. It certainly doesn't appear that they plan to spend at a similar level as any of those schools, hard to compete in the long term if you are always behind the 8 ball.

Not all these institutions want or have the ability to compete, long term, at what UD. VCU or SLU are attempting to do. The A10 has seen Pitt, Penn St, West Virginia, VTech, Xavier, Butler, Charlotte, Temple, Nova, Rutgers and Duquesne all leave at some point (Duquesne obviously rejoined), so its not like many are not used to operating with different leadership.

What I'm trying to say, is that there is a chance no matter how much pressure UD thinks it can apply, or perhaps even has applied, there may be little they can do to move the needle at some schools. The longer I've thought about this, the more I think that the AAC needs to be examined, particularly if that move includes VCU. Long term, attaching our stake to VCU & Wichita St (and possibly SLU) may serve UD basketball better than attaching their stake to St Joes, Bona and GW.