Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Crosby
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 10:06 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
CraSch obviously knows what leadership means. I really disagree with Smitty. While Smitty lays out a possible scenario that would tick off JC, I have to point out that we're not talking about a gang induction ceremony here. AG wasn't handing each person a gun and telling them to shoot a crack head so JC "did the right thing."

They . . . was . . . run-NING. . . as Forest Gump would say. They are athletes, and they were running. Heck if anything it was good for them. That's leadership by JC to rebel?? No way.

And when JC turns the ball over 3 times in a row in practice, his teammates are going to be run-NING. Even if AG didn't warn him ahead of time that would be the punishment.

Like the punishment or hate the punishment, it's irrelevant. It sucked. You're a team. And you go through sucky punishments together. And you never make that (completely unacceptable) mistake again to avoid that (completely predictable) sucky thing again.

This is really poor leadership. He lost his head, take him back, but wow that's poor.
I don't know why I bother. But here goes. I never once said that Crosby did the right thing. I was referring to how someone said he loses the respect of the players. My point was that might not be the case as players who were in the same boat as he was might actually appreciate someone rebelling.

I can understand that when a team under performs due to lack of effort or discipline or some other reason the coach feels stems from mental error that the whole team feels the wrath afterward no matter if they played or were just spectators. But to punish the whole team for the non-basketball sins of a few is a terrible concept IMO. Kind of the opposite end of the spectrum that everybody gets a trophy that was on display this week with the Flyers MVP awards. And yes, I can relate to having the new boss coming in and turning everything upside down and resenting it.

But again, nowhere did I say that Crosby handled things the right way. I just said that he doesn't necessarily lose the respect of his teammates who I'm sure probably feel the same way about this new way of deciding who gets punished as Crosby and yes, I do.