User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 08:04 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Not so sure about that. He is the 8th all time leading scorer with 1806 points, and he averaged 4.3, 4.9, 5.8, and 6.8 assists in his career. The most assists Scoochie ever averaged was 4.5, and obviously didn't have nearly as many points. I wouldn't call Negele's first three seasons of 7.1/4.3, 14.8/4.9, and 13.9/5.8 meh. Of course his final year of 22.8/6.8 was extraordinary.
Collectively speaking my comment is a little over the top based on his stats.. My comment was influenced strongly by my opinion that Scoochie was a better, more valuable college pg than Negele.
But yeah, you're right, thanks for retrieving the stats. Actually Knight is one of my favorites. I rate him 3rd behind 1) JD 2a) Scoochie 2b) Bobby Joe H. 3) Negele Knight.
The thing is that Scoochie was a win-facilitator. Stats will never bear out how valuable and key in critical wins his performances were. Negele was never The Man like that that I recall before his senior year.
Negele couldn't hang with Scoochie around the goal. Outside, yes he was a better shooter. A really good handle plus he played in the era of hand-checks. I would still take Scoochie's handle and overall ball-handling skills. Scoochie made a mark by lifting his team to where they got for three of his four seasons. So lifetime achievement goes to Scoochie too.
I think Negele was a slightly better passer but it didn't seem to show up in the clutch like Scoochie's​ crunch-time passing. Negele had an awesome stretch run his senior year. Take that away and he's not in the discussion as Scoochie's peer. Scoochie facilitated wins for practically the duration of his time here.

Last edited by FLYER5; 05-11-2017 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: Misspelled Negele's name a bunch of times
Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (05-10-2017)